2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fried

Final Flight
Does anyone know which programs he has choreographed for younger ones so far?

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I would vote for Nastya T. also, but if I know the federation, they would choose Konstantinova to submit (no shade to her, in any other country both of them would get spots). But they could each end up getting one spot if it went something like this:

2 spots to Trusova, Kostornaia, Shcherbakova, Zagitova, Medvedeva, Tuktamysheva, Sinitsyna (these 7 are all but guaranteed)

2 spots to Samodurova (also very likely at this point as she's so high on the WS list)

This leaves two spots. I'd say they go to a combination of Konstantinova and Tarakanova. Maybe the fed will submit both of them and they'll each get one.

I'd say the same except swap Konstantinova out for Guliakova. Or they could give Samodurova a middle finger and give one of her spots to Gubanova/Konstantinova

Happy Skates

Final Flight
I'd say the same except swap Konstantinova out for Guliakova. Or they could give Samodurova a middle finger and give one of her spots to Gubanova/Konstantinova

Guliakova probably deserves it more than Konstantinova based on last season's results, but Konstantinova has the 25th WS which will allow her to get a spot if submitted, while Guliakova wouldn't get a spot if submitted and would have to be given the host spot. But I think that RusFed will submit at least 9 if not 10 girls for the initial GP spots, which can't include Guliakova because she is not eligible for those, so I think all 18 spots will be filled before they have the chance to give a spot to Guliakova. Maybe I'm wrong, but we'll see. But I don't think they'll give Samodurova the middle finger as a former European champion who is on the reserve team and someone who's guaranteed a spot if submitted by virtue of being 11th on the WS list.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Well, the problem is that "art" or "artistry" is so subjective that it is hard to come to a widely accepted agreement what is artistic and what is not. There are tons of definitions and hundreds of other theoretics would explain why the art can't be properly defined.

For me, the essence of the art/artistry (ability to express/perform art) is something that enriches me in rational nor in emotional way, helps me to think, to feel, sometimes to re-evaluate (from this angle one of the biggest artistic contributions was Lipnitskaia's olympic free program, because it made me to re-evaluate what I thought about figure skating till that time :biggrin:). Also, for me, there always should be some significant level of aesthetics (which once again shows how the perception of art/artistry is subjective, because there would be many supporters of that kind of art that finds pleasure in disgustingness and hideousness). But above all else, I have to believe in honesty of the creator/performer that he means it seriously, and with this part I never have a problem with russian ladies/girls. It's partially a matter of training to feel the performance and to understand it, and not just training of the actual program, but general education in art and aestetics. I think it can be seen that many russian ladies and girls have ballet training that helps not only with the range of movements but also with the understanding art (eternal glory to Lyudmila Borisovna and other ballet coaches of the russian figure skaters). And partially it is a thing of one's nature, the part that can't be trained, that a person gets in genes.

I agree. Leaving aside the fact that art and aesthetics are so subjective, as flanker pointed out....

To me, the beauty and appeal of figure skating is that, like ballet, it's about doing very difficult things gracefully and making them seem easier than they really are (I bet that's one of the things that drew many of us to it). But, unlike ballet, figure skating is a sport, not an art and skaters are supposed to be athletes, not artists.

Seems like some people would prefer that skating was still stuck in the era of figures or double jumps and long spirals but, like it or not, that's another thing about figure skating and sports in general; it's always constantly evolving.

On the other hand, it's great that we have different skaters doing their own thing their own way... if everyone had the same music style, the same technical content or skating style, now that would be super boring :laugh:

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I know it seems super early, but who realistically has a chance at making the Russian Olympic team for Beijing?

I somewhat broke it down (this is just my personal view) if all of these ladies continued to compete and were healthy in 2021-2022:

HIGH CHANCE OF MAKING THE TEAM:
Kamila Valieva - already a world junior champion with quads, ballerina-like skating, and beautiful spins, she’s a big threat to make the Olympic team (and even take the Olympic title). We have seen her deal with injury this season, so she must stay healthy to keep the odds in her favor.

Alena Kostornaia - like Valieva, a full package skater with difficult jumps and beautiful programs and artistry; she dominated on the international circuit this year, can she keep it up until 2022? We will have to see.

MODERATE CHANCE OF MAKING THE TEAM:
Maiia Khromykh - she has landed the quad salchow in training, and has nice extension and finish to her movement across the ice. She was a bit inconsistent last season, so she needs to have better performances throughout next season (and in 2021-2022) to have a shot at the team.

Daria Usacheva - another skater with beatiful artistry and skating skills; world junior medalist this past season. She does not have a quad (that I know of at least) yet, but she is young enough to learn either a quad or 3A. Like Maiia, she was also a bit inconsistent last season.

Anna Shcherbakova - another skater with a solid season debut; 2 x Russian National Champ, Euro silver medalist, GPF silver medalist. She is armed with a quad lutz and quad flip, but it is debatable whether or not she will be able to maintain those quads if she grows over the next two seasons.

Alexandra Trusova - the quad queen is the most technically advanced skater in the world, but she struggled with consistency last season. Will her somewhat risky coaching change to Plushenko help her or hurt her in the long run?

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - although many people wouldn’t have her here, I still wouldn’t count her out for 2022. She has a triple axel and a quad toe, and has the experience of being older and a former world champion. Her artistry is what holds her back, but, anything can happen if she performs her best over the next 2 seasons.

LOWER CHANCE OF MAKING THE TEAM:
Evgenia Medvedeva - already a 2x world champ and 2x Olympic silver medalist, she has experience and maturity. But lacking a quad in a nation which is quad dominated makes her chances of a second olympics difficult. She’ll need to learn and implement a quad over the next two seasons if she wants to stay in contention.

Alina Zagitova - we aren’t really sure if the reigning Olympic champion will return to skating. If she does, she’ll need to be armed with a quad. She’ll also need to be more consistent and confident in her technique in competition.

Kseniia Sinitsyna - a beautiful skater, she had a pretty successful junior career. She needs to learn a quad or 3A, and she needs more consistency if she wants to make a greater splash.

What are everyone’s thoughts on these chances? Again, these are my views, they’re not set in stone, and anything can happen!

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Very interesting, AshWagsFan! Anything can happen, let's just keep that in mind.

I think someone random will pop out, a random name. Let's say someone like maybe Anna Frolova

I'm going to rate the chance to make the team on a scale of 50, and give a reason:

KAMILA VALIEVA - 49. The right age, the whole package. 13 and already the best skater in the world. By 15 she won't be going through puberty yet but she'll be incredible. She's quite injury prone so fingers crossed but she's just too incredible.

ALENA KOSTORNAIA - 40. Injured and will be 18 by the games, but has potential and is very charismatic and all around, judges like her and she will put it all in as she wants to retire to study after this. Her technique doesn't seem like it will fail her unless something drastic happens.

DARIA USACHEVA - 40. Beautiful skater, a lot of potential. As she grows and becomes more experienced and gets that triple axel out, I think her artistic capabilities will take her far. She will be the right age too by that time, and she may just sweep some burnouts under the rug. I'm rooting for her. I wouldn't mind if she won the games.

ALEKSANDRA TRUSOVA - 38. I picked the wrong one to fall in love with. She's very prepubescent now, so we'll have to see how she grows and deals with it. Incredible athlete, incredible jumper. But that was said of Alina two years ago. Sasha will be almost 18 by the games, fully grown. She relies on her quads to win. To be realistic, I don't think she will be going for 5 quads by the time she's 17 but let's hope that she won't get injured. I would love it if she won the games.

ANNA SHCHERBAKOVA - 35. Lovely skater, lots of nice qualities. She will also be 17 by the games, born in the wrong year just like Medvedeva. I find her a little bit of a mini Medvedeva, we'll have to see how she grows and how her wonky technique holds up. Hoping for the best, she's very ambitious and intelligent.

EVGENIA MEDVEDEVA - 32. Fighter, sentimental favorite. But I think people are brushing off her inconsistencies. When she falls she is just having a bad day,whe Trusova falls her technique is failing. Evgenia's season is remembered for her boot breaking and her best performance at Rostelecom, Trusova's is remembered for nationals and the series of bronzes. She is a fighter but realisitcally, not a great shot. Never say never though.

ELIZAVETA TUKTAMYSHEVA - 28. I think that the new generation is here, but the fed sent a very clear message last year that they were willing to keep Alina and Evgenia along with this new generation and help them, not so much with Liza. I love how she fights, I hope she can enhance her qualities and make a good push. But it might be another story of heartbreak.

KSENIA SINITSYNA - 30. I'm worried for her puberty, and she has great choreography which brings out nice qualities in her. ONce she gets over growth she can get her loop combos back, get the triple axel back and consistent, and her brilliant ss and spins. I'm just not sure, being 17 in the Olympic year. Potential, but we'll have to see.

SOFIA SAMODUROVA - 25. Struggled with puberty, idk if I can see it getting much better. Pretty girl, not so pretty jumps, so we'll have to see.

Other contenders:

Maya Khromykh - 23
Anastasia Guliakova - 20
Alina Zagitova - 18. I'm sorry, maybe she'll do a comeback but as for long term competitiveness, I'll believe it when I see it (which I would love to see her comeback, I just want to be realistic here)

sparklestan

On the Ice
It’s basically impossible to say now, but if I had to make a wild guess I would say:
1. Kamila
2. Alena
3. Daria
Alt. Anna

colormyworld240

Medalist
I know it seems super early, but who realistically has a chance at making the Russian Olympic team for Beijing?

I somewhat broke it down (this is just my personal view) if all of these ladies continued to compete and were healthy in 2021-2022:

HIGH CHANCE OF MAKING THE TEAM:
Kamila Valieva - already a world junior champion with quads, ballerina-like skating, and beautiful spins, she’s a big threat to make the Olympic team (and even take the Olympic title). We have seen her deal with injury this season, so she must stay healthy to keep the odds in her favor.

Alena Kostornaia - like Valieva, a full package skater with difficult jumps and beautiful programs and artistry; she dominated on the international circuit this year, can she keep it up until 2022? We will have to see.

MODERATE CHANCE OF MAKING THE TEAM:
Maiia Khromykh - she has landed the quad salchow in training, and has nice extension and finish to her movement across the ice. She was a bit inconsistent last season, so she needs to have better performances throughout next season (and in 2021-2022) to have a shot at the team.

Daria Usacheva - another skater with beatiful artistry and skating skills; world junior medalist this past season. She does not have a quad (that I know of at least) yet, but she is young enough to learn either a quad or 3A. Like Maiia, she was also a bit inconsistent last season.

Anna Shcherbakova - another skater with a solid season debut; 2 x Russian National Champ, Euro silver medalist, GPF silver medalist. She is armed with a quad lutz and quad flip, but it is debatable whether or not she will be able to maintain those quads if she grows over the next two seasons.

Alexandra Trusova - the quad queen is the most technically advanced skater in the world, but she struggled with consistency last season. Will her somewhat risky coaching change to Plushenko help her or hurt her in the long run?

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - although many people wouldn’t have her here, I still wouldn’t count her out for 2022. She has a triple axel and a quad toe, and has the experience of being older and a former world champion. Her artistry is what holds her back, but, anything can happen if she performs her best over the next 2 seasons.

LOWER CHANCE OF MAKING THE TEAM:
Evgenia Medvedeva - already a 2x world champ and 2x Olympic silver medalist, she has experience and maturity. But lacking a quad in a nation which is quad dominated makes her chances of a second olympics difficult. She’ll need to learn and implement a quad over the next two seasons if she wants to stay in contention.

Alina Zagitova - we aren’t really sure if the reigning Olympic champion will return to skating. If she does, she’ll need to be armed with a quad. She’ll also need to be more consistent and confident in her technique in competition.

Kseniia Sinitsyna - a beautiful skater, she had a pretty successful junior career. She needs to learn a quad or 3A, and she needs more consistency if she wants to make a greater splash.

What are everyone’s thoughts on these chances? Again, these are my views, they’re not set in stone, and anything can happen!

It's debatable for all the girls, apart from Liza, Evgenia, and Alina who seem to have gone through most of their growth spurts, whether they can hang onto their quads and triples if they grow over the next two seasons, not just Anna. AFAIK, Anna is one of the tallest already, maybe second tallest after Maiia. It will depends on how lucky they are and how much they grow. If they grow at the speed that Elena Radionova did, nothing will make the adjustment seamless. The only indication is how these skaters look currently compared to their parents, but sometimes genetics throws you a curveball that no one saw coming.

Timing will also be important; if they have their growth spurt next season they will have 1 season to get used to it with for most isn't even enough time. But if they grow during Olympic season, it will be difficult to adjust the technique while maintaining consistency and increasing technical content leading up to the games, just like it was for just about every female skater in the past. There's a component of luck in everything, and it will be very important here for the younger skaters who make up the majority of the competitive female skaters here.

Based on last season I'd say Alena, Anna, Kamila but as we all know it's very unpredictable in Russia and at this time last quad, Alina was still unknown and no one though she'd be on the team let alone Olympic champion. It was widely believed that the team would be Evgenia/Elena/Anna Pogorilaya. And only Evgenia made it.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I was never good in predictions, that's pretext :)

One thing is what I wish and the other what is real.

The most wished for me would be:
Alina
Anna
Aliona/Kamila

(though it is truly hard to choose with so many fantastic ladies - Daria, Maiia, Sasha, still one can't write off Zhenya, Liza, Sofia Samodurova, Ksenia Sinitsina...)

The most probable now (but so much can change) is:
Aliona
Anna
Kamila/Sasha

starlight97

Final Flight
Are the other Eteri juniors that will come up in the Olympic season aparte from Kamila also working on quads and 3A? Darya is not as far as I know?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Are the other Eteri juniors that will come up in the Olympic season aparte from Kamila also working on quads and 3A? Darya is not as far as I know?

Maiia got a 4S and from I heard Daria is learning 3A.
Interesting that they all have learned/are learning different jumps :)

voolfee

On the Ice
SOFIA SAMODUROVA - 25
Anastasia Guliakova - 20
Alina Zagitova - 18

Wow, your attitude towards Alina is immediately visible. :biggrin:

I would not calculate any numbers, but would simply divide ladies into groups of probability of getting to the Beijing:

1st group:
Kamila
Alena
Anya

2nd group:
Alina
Sasha
Liza

3rd group:
Daria
Maya
Zhenya

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Daria should be working both on 3A and a quad (4S I believe). I hope Maiia will stabilize her quad till that time, both at russian junior nationals and at junior worlds she landed clean quad during the warm-up before the FS and was really close to the clean quad at the latter one in her program.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Using the scale of 50

ALENA KOSTORNAYA 46 - I don't know if she'll win the Olympics, body will change but much like Medvedeva in 2016 she looks like a lock right now. Technique will not be as amazing as now, but she has the marks and judges are going to give her the components which will help a lot.

ANNA SHCHERBAKOVA 42 - Being Daniil's pupil is helping her a lot, they are giving her all the attentions, we'll have to see how much the new rules will penalize her cheated quads (arguargbly she is the most obvious case for potential deductions) cause that could make a huge difference in the overall result. Her technique is not ideal but she's consistent, charming personality.

ALEXANDRA TRUSOVA 40 - I still think if they find a way to pull it together, she can still beat everyone, she has the warrior-type of mindset and she has the technical jumps, components are not quite as developed but if you look at the scores they don't make a huge difference. There are a number of factors to consider: stability of her new coaching team, what are their plans to reach that consistency.

KAMILA VALIEVA 38 - Beautiful skater, all the juniors already skate bigger than the seniors (except Kostornaya), she does look a bit more nervous though and her technique is already regressing (probably an attempt to make some of her jumps more consistent)

DARIA USACHEVA 37 - It looks like she skates more relaxed than Valieva, with more flow too, not sure if it is due to the lack of quads. But i think if she can master the 3A, she will be the next Kostornaya, so potentially outskate Valieva.

ELIZAVETA TUKTAMYSHEVA 35 - She's still in the mix, despite everything, she has the 3a and potentially the quad toe too, with more inspired programs and strong shape during the Olympic season she could be the number 2 or 3 in the team.

EVGENIA MEDVEDEVA 33 - No 3a or quads (yet?), she is improving on the presence, skating skills and some of her jumps. She has some political push too which keeps her in the mix, and very high components, consistency is what keeps her behind for now tho.

ALINA ZAGITOVA 30 - At her best she could beat Tuktamysheva, Medvedeva, and maybe even some of the other Eteri skaters but i'm not convinced she's going to continue for 2 seasons, i can see her "retiring" (officially it will be decades from now) by the end of this one. To me they should have let her a full year of rest and then show up this season and at the Olympics the next, pretty much what Plushenko or Yuna Kim did.

ANASTASIA GULIAKOVA 28 - She has made progress over the years, from 13th at Nationals to 7th this year and winner at the Cup Final. But what will keep her in contention for a spot is the 3a: the fact that it is getting closer and closer, and she's working it with Mishin, master of the axel technique. I also find her better in components than Tuktamysheva.

MAYA KHROMYKH 28 - Currently the weakest from Eteri's group, she already looks shaky at the big competitions, as if it could all break at any point, but she's still in the group that arguargbly works the hardest, so maybe they can still fix this in time before transitioning into seniors.

KSENIIA SINITSYNA 25 - Beautiful skater but not making the junior world team was a big defeat for her, yes she placed high at senior nationals but much like what happened with Gubanova, i'm worried that won't mean anything without the medals.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
#TeamDavydov also working hard. And it seems Sof'ya Samodelkina finally joined the fray in Sirius Center, Sochi: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBeFllFIdiQ

The rest is exclusively available from his subscription channel on Telegram :-(

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I was never good in predictions, that's pretext :)

One thing is what I wish and the other what is real.

The most wished for me would be:
Alina
Anna
Aliona/Kamila

(though it is truly hard to choose with so many fantastic ladies - Daria, Maiia, Sasha, still one can't write off Zhenya, Liza, Sofia Samodurova, Ksenia Sinitsina...)

The most probable now (but so much can change) is:
Aliona
Anna
Kamila/Sasha

Bit late, but I completely agree here :biggrin:

How I wish for Olympic Champion Anna Shcherbakova :laugh:

macy

Record Breaker
i find it interesting Anna is so low on a couple lists for making the olympic team.

Ifwe

Rinkside
I feel sorry for sasha:( all she did was change her coach a think that every athlete do and the media are being so harsh at her and her parents they are already saying she will never win again like the season didn't even start yet lol. I can't believe there's an article saying her parents selled her off for money disgusting talking as if they know her parents personally.

The media are being so rude to her but not suprised looks like they will only support her only if she was with eteri

macy

Record Breaker
I feel sorry for sasha:( all she did was change her coach a think that every athlete do and the media are being so harsh at her and her parents they are already saying she will never win again like the season didn't even start yet lol. I can't believe there's an article saying her parents selled her off for money disgusting talking as if they know her parents personally.

The media are being so rude to her but not suprised looks like they will only support her only if she was with eteri

honestly this is nothing compared to when Zhenya left. people were ready to crucify her.

Status
Not open for further replies.