2017 JGP Brisbane Free Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017 JGP Brisbane Free Dance

bramweld

Record Breaker
I wonder if Lewis/Bye are getting enough attention from the Shpilband camp...

Igor is in desperate need of a real choreographer and real technical support. Skaters seem disappointed with him. The only ones apparently pleased with him are C/B. And this season they're already on their second FD, and who knows how many changes they'll make prior to the OG.

EDIT: He seems to be doing well though with N/N and C/P. He has a type of pair that he's adept at polishing, he doesn't really have much range beyond that though, IMHO.

bramweld

Record Breaker
That ending is so anticlimactic....

That dance is in need of perspective. It also needs a beginning, a middle and an end. Right now it looks like a hodge podge of movement. They are clearly talented in particular Sofia, but seriously was this the best material? And even after extensive monitoring during the off season, they were sent out with that? I can't imagine any other federation doing that to such a talented pair. Please don't get me started on that ridiculous costume she wears :rolleye:

chameleon

On the Ice
Igor is in desperate need of a real choreographer and real technical support. Skaters seem disappointed with him. The only ones apparently pleased with him are C/B. And this season they're already on their second FD, and who knows how many changes they'll make prior to the OG.

EDIT: He seems to be doing well though with N/N and C/P. He has a type of pair that he's adept at polishing, he doesn't really have much range beyond that though, IMHO.

I'm not sure who you think seems disappointed in him, but he has a lot of teams, and I don't think choreography is L/B's problem. Perhaps they are a team that needs more one on one time.

Giselle

Medalist
That dance is in need of perspective. It also needs a beginning, a middle and an end. Right now it looks like a hodge podge of movement. They are clearly talented in particular Sofia, but seriously was this the best material? And even after extensive monitoring during the off season, they were sent out with that? I can't imagine any other federation doing that to such a talented pair. Please don't get me started on that ridiculous costume she wears :rolleye:

I don't think their FD is that bad that it should have been stopped at the monitoring stage. They've won here after all. However I agree with you about the lack of perspective in this FD.

My main problem is that it doesn't really highlight their strengths.
Sofia is much more of a White swan than a Black swan. I know that since the movie, everyone who skates to Swan Lake wants to be a Black swan. They also usually skate close together (they've been together 8+ years already IIRC) but all you see in this FD is him skating as far as he can, trying to avoid touching her tutu during the step sequences :disapp: .
Their twizzles are usually their most impressive element but the way it's placed in their FD doesn't really highlight the distance they cover.
On the plus side there are a lot of very nice balletic movements. Unfortunately in order to perform them they spend a lot of time out of holds...

The ending is very abrupt. The back to back rotational lift, curve lift and choreographic lift seems to be a little too much for him to handle.

I also can think of other ballets that are not so overused, that they could have chosen if they wanted to stick to a balletic theme : Paquita, La Sylphide, La Bayadere,...

chameleon

On the Ice
I think Polischuk/Vakhnov may have trimmed the tutu a bit, it seemed less comically overlarge than at Lake Placid, but still larger than it needs to be. I appreciate that they wanted to use some less used parts of Swan Lake, but the sections they picked and the order they placed them in seemed kind of random and the editing was jarring and the program just sort of... ended.

I wasn't a big fan of Lajoie/Lagha's FD, but I'll rewatch later to see if I get it more. They have some great skills, I just didn't get what they were trying to portray, which might also be hindered by them dressing for two completely different programs. Their difficult twizzle entry seems a bit much for them right now, but it might be worth continuing to try as long as its not too frustrating for them, because it is impressive.

Giselle

Medalist
I'm not sure who you think seems disappointed in him, but he has a lot of teams, and I don't think choreography is L/B's problem. Perhaps they are a team that needs more one on one time.

I think Chloe Lewis grew taller over the summer. I don't remember them having such a small height difference before?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Ok... so what was the Music requirements violation for? A few teams got one naughty button pressed... but Joanne CHO / Jake MEYER got a two point deduction for it.

Marta25

Medalist
I have rewatched P/V`s FD several time and IMO it doesn`t fit them the way last year`s Romeo & Juliet did. That FD just flew by, while this feels like a lot of work, but they are on a good path to make the JGPF and probably Junior World team so I won`t complain so much.

Khudaiberdieva/Nazarov were quiet the surprise for me, his skating is very balletic and dancey. They apparently haven`t been skating long together and she is only 14, so winning a medal here is pretty impressive.

mom2cavs

Rinkside
Igor time is not their problem. Their best JGP score was 2 years ago in colorado. Eliana and Ian were there too. I believe their first JGP. LB third year. GS got a 109.09. One is getting better, one doesn't seem to improve. I personally like LB better but numbers don't lie.

mom2cavs

Rinkside
Igor time is not their problem. Their best JGP score was 2 years ago in colorado. Eliana and Ian were there too. I believe their first JGP. LB third year. GS got a 109.09. One is getting better, one doesn't seem to improve. I personally like LB better but numbers don't lie.

Oh my brain fart. LB high score was Logrona 2015 138.22. Colo was 128.25

larat

On the Ice
Does anybody understand why Chloe/Logan score was so low? I think they were not bad at all. Smooth and fast

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anybody understand why Chloe/Logan score was so low? I think they were not bad at all. Smooth and fast

In the FD, they got L3 on the twizzles and L2 on the circular step sequence, where Chloe had a balance check. Including GOE hits, they lost at least 3 points on those elements. But they got no points at all for the choreographed twizzles, which cost them another 1.7-2 points. Their PCS scores were much better than for the SD.

In the SD (which is usually their strength) they got L4 on the twizzles, but with low GOE. They hit all the keypoints on the first pattern, but only one keypoint on the second, and again got low GOE on both patterns. They got only L2 on the midline no touch step sequence again with low GOE. And they got a 1.00 deduction for choreo restrictions. The PCS for the SD was on the low side as well. I thought they looked tentative and both seemed off balance at times, which probably accounted for the low GOE and PCS.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
well here i heard quebec song... why so much french in ice dance... i know we have a beautiful language but... it won't make you skate better LOL

Because Francophones Marie-France and Patrice and Romain Hagenauer choreograph the programs for many, many teams these days, I suppose, so there are proportionally more French songs than there used to be.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Because Francophones Marie-France and Patrice and Romain Hagenauer choreograph the programs for many, many teams these days, I suppose, so there are proportionally more French songs than there used to be.

fair enough... i don't think these teams were gadbois's though ...i am just curious about it since it's rather new to my ears

Giselle

Medalist
fair enough... i don't think these teams were gadbois's though ...i am just curious about it since it's rather new to my ears

Honestly I think that it predates Gadbois' success.
My theory is that ice dance teams choose French lyrics to sound more dramatic and less cheesy since most people don't understand the lyrics in French :drama: A bit like why they skate to operas in italian.

I don't feel that French in ice dance is a new thing, I think can think of a lot of French in ice dance over the years :
- Drobiazko & Vanagas
- Winkler & Lohse
- Virtue & Moir
- Chock & Zuerlein
- Paul & Islam
- Weaver & Poje
And the list goes on, there's a lot more...

In exhibitions for singles & pairs :
- Mukhortova & Trankov
- Plushenko
- Lambiel

AFAIK singers like Lara Fabian, Celine Dion, Patricia Kaas are very popular in Russia...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you. Very Interesting. If they knew how cheesy the lyrics actually are. Lol. I think i was used to it being done by canadian teams and didnt notice how popular it was globally.

missysays

On the Ice
I've been following Lewis and Bye since their novice years and I've always been struck by their lovely musicality and sensitive touch on the ice but I wonder if they are one of those teams that technically don't quite have the chops to compete at the junior and senior levels together. It is very hard to complete all of the technical requirements to keep you in medal position as well as try and emote and retain some kind of connection to the music.

Also, wondering if they'd be better off with other partners.