2018 Nebelhorn Trophy Pairs Free Skate | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018 Nebelhorn Trophy Pairs Free Skate

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I really see them in that program, less sensual and more lyrical, subtle version of the song, but again a rough day in the office with jumps... I know it is lame, but I laughed out loud at synchro falls in sbs solo jumps, there should be some points for such accuracy:laugh:. I just hope this will push them harder to work on those sbs and polish more both programs.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I bet she's thinking, "What the hell have I gotten myself into?"

She sought them out, as fas as I know. And she's seen some of their not so pretty outings before. So I guess she knew exactly what she was getting into. Perhaps it's too early AND too much to ask for anyone to perform wonders in a few months time - and Aljona herself is not exactly a seasoned coach. A seasoned competitor she is. And she has mental strength second to very few people out there.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, why are there two Pairs Free Skate threads? Noticed because someone just posted there.

Thank you. It had to have been me, because I was wondering if I was the only one watching pairs!!!!! :dumb:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kinda of an observation after seeing some of the comments on Jason's Simon and Garfunkel performance. The costume didn't help, but a lot of people were saying how dated the music was.

I guess it's YMMV -- Some people consider Beatles and Rolling Stones timeless, I guess.

That was nonsense griping.

S&G were not the problem. He skated listlessly in the Long, with a lot of technical errors. His costume was irrelevant.

My greatest disappointment in the LP was that he didn't show some of the great improvements I saw in basic skating and steps that was evident in his SP.

Anyone who saw that and thought, "This would be an awesome program with a different shirt," is a nincompoop.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did you sing All By Myself? That is what I do when I'm alone in a thread.

No, but I should have! :rofl: I was so disappointed, because I love reading other people's comments! Oh well, better luck next time!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

S&G were not the problem. He skated listlessly in the Long, with a lot of technical errors. His costume was irrelevant.

My greatest disappointment in the LP was that he didn't show some of the great improvements I saw in basic skating and steps that was evident in his SP.

Anyone who saw that and thought, "This would be an awesome program with a different shirt," is a nincompoop.

I don't think it was griping. I think people sincerely felt it felt like a dated program because of the music. I wasn't bringing it up cause I wanted to talk about Jason in the pairs thread, but just to support my belief that I think people choose modern covers because they feel the original versions are dated.

And no, I don't think a different costume will make the program magically better. I also am in the minority though that I think it will be better with some reworking and some mileage. We'll see.

ANYWAY PAIRS THREAD. :p

Last edited:

newyn

On the Ice
Chris K appears to have taken a lot of stroking classes and dance lessons. He needs to keep improving and also work on his posture, which is still pretty distracting. Overall I like the changes in style the Knierims have made, even thought this program felt a bit like a cardboard copy of Sav/Mas last two FP's. Also, for whatever reason I didn't mind the House of the rising sun cover, this cover I think is quite awful I'm sorry... Maybe because I was practically raised with the HIM version.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

When I was having trouble on an exam I would just nip out and put on a new outfit and voila I got an A!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Honestly, I don't understand why nobody wants to skate to the Chris Issak original. HE IS SO AMMMAAZING. (My husband would approve -- he likes singing along with that one too).

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think it was griping. I think people sincerely felt it felt like a dated program because of the music. I wasn't bringing it up cause I wanted to talk about Jason in the pairs thread, but just to support my belief that I think people choose modern covers because they feel the original versions are dated.

And no, I don't think a different costume will make the program magically better.

ANYWAY PAIRS THREAD. :p

Point taken. Connecting back to pairs:

Sui/Han skated year before last to Bridge Over Troubled Water. It was absolutely beautiful, and it certainly was not a "dated" program. It is the program that reignited my interest in pairs skating.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Point taken. Connecting back to pairs:

Sui/Han skated year before last to Bridge Over Troubled Water. It was absolutely beautiful, and it certainly was not a "dated" program. It is the program that reignited my interest in pairs skating.

I really liked that program too. For the record, I don't think 60s music is dated, but I can see how it runs the risk of being perceived as such if your choreography/performance doesn't live up to it, which is what happened with Jason. (and why Sui/Han's version is considered so amazing).

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Honestly, I don't understand why nobody wants to skate to the Chris Issak original. HE IS SO AMMMAAZING. (My husband would approve -- he likes singing along with that one too).

I love it too. It's his song and he sings it with such sorrow and emotion. But then I nearly always prefer originals. I prefer Leonard's version of Hallelujah and I know that puts me in the minority. I like KD Lang's version too. But then to me Leonard > Anyone covering his songs.