2018 Skate America Rhythm Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate America Rhythm Dance

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Now I have to vacuum the house, and then I'll finally get to watch the men. See you all!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
The weather here is hot enough to inspire the bucket of ice water I used to cool down after Andrew Poje sightings. But no Weaver/Poje :cry:.

Fortunately, I was able to see them at ACI and they looked fabulous. They will come back to slay after the Thank You Canada Tour :).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
H/D deserved first but I am not loving their program. M/C were generously marked imho. I kind of thought the Russians were underappreciated. I think we miss Weapo and V and M right now - oddly both Canadians - these teams were just so so. Not spectacular - sorry H and D. REally the battle is for silver, bronze and fourth. I fear the Russians will get cheated here.

BrentWolgamott

Rinkside
Madi/Zach need to change that ending pose. It's not the first time Zach has lost balance at the end. It's a gross position anyway!

I couldn't agree more. They're just asking for trouble. She also needs to remove that fringe from the dress. She doesn't need it and it fell off.
But yes, the ending pose is TERRIBLE. I don't think they'll make the same mistake again, but still -- and I HATE HATE HATE how the vocals randomly come in, in the last 10 seconds of that program.
LOVE IT up until then, and then it's like "huh?"

SO THRILLED for Lorraine and Quinn. They've got a real shot at the podium. Draw is good for them too - they skate second in the final group, and then Zigorski/Guerrero, then H/D, and then G/F. I always feel like the last couple of the night gets extra PCS for some reason here and there. Maybe I'm just being tin-foiled hat. LOL

Shedi0806

On the Ice
H/D deserved first but I am not loving their program. M/C were generously marked imho. I kind of thought the Russians were underappreciated. I think we miss Weapo and V and M right now - oddly both Canadians - these teams were just so so. Not spectacular - sorry H and D. REally the battle is for silver, bronze and fourth. I fear the Russians will get cheated here.

I miss Tessa and Scott so much, they would kill this tango. I really like Guinard and Fabbri, I think they are also overlooked.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
It is definitely a classic Tango type of program, very well executed, neat and with flow, but lacks something for me from interpretation /expression standpoint now... But the GOE shower sure was there, good for them. Ooops, 2 points of deduction, the stumble was counted as a fall and lift time violation?

I agree. If we're looking at the tango traditionally speaking (like in ballroom, e.g.), it should have a bit more fire and tension between the partners. I usually don't mind Hubbell smiling a lot during a program, but it's a bit distracting where passion is concerned. The program needs a bit more of that sharp push and pull, that "you want me, but you can't have me" feeling.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I agree. If we're looking at the tango traditionally speaking (like in ballroom, e.g.), it should have a bit more fire and tension between the partners. I usually don't mind Hubbell smiling a lot during a program, but it's a bit distracting where passion is concerned. The program needs a bit more of that sharp push and pull, that "you want me, but you can't have me" feeling.

I think it is indeed this a bit in-between, dissonant feel about this dance being not full-on ballroom Tango nor Argentine Tango - there is for me not clear definition in interpretational, movement character sense about this RD, hopefully yet. About expression... It was more suited to their last season's FD to be honest, with hither smiles and exaggerated sultriness at places that fell off the vibe for me. I think they may think to use chemistry between them to build up a dance, expression of it, however to style, tune it along with the dance style is another thing to achieve... The sole execution of technicalities is good, but even after comparing it with maybe less 'edge & flow'-infused RD of McNamara/Carpenter it felt a bit flat and misplaced with styling, interpretation.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Won't happen. M/C nailed all the technical elements in the RD, incl. all the key points in the tango and 4/4 in the twizzles yet a group of 4 judges gave them low GOE so they came out lower than a rival who didn't nail the tech elements but got higher GOE just the same. M/C are slated for 4th and 4th it is going to be.

BTW, H/D's two deductions were for a fall and a costume failure. They'd better be very careful in Canada where they will be up against the local favorite G/P and the rising SiniKats. If there is a similar tech team--watch out!

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
The TR was the first set pattern dance at the Vancouver Olympics. And the team that REALLY killed it...was Domnina and Shabalin. Best TR I've ever seen. No one since has touched theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K18BvgliiIk

Although Virtue and Moir are my all time favorite dance couple, I am agreeing on this. Domina & Shabalin's TR was the best.
I agree about Domnina/Shabalin, but I think Virtue/Moir were very good too. Those edges... Expression wise, don't forget that they were still really young. Considering that and their more prominent lyrical style (in FDs) at the time - yes, they were very good indeed.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I agree about Domnina/Shabalin, but I think Virtue/Moir were very good too. Those edges... Expression wise, don't forget that they were still really young. Considering that and their more prominent lyrical style (in FDs) at the time - yes, they were very good indeed.

Oh yes, to say that D/S owned the TR is not to take away from how good Voir was with the same pattern. But you can't be tops at everything, and remember, it was the ONLY portion of the entire Olympic event where D/S really dominated.