2017 GPF Ladies SP | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Ladies SP

Ender

Match Penalty
I don't agree. Satoko has been on the scene longer than Higuchi. She is a World silver medalist, a 4CC champion and a two-time GPF silver medalist. She is a proven competitor. Higuchi didn't do well at World's last year (11th)or at 4CC's (9th). She has done well this year, but is not yet established as a top competitor. I like Wakaba very much and hope she is on the Olympic team. But the Japanese federation would be crazy not to want Satoko on the team. And so far, she is giving them good reasons to choose her.
JSF just want Miyahara and totally ignore that if the tech panel want to, Miyahara might have placed last here. Too bad Olympics won’t be in Japan. Tech panel at the Olympic might rightfully call Miyahara’s jumps. And by that time they still ignore Higuchi even if she’s doing well. Higuchi will never ever get the scores she deserves. JSF is not smart. They put all on one lady who doesn’t even have fully rotated triples. I feel so bad for the rest.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
JSF just want Miyahara and totally ignore that if the tech panel want to, Miyahara might have placed last here. Too bad Olympics won’t be in Japan. Tech panel at the Olympic might rightfully call Miyahara’s jumps. And by that time they still ignore Higuchi even if she’s doing well. Higuchi will never ever get the scores she deserves. JSF is not smart. They put all on one lady who doesn’t even have fully rotated triples. I feel so bad for the rest.

She's 16. Give her time. And there are two spots on the Olympic team so Higuchi is likely to be there, too.

anyanka

Record Breaker

Well, they'll be in Korea, which is Japan's longtime nemesis ... :slink:

zblc015

Rinkside
Why was everyone so monstrously overscored? I’d keep the same order but drop everyone’s marks by 4. Alina had a step out and slightly rushed (but not as bad as usual), Kaetlyn’s presentation was super messy (thought we’d left that behind in last season) with a dodgy edge (which was still given +2 and +3), and Satoko’s jumps are barely worth + GOE. If Wakaba would add in her gorgeous 3A, I’d be distinctly more impressed. Canadian and Russian judges seriously overscored Alina and Kaetlyn...

But, I’m glad that it’s all set up for an exciting fp. All to play for!

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Higuchi was robbed because JSF is obsessed with this kind of beautiful skating that Miyahara has. They totally ignore Higuchi and push Miss Pre-rotation and under-rotation.
Shameless.

It's a great pity Wakaba cannot change countries. She'd actually be appreciated somewhere else, unlike in Japan, where this is happening.

I wouldn't just call it shameless, by this point, I'd even call it criminal, and I'm sad that this sport is not popular enough to get the media interested in this type of thing as frankly, nothing else will cause them to change.

Miyahara will continue getting away with her disastrous jumps. Wakaba, and the other ladies, can just watch and take it.

FSLover17

On the Ice
She was the Mao Asada of her day. World champion and Olympic silver medalist, THE darling of the sport and long the lone rep for it in Japan. Like Mao, she had to apologize to her country for winning silver (1992). She even had the honour of lighting the Olympic cauldron in 1998 Nagano, you can see it on YouTube. :)

Midori was a star. I don't buy the Japanese like princessy-types argument.
:thank: One more question. Is Satoko popular back in Japan? Is it related to their popularity? Because Mao was (and is) immensely popular but Japan didn't politick for her :shrug:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
But the Japanese federation would be crazy not to want Satoko on the team. And so far, she is giving them good reasons to choose her.

Of course they want her on the team. Her jumps aren't being called, something they make sure of, and the little princess can enjoy her ice time. Unlike the other skaters who actually have to work for it, and rotate their jumps, and know that if they mess, the panel will call them on it.

Yeah, she's giving them great reasons ... thanks to them protecting her.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just saying someone should get “insert a number” for PCS is really an ineffective way to make a point. That’s not how it works because a skater with higher difficulty but less focus on interpretation can reasonably score the exact same as someone with an easier program but better interpretation via their transitions and SS. For example if I were a judge I’d normally expect to score Satoko in the 9’s for interpretation but low to middle 8’s for SS and TR where as the reverse would be true of someone like Alina or even Wakaba who I find to be able to keep their scores high via intensity and ferocity in their execution. The reason I say it’s ineffective is because the actual “insert a number” for PCS still needs to be factored with eight other judges but even so....a 34 can be achieved in completely different ways and even the judges may get similar numbers by various means.

It does make me a sad panda to see Wakaba and Masha getting the scores they’ve been getting. IMO...they’ve been the most consistent and overall sound Ladies this year. Unfortunatly usually only one or two judges on the panel agree with me and the scores suggest otherwise.

I’m really starting to prefer Juniors where the PCS marks are far less influenced by reputation and better at addressing the differences in styles and execution. I definitely prefer to see the technical abilities deciding medals than PCS cushions for the judges pets.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The (Sotkova) program was dated and dull and - can't she DO any other kind of jump, arm-wise??

They interviewed her on this...check her fan fest to read her own words.

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...ria-Sotskova&p=1858795&viewfull=1#post1858795

I love her programs though and find them really enjoyable. Not too much fancy pants trickery or my personal annoyance of overt sassy dramatics. Just easy breezy and really relaxing to watch. However she started off as a junior as a bit of a unique cat. This is one of my favorite programs ever. Love the tribal vibes in the end.....Check it out :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPRAbYQJoHc&app=desktop

chloepoco

Medalist
Of course they want her on the team. Her jumps aren't being called, something they make sure of, and the little princess can enjoy her ice time. Unlike the other skaters who actually have to work for it, and rotate their jumps, and know that if they mess, the panel will call them on it.

You're stating this like it's a fact--how do you know this is "something they make sure of"? And how do they "make sure of" this? Are you saying JSF is bribing each and every judge at every event?

enzet

On the Ice
Overall a very well skated event.

I liked all the performances, but can't help feeling Wakaba will never get properly rewarded for what she actually does.
Only 0.44 points ahead of Carolina with a 3T-2T, really???

As for PCS, Satoko, Carolina, Wakaba and Kaetlyn should definitely all be above Alina. Not sure about Maria.

Alina is lovely but does not have the maturity and refinement of the other girls yet.

But hey, when has PCS ever actually reflected that? :rolleye:

rikaquegira

On the Ice

I feel a "condescending" and somewhat disrespectful tone in your comment.
Calling Satoko "little princess" and saying she can "enjoy her ice time", implying she doesn't work as hard as other skaters and that's why she can't rotate her jumps... That's not only mean but untrue.
She suffered from injuries, she's just now coming back. It is said she has some sort of bone and muscle issue(I don't know what is it exactly). But what I know is that she's a hard working skater and she's doing her best.
Yes, her jumps are miniscule and pre-rotated and under rotated.
And no, she's not getting any URs. Call it politicking, call it corruption, call it whatever you want. But it's important to not direct our negative feelings towards the skater. They are just skaters, not judges.
And plus, if the only skater getting undeserved scores was Satoko...... But it's definitely not. Unfortunately, unfair scoring is an extensive problem in figure skating. I try not to be bothered by it. Sometimes is hard, but I can't do anything about it, so... Just try enjoying the performances.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

So the Japanese Federation has control over the technical panels? How did they do that? Are they paying them off?

Ender

Match Penalty
You're stating this like it's a fact--how do you know this is "something they make sure of"? And how do they "make sure of" this? Are you saying JSF is bribing each and every judge at every event?
People with eyes surely know Miyahara pre-rotate and under-rotate and doesn’t get called. It
Yes getting ridiculous. First because of her, Kaori Sakamoto was robbed at SA. Now it’s Higuchi was robbed. JSF is like: “we don’t care for girls who fully rotate their jumps. We have our beloved back. Bye”. So annoying to seethe rest of Japanese ladies getting robbed because of a girl who can’t fully rotate her jumps.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel a "condescending" and somewhat disrespectful tone in your comment.
Calling Satoko "little princess" and saying she can "enjoy her ice time", implying she doesn't work as hard as other skaters and that's why she can't rotate her jumps... That's not only mean but untrue.
She suffered from injuries, she's just now coming back. It is said she has some sort of bone and muscle issue(I don't know what is it exactly). But what I know is that she's a hard working skater and she's doing her best.
Yes, her jumps are miniscule and pre-rotated and under rotated.
And no, she's not getting any URs. Call it politicking, call it corruption, call it whatever you want. But it's important to not direct our negative feelings towards the skater. They are just skaters, not judges.
And plus, if the only skater getting undeserved scores was Satoko...... But it's definitely not. Unfortunately, unfair scoring is an extensive problem in figure skating. I try not to be bothered by it. Sometimes is hard, but I can't do anything about it, so... Just try enjoying the performances.
I can’t enjoy performances when tech panel and judges are playing dirty.