2018 Four Continents Pairs SP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Pairs SP

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm so happy Ryom/Kim will be in Pyeongchang, especially after all the uncertainty.
I am so happy for them as well. I got to see them live in Oberstdorf and assumed that there was no chance that they would get to go to the Olympics. Great to see them looking happy and giving such a strong performance.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Runs in just in time for the last group!

Phew I didn't miss Katia and Harley!

But wow the place doesn't look very full does it? :( I guess everyone bought tickets for the Men's Event!

aname

On the Ice
But wow the place doesn't look very full does it? :( I guess everyone bought tickets for the Men's Event!
Does anybody know why this comp is usually held in a place where there's not much interest and few people in the audience? I don't get it.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Does anybody know why this comp is usually held in a place where there's not much interest and few people in the audience? I don't get it.

Yeah it's weird...also unlike Europeans half the top teams aren't here.

But I'm sure it's been held in Japan before? And I bet they'll all show up for Hanyu though.

On the plus side if you're there you can move down to a great seat!

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I see Katia and Harley getting ready to roll!

Although...why are the Aussie team jackets so muted, we need some green and gold up here.

LOL the Canadian guy is giving everyone good luck hugs.

aname

On the Ice
Yeah it's weird...also unlike Europeans half the top teams aren't here.

But I'm sure it's been held in Japan before? And I bet they'll all show up for Hanyu though.
According to wikipedia, it's been held in Japan twice (Osaka 2000 & 2013). This is the FOURTH time it's in Taipei (2011, 2014, 2016, 2018). Just... :confused:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wonder if Japanese fans bought all-event tickets and are going to use them only for the singles skaters.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Personally I can't wait until 4CC is in Colorado next year. It's already on my calendar... so convenient to have a best friend who lives in the host city.

ozmodiar

On the Ice

Nobody else wants to host. And Taiwan is desperate for international recognition due to being excluded from most international organizations because of pressure from China.

Tastetherainbow

Medalist

It's noon on a weekday. People have work and other affairs, so obviously not that many people are going to come.

But I guess figure skating in Taiwan is just not that popular; they're having a hard time getting seats filled even when admission is free!

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Nobody else wants to host. And Taiwan is desperate for international recognition due to being excluded from most international organizations because of pressure from China.

Poor Taiwan...they don't even get to be called Taiwan at the Olympics if I remember right? Don't they get called Chinese Tipai or something?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was just going to say. It's the middle of the afternoon on a Wednesday so people are at work, etc.

On another note: This warm-up music is atrocious!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Awwwww ..... seeing Dylan give everyone hugs right down the line was so cool. :rock::points:

aname

On the Ice
Oh yeah, that explains it... partially.

I get why e.g. USA don't want to host it often, but Japan? You'd think it'd get sold out there every time, even if a couple of the top Japanese skaters don't show up.

Now GO ASHLEY & TIM!