2017 GPF Ladies SP | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Ladies SP

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe they are within (some, not all - or at least compared to how some other skaters get carrots for similar landings from panel) but they don't look completely backwards either. Combine that with the fact that Satoko jumps also are excessively prerotated (today they definitely were) and it should be punished even according to the current rules. But there's no even one < in her protocol and +GOE on top of that :confused: :noshake: Satoko should have been in the 6th place today with her score somewhere in 60s. I was glad to see that her PCS were properly rewarded again (finally) but that TES makes me uneasy. Anyway receiving high PCS does not prop you all that much when other contenders receive similar (Zagitova's nonsensical scoring imo ) or even higher PCS. And yes a case can be made about some junior Eteri girls being more refined than Zagitova is atm.

But her PCS was not properly rewarded. She received 35, which is averaging below 9. Zagitova got the same and there is no comparison. If Zag is a 35, then Satoko has to be higher. And the tech score is not all jumps. Satoko's non-jump elements are among the best. Her spins are definitely the best among this group of competitors.

FSLover17

On the Ice
Bit late to the party but my thoughts are:
Kaetlyn - WOW! Her jumps are huge and this program is perfect for her!
Alina - I'm not a big fan of her program but that 3lutz-3loop is fabulous! As anyanka said, her nerves regarding the short seem to be gone and she always skate well in the free.
Satoko - I'm completely in love with her Memoirs of a Geisha :luv17:! I think her URs were a little generously overlooked but I love the Tiny Queen!
Maria - This is one of the best SPs I've ever seen her skate and she looked very calm out there!
Wakaba - Puzzled why her score wasn't higher :scratch2:? Anyway, she was excellent!
Carolina - Beautiful as usual. I love this SP and her expressiveness! Even being 6th with all these amazing performances sets her up as a contender for OG so I'm happy.
Overall really impressed with the ladies!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
But her PCS was not properly rewarded. She received 35, which is averaging below 9. Zagitova got the same and there is no comparison. If Zag is a 35, then Satoko has to be higher. And the tech score is not all jumps. Satoko's non-jump elements are among the best. Her spins are definitely the best among this group of competitors.

I know right, that's why I wrote down that it does not help her much anyway in that context (bar just being happy for a while). She was not properly rewarded in this sense when you compare her with someone like Zagitova.

ks777

Record Breaker
Upon rewatching, Satoko should've gotten URs on both her 3Lz and 3T, pre-rotation aside. Well anyway, i'm just happy she's getting 35 PCS for her beautiful program. I actually prefer her skating more than Caro's now.

I agree. Satoko should have gotten underrotation calls.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Alina and Satoko were not the only ladies here. And if Satokos PCS should be higher shouldn't depend on Alina being generously scored there.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Just caught up with the Ladies SP. Awesome level of skating, it's nice not to see a splatfest this time.

Satoko : Gorgeous skating and gorgeous program. Jumps are tiny but she rotates them more. I enjoy watching her a lot.
Wakaba : She skated really well and her technique has that japanese knee bend that is so nice.
Carolina : too bad about the mistake, you can see the maturity in her skating. She has gorgeous lines.
Maria : Very well skated program, she has quite the elevation on the jumps. She could give us more to get those PCS.
Kaetlyn : what a performance, so powerful. This SP suits her so well. Huge jumps and great spins.
Alina : That combo is everything. I wouldn't have given her those PCS to be honest (and I have a soft spot for her). Still, such an improvement for her SP.

Overall, the level of skating is quite astoninshing.

Ender

Match Penalty
Upon rewatching, Satoko should've gotten URs on both her 3Lz and 3T, pre-rotation aside. Well anyway, i'm just happy she's getting 35 PCS for her beautiful program. I actually prefer her skating more than Caro's now.
Higuchi was robbed because JSF is obsessed with this kind of beautiful skating that Miyahara has. They totally ignore Higuchi and push Miss Pre-rotation and under-rotation.
Shameless.

russianfan

Match Penalty
Higuchi was robbed because JSF is obsessed with this kind of beautiful skating that Miyahara has. They totally ignore Higuchi and push Miss Pre-rotation and under-rotation.
Shameless.

Can't agree more.. for me, Wakaba is undoubtedly the best Japanese lady at the moment. Even Kaori is better than Satoko overall, i would say

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alina and Satoko were not the only ladies here. And if Satokos PCS should be higher shouldn't depend on Alina being generously scored there.

Actually, it should, if the scores are to have any credibility.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Shameless.

In general, Japan seems to have a massive dislike for "strong" skating for ladies and is more about the cutesy princessy feel.

Higuchi is a power skater so it's obvious why she gets mistreated by the fed.

FSLover17

On the Ice
Actually, it should, if the scores are to have any credibility.
:thumbsup: I'm fine with a 9 in the components becoming the new 7 as long as that applies to EVERYONE. As much as I love Alina, Kaetlyn and Satoko, they can't be getting huge PCS, +GOE on ! or ignored URs while other people still have to suffer. Its not fair.

FSLover17

On the Ice
In general, Japan seems to have a massive dislike for "strong" skating for ladies and is more about the cutesy princessy feel.

I didn't watch 80s figure skating. What were the fed like for Midori Ito?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shameless.

I don't agree. Satoko has been on the scene longer than Higuchi. She is a World silver medalist, a 4CC champion and a two-time GPF silver medalist. She is a proven competitor. Higuchi didn't do well at World's last year (11th)or at 4CC's (9th). She has done well this year, but is not yet established as a top competitor. I like Wakaba very much and hope she is on the Olympic team. But the Japanese federation would be crazy not to want Satoko on the team. And so far, she is giving them good reasons to choose her.

qwertyskates

Medalist
It's obvious because with current standings it's likely that Alina is going to win overall. That's why there is all this "lol pcs" waterflow.

Alina is a representative of the interim generation of skaters. She is past the previous one - I am sure it will be a piece of cake for her to hold the lines, to do telegraphed jumps, to have many crossovers. She could have brought whatever musicality and aesthetics some users here find in the previous generation. Because it's much easier than what she delivers. And it does not go the other way - Caro with all due respect has been never capable of doing what Alina can. Too hard - continuous difficult transitions, difficult combos, backloading. All this is rewarded and rightfully rewarded. And the loss in pcs aspects for me is only in the eyes of beholders who dream of the old good times when the grass was greener.

As I said Alina represents the interim generation before the new one come forward. They will be able to do everything that Alina is doing plus 3As and quads. Sasha Trusova may be the first representative of this new generation. Anna Scherbakova if well may join her. It will never be the same: skaters with just a 3-2 combo won't get to GPF no matter how much "musicality" and sacred SS they profess. We have to wait for several years more. And Eteri agrees with that.

This is exactly how I feel. If she had skated Kostner's program, she would be able to skate with deeper edges and faster speed. I'm not saying her SS is great, she is more delicate than muscular like Higuchi, but it isn't that bad, or she won't be able to execute such difficult content. She is doing intricate non-stop steps and moves in the field, they don't allow her to breathe, not to mention maintain a strong flow. She is playing up her strength and playing down her weaknesses. Her programs are therefore unfamiliar, because we are so used to the other style of skating.

For this same reason, I prefer Satoko's intricate skating and spins over Higuchi's, even though Higuchi has better jumps and is more powerful across the ice. Power isn't everything, and aesthetics have changed.

anyanka

Record Breaker

Too bad as it used to be about powerful jumpers. *ahem* Midori Ito, who was never "princessy" but the most technically proficient lady the world back in the day. Times have changed!

anyanka

Record Breaker
I didn't watch 80s figure skating. What were the fed like for Midori Ito?

She was the Mao Asada of her day. World champion and Olympic silver medalist, THE darling of the sport and long the lone rep for it in Japan. Like Mao, she had to apologize to her country for winning silver (1992). She even had the honour of lighting the Olympic cauldron in 1998 Nagano, you can see it on YouTube. :)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
?? No, it should simply mean then that Alina shouldn't be getting PCS as high as she is.

That is a legitimate way to look at it. But if she (and others) are given ridiculously high PCS, then a skater who is better should receive a higher score. I think I said in a previous post that Alina should have received a 33 in PCS. Then Satoko's score would have made more sense.