2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Skating Lesson reported on Twitter that Danny O'Shea has retired, but I couldn't find any more info, and neither Tarah nor Danny has posted about retirement on their respective social media. If this news is true, it's quite shocking! Danny still could have quite a few good years left. If only he had found the right partner. He could have had much greater success.

Danny had several opportunities to change partners so I disagree if he only found the right partner. He chose not to make a change. However objectively if you look at the career overall, it was relatively successful.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skating Lesson reported on Twitter that Danny O'Shea has retired, but I couldn't find any more info, and neither Tarah nor Danny has posted about retirement on their respective social media. If this news is true, it's quite shocking! Danny still could have quite a few good years left. If only he had found the right partner. He could have had much greater success.

Wow. TSL is more often than not correct about skaters changing coaches and probably retirements. I always liked Tarah and Danny and I admired that they stayed together, particularly with so many folks who carp about pairs break up too quickly🤷‍♀️

And of course the best buds Jason, Danny and Grant off to celebrate Grant's bachelor weekend before his wedding. If true, I am sad, and bet of luck to Danny:clap:

ice_tulip

On the Ice
Danny had several opportunities to change partners so I disagree if he only found the right partner. He chose not to make a change. However objectively if you look at the career overall, it was relatively successful.

Good point! I agree. He did indeed have opportunities to switch partners but ultimately it was his choice. Whatever the case, I'm still shocked. Hope we hear some official word about this soon. Read an interesting rumor on Twitter about Danny but who knows if it's true.

Andrea82

Medalist
I see that Dubrovin has partnered with Chiara Calderone. They are entered in an Italian national competition to be held at the end of November.

It didn't last long. Not event to their debut.
In the Italian Championships entries we have now
Calderone Chiara / Riva Francesco

which suggests the split of Sara Campanini/Francesco Riva too

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow. TSL is more often than not correct about ssskaters changing coaches and probably retirements. I always liked Tarah and Danny and I admired that they stayed together, particularly with so many. wi folks who carp about pairs break up too quickly🤷‍♀️

And of course the best buds Jason, Danny and Grant off to celebrate Grant's bachelor weekend before his wedding. If true, I am sad, and bet of luck to Danny:clap:
I wish him well. Of course we would love to know why he retired. With the apparent metoric rise of Alexa and co. and our current US champs and well just pairs is looking so competitive and exciting.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So far, there's no confirmation that Danny is retiring, right? It would be understandable in view of current circumstances with the health crisis, K/O's uncertain coaching situation, and the fact that Danny reportedly had purchased a home in Colorado before the sudden coaching dilemma.

Notwithstanding the good news about vaccines, there's still a very long road ahead of us globally. Things will not be getting back to what we've been used to, probably ever. The sport as a whole needs to make many changes in order to continue and to thrive.

IMO, it's important now to truly take the time to look at every aspect of the sport's competitive structure, judging, etc., in addition to figuring out how to be able to function in organizing events, and finding ways to motivate and assist athletes under these ongoing challenging conditions.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Balazs Nagy and Kate Finster, US Junior Pairs Champs, have split, according to his post on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIhBUq3LRWY/?igshid=ksko5e4ipen1
They were a promising team who came 6th at Junior Worlds and won a silver medal on the JGP.
I believe there had been rumors about this for a while, but no official confirmation until now.
Balazs doesn't mention the future plans of either himself or Kate, but I wish them both all the best in their endeavors, inside or outside of the skating world.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Balazs Nagy and Kate Finster, US Junior Pairs Champs, have split, according to his post on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIhBUq3LRWY/?igshid=ksko5e4ipen1
They were a promising team who came 6th at Junior Worlds and won a silver medal on the JGP.
I believe there had been rumors about this for a while, but no official confirmation until now.
Balazs doesn't mention the future plans of either himself or Kate, but I wish them both all the best in their endeavors, inside or outside of the skating world.
What a pity. They really were quite promising. I wish them both the best too.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
So, TSL was right in a certain kind of way. No retirements but a split. A pity. I realise some people wished Danny to skate with someone else but I am just unhappy about another split. I wish both all the best, and hope they will find what they are looking for. Whether within or outside of competitive Figure Skating.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but it isn't on the OP. Stanislava Vislobokova/Dmitri Ialin swapped partners and are now skating together. Not sure how long it will last with the jumps and lack of height difference, but at the last competition they had triple twist, triple throws, spins, programs, level 4 death spirals, and lifts all within a month of skating together.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, TSL was right in a certain kind of way. No retirements but a split. A pity. I realise some people wished Danny to skate with someone else but I am just unhappy about another split. I wish both all the best, and hope they will find what they are looking for. Whether within or outside of competitive Figure Skating.
I'm less than thrilled with another split too. Who is even available for them to partner with? I guess Danny has Kate Finster, Megan Wessenberg - didn't she switch to pairs? And her option is..Balazs Nagy? Is there anyone I'm missing?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Laura Barquero has teamed with Marco Zandron. They will skate for Spain. Italian Fed already released him.
Surprise, surprise. Not that Laura found a new partner (I had expected her to, though I couldn't come up with a candidate), but this one seems to come out of the blue. Of course I could have missed something. Great to hear there are no nasty release issues in place. I hope it works out!

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Surprise, surprise. Not that Laura found a new partner (I had expected her to, though I couldn't come up with a candidate), but this one seems to come out of the blue. Of course I could have missed something. Great to hear there are no nasty release issues in place. I hope it works out!

I think they were/are dating even when he represented italy. So this is not surprising to me.