2018 GP Helsinki Men's Free Skate | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2018 GP Helsinki Men's Free Skate

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jackie Wong just stated that there is a complicated math where Brezina might not make the final. Apparently if Voronov wins it changes the numbers a lot. Now I'm annoyed. I always root for Sergei but I want Michal in the finals.

What is a fan of the old people of skating club supposed to do????

Cheer hard for Shoma.

TarAncalime

On the Ice
Jackie Wong just stated that there is a complicated math where Brezina might not make the final. Apparently if Voronov wins it changes the numbers a lot. Now I'm annoyed. I always root for Sergei but I want Michal in the finals.

What is a fan of the old people of skating club supposed to do????

Voronov would have to make an immensely high number of points and make the 1st place too, wouldn't he? This is really unlikely anyway....In order to win, Voronov would have to be better than Hanyu.....

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Voronov would have to make an immensely high number of points and make the 1st place too, wouldn't he? This is really unlikely anyway....In order to win, Voronov would have to be better than Hanyu.....

It is even more complicated than that.

Voronov would have to win and someone else would have to come second. I'll see if I can find the tweet. Jackie says:

Quick math, so HEAVY CAVEAT that there may be another scenario - but the only way that Brezina doesn't make #GPFinal is for NHK to end up 1 Voronov, 2 Aliev or Vasiljevs, 3 Uno, then for that silver medalist to win gold in France or silver with tiebreak

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I really, really need to shower and get ready for bed, but I ended up watching the press conference as well... I knew the questions were going to be almost all for Yuzuru, but I wanted to see the others answering questions as well. Brezina on the 4 minute rule, now that was :agree:

Junhwan almost choked when it was his turn to answer, it's those tiny moments when you can see the 17-year-old that make me love him so much. It's almost uncanny how little his voice changes between languages, it just becomes a bit deeper when he speaks in Korean. Quite a contrast between Yuzuru it makes :laugh:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
He is. Raf was with him @ SA, his old coach back in Czech republic was beside him @ Helsinki. Soo cool! The first coaches of skaters get overlooked so often because everybody looks at the star coaches only...:-(

Yeah. And all basics Michal has from loooong before. He's with Raf only like 3rd season only and I think it finallu works for him mentally. He got his quads long ago too. He kind of ditched 4T though, for real I see. I miss his two quads programs a little.... (yeah I know it mostly ended with total splats, but still, I like quads)

Anyway, super happy for Michal! :hap10: His K&C reaction was awesome too :cool:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
It is even more complicated than that.

Voronov would have to win and someone else would have to come second. I'll see if I can find the tweet. Jackie says:

Quick math, so HEAVY CAVEAT that there may be another scenario - but the only way that Brezina doesn't make #GPFinal is for NHK to end up 1 Voronov, 2 Aliev or Vasiljevs, 3 Uno, then for that silver medalist to win gold in France or silver with tiebreak

That's basically the same chances as being struck by lightning twice, isn't it?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I don't love the music or the choreography and yet I totally loved that performance.

From the costume to the 4T+3A to the Ina Bauer, it said: "I'm the king and only I could pull it off." Yuzu made it work! :bow::hap10:

As I wrote in SP thread, the thing I notice this season in particular is how impactful Yuzuru's presence us with both programs - he is totally in command of everything and controls attention of audience is a special way. I kind of think after seeing both GP performances that creating this powerfulness, magnetic pull of watching him work this music in his own way was the main purpose, to come up with being inspired by past programs, using the music, but doing re-definition when it comes to presenting/interpreting it; both programs have their references to Plushenko and Weir, but I like that they did not overpowered the impact of Yuzuru's performance, this introduction of new quality in terms of making a mark through more than clean, difficult jumps. Sure, these combos/sequences are mighty impressive even from sole attempting them standpoint, but it takes way more than it to create such an aura, a 'heaviness' that is full of purpose, emotions, not being overworked. We can argue about programs, but the performance range, impact created is raising above that I feel.

The intensity of his stare, his attack, this 'snap' in jumping, sharp poses, hand movements, head snaps reflecting on this 'drama' notion of the music, this kind of ownership taken over every aspect of his skating, how he wants to shape it and wants it to be perceived - this makes difference at the end, not the number of mistakes he made; he can improve them, but he couldn't come up with the power the program already has.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I loved the performances of Hanyu and Cha, just wonderful, wonderful to watch!!! Congratulations to both of them for the medals (especially for Cha´s second bronze)!

What has happened to Brezina or does he have a secret twin who is now skating under his name, LOL??? Anyway, congratulations for a second medal!

Why is Kolyada always looking so terribly tense while on ice and in K&C, too? He should learn to relax.

So strange how close to the boards some of Jin´s jumps are... Is that some sign of insecurity?

I liked Bychenko´s program and music very much, suited him really well.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Is Helsinki cursed with a stronger gravitational pull than the rest of the world? I swear everything looks so labored, the falls in every event, the low jumps. No one seemed immune. Must be gravity, right? :eek: :laugh:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Congratulations to the medalists! Yuzuru continues to amaze, even when not perfect he’s in a league of his own. Not at all surprised by Jun winning a medal with the way he’s been skating/competing — I think he’ll be on top of the podium in the not too distant future. I’ve always thought Brezina had talent and charisma, so wonderful to see him finally putting it all together late in his career (though as he’s still in his 20’s, he hasn’t quite reached grandpa status yet :laugh:)!

Mikhail :cry: (I guess my only consolation in not being able to get GPF tickets is that I won’t miss seeing him live :() Not unexpected, since he almost never performs to his potential in competitions, but still so disappointing to see, especially since he has such great material this season. I don’t know why I always fall hardest for skaters who stress me out the most, lol. I truly hope he sorts out the mental aspect someday.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Just want to say thank you to Ted & Jill for sweet commentary :thumbsup: :laugh: