2023-24 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Women's Figure Skating

uwoawuwoa

On the Ice
Finally unbanned from this thread so I can respond to this.

I appreciate your optimism but I severely disagree with almost everything. Even calling Mois girls "slow burn rivals" or "potential rivals" for Eteri is a gross overstatement. Dzepka has the most gorgeous landings from anybody this whole season but she wasnt even confident enough to attempt ultra-c when it was the decider for her medal at the biggest event of the year. Furthermore and no offence but being dead honest Dzepka doesnt have (or show potential for having) anything remarkable other than her triple jumps while Eteri girls have literally everything and more. Lebedeva also didnt have confidence to even try an ultra-c, she definitely shows more potential than Dzepka overall but shes so tiny its impossible to say anything. Point is neither of them can really even be considered ultra-c girls when they didnt even attempt when it matters most. Im not saying its impossible but theres zero evidence to even state such an assumption as future first class prospects.

Prineva is the only one who has proven realistic potential but shes insanely unstable and finished behind (along with Lebedeva) Trofimova who you wrote off as unstable but she still beat 2/3 girls you mentioned as future Eteri rivals? Even if we give Prineva all benefits of the doubt to make your case as strong as possible 1 girl doesnt really evidence that team Mois has anything to do with Eteri or even being better than Plush. She isnt Zhilina tier or let alone Muravieva. Even if we give Dzepka artistry and everything else AND make her 4S consistent, that Mois pair still doesnt touch Zhilina/Mura, and this assuming all other unproven Plush girls flop and Trofimova stays stagnant.

Veronika Z is already Eteri tier (better actually than everyone other than Petrosian/Akateva) and missing one season is completely normal even though for some reason people act like its a death sentence when weve seen it happen a million times.

I'm sorry I dont want to be mean to the Mois girls thats not the point but seeing you say "see how Mois girls vs Eteri girls plays out" is just an insane idea at this stage. The gap is most probably not closable. Mois girls are provably still competing with Plush, none of the girls show anything like Zhilina and only one of them even beat Trofimova. So even if we want to go doomsday mode and say Zhilina is an injury victim and Titova died to growth spurt its looking 1:1 for Plush and Mois (Dzepka vs Trofimova) and not even going to mention the gap in artistry between Dzepka and Trofimova. Throw in Muravieva like you said and Mois arent even close to Plush never mind Eteri's omegasquad. And remember this is giving Mois best case scenario and Plushenko doomsday scenario so nobody can say im being dishonest.

Quick comment about Titova:

Her first stage went exactly as expected, she was burnt from shows and just needed a stable showing which she did and took a medal. 4th stage was the most insanely stacked junior stage and she had 1 bad free skate which took her out. She had low levels but thats to be expected for a show girl peaking for finals; she expected to land all her jumps clean and had a bad FS after a normal SP (where she just ur'd a 3-3). Its a poor performance for sure but everyone is talking like shes finished over whats effectively one bad skate?

So realize that Titova is still in the convo, but for absolute maximum fairness I didnt even use this point in my earlier argument. Doomsday for Plush vs La-La land for Mois and Plush is still winning out in every scenario.

Then realize the reality if we are fair to Plush and say even one (of 3 you mentioned) of his unstable girls get stable (including Kira who as we said already beat 2/3 Mois girls regardless of stability), in addition to the massive artistic edge team Plush has, and consider Zhilina/Mura theres no world in which the future is looking better for Mois - nevermind even uttering the name of Eteri in comparison which hopefully is an idea I've killed at this point and wont become a common mention.
Eh, we'll see. I am saying this not on random emotion, but based on interesting stats from this season. Let's get into my mini analysis 😄

This is the first time team Moi has caught my attention while team Plush, team Tut and team Davi all had it for a long time. So I am excited!

Let me break down what we've got so far up until now in 2024 (could change by Spartakiad but unlikely):

Team Davi has zero successful senior women. Samodelkina would have been the main one but she left the moment she turned senior and had a terrible senior season anyways so...can't count her.

Team Plush only has one successful senior woman overall and she only has a semi-stable 3A to date. He coached Sasha semi-successfully (by 2021 Nats she skated clean with 3 quads against Anna and Kami so he did do a good job somewhat) and failed completely with trying to get Aliona to jump any ultra-c (some of this had to do with Aliona herself, but still).

Team Tut has/had about seven successful senior women with ultra-c (Anna, Sasha, Aliona, Elizabet T, Maiia , Kami, and Adeliia) capable of landing it multiple times in comp. She's had the most and highly consistent ultra-c skaters but to be fair she's been at this ultra-c game the longest compared to everyone else (except maybe Davidov?) so of course her girl squad will be the strongest squad.

Team Moi has zero. Moi's first successes with ultra-c skaters to my knowledge are her current juniors (Sofia D, Alena P, Milana L). None are senior yet so we can't gage the Moi girls success rate in comparison to the Davi girls who sadly failed so far, or the Plush girls which is mainly Mura, or Team Tut girls with non-stop dominance. It's a clean slate against the track record of Davi girls and Plush girls.

Moi has the highest potential as the wild card rival coach due to zero history of success or failure of ultra-c skaters by the senior level (if there are Moi girls in seniors with ultra-c at the moment do let me know as I wasn't following her main skaters other than Prineva) while the other two potential rivals for Team Tut have not been very successful in having a team of girls able to rival the main Tut quadsters. The Moi girls could end up unsuccessful just like the Davi and Plush girls in the next few seasons or end up succeeding we don't know, but I see potential so I'll be paying more attention to this rising team of girls.

In the scenarios above do note I didn't count Zhilina or Sofia A or Daria S because honestly they aren't truly senior, but if added Eteri would have 9 while Plush still has only 1 considering Zhilina had zero senior starts/comps yet so we can't gage her success rate at the senior level only the junior level.
However I will talk about Zhilina and the "Zhilina tier" further down 😁

Both Plush and Davi had more years from juniors to now seniors with their main ultra-c star(s) who are senior eligible (Samodelkina and Muravieva). They unfortunately do not have successful quad jumpers at the senior level and the junior level has remained unstable for many years with this season being the worst for Plush's former top skater Titova who wasn't even at Nationals and Davi's Maria is still trying to hold on but not successfully.

Here's what's working for Team Moi in terms of ultra-c and becoming a potential "slow burn" rival for Team Tut instead of Plush girls at the moment:

Mois girls are provably still competing with Plush

Moi girl stats:

All 3 of the Moi girls (Alena, Milana, Dzepka) crossed over 200+ points this season in comp and averaged higher scoring than most Plush girls at the 200 mark. Plush's top girl this season Kira has not surpassed 200 yet.

Alena's season best was 216 at 2nd GP. (not fully clean)

Milana's season best was 213 at Moscow champs (with her suspicious 4S. It was not clean for me)

Dzepka's season best was 210 (clean but without ultra-c) at Junior Nats.

Plush girls stats:

Kira's season best was 199 (without ultra-c) at Junior Nats with 2 clean programs. It seems she are not on the same "Tier" as Dzepka without ultras.

Sofia Titova's season best with multiple ultra-c last season was 207. And with the most ultra-c elements of her entire career she could only reach 200 at max (mind-blowing it's so low). This season Titova at best without ultra-c was also at 207 at an earlier local comp which is less than all of Moi's girls at their highest this season.

Maria Mazur's best was 201 at Moscow city champs (ultra-c but not clean so could be higher when clean).

Alisa was 201 at stage 5 (with ultra-c but not clean so could be higher).

The Moi girls are competing at 210+ when attempting their higher level "close enough to clean" skates this season. Based on this stat they are trying to challenge the top Tut girls who are rocking massive scores at 228+, 230+, 245+ when at their best level. Team Tut girls are untouchable at their best but not impossible to reach if the Moi girls perform clean at their best with ultra-c (that still hasn't happened which is why their true potential is unknown and they are wild cards). They are not aiming to challenge this season's top Plush girl right now who is pushing 199 at best with two clean skates as they surpassed this themselves. They are aiming for the Tut girls who are so high up at the top of the podium when in top form. It'll be tough, but again I'm excited to see if they even can do this.

More breakdown:

Moi girl #1 Prineva (the most successful Moi girl in juniors right now):
1. Alena Prineva prior to her meltdown at Junior Nationals was beating all the Plush girls at all her GP's. She already surpassed them easily at both of her GP's and beat top Tut girls at Novice Nationals taking silver (Elena was gold, Alena was silver, and Margarita was bronze). She only lost to Tut girl Margarita at the GP stages this season not the Plush girls. Kira is the strongest Plush girl this season compared to Mazur and Yurova (Jurova?). She already beat a clean Kira Trofimova back in stage one (even with a fall, a messy combo, no axel jump, etc). An unclean messy Alena can beat a clean Kira as long as she doesn't implode in both the short and free like she did at Nationals. Her competition in most big comps this season when close enough to clean are mainly Eteri girls not Plush girls based on her actual results against them in the main stages.
  • Her main rival this season was mainly Margarita (though Tut girl Alisa leveled up and proved herself this season). The Plush girls of current aren't able to reach her highest score this season or last season themselves when at their best. So really Alena is her own enemy with so many errors (Zayaking, failing the 4Lz, and overall inconsistent). Alena is also one of the most artistic skaters in the juniors division right now.
  • The comparison with "Zhilina tier" artistically is off, because Zhilina has practically little to no performance ability in terms of expression and projection which Alena has. Aesthetically speaking Zhilina's style is sharp while Alena's is soft. Artistically they aren't the same as Alena knows how to actually emote to the music she's given while Zhilina seldom does this. Her face is often rigid and serious throughout. Hyper focused. Zhilina is highly skilled and has some very good points in terms of execution but emotional projection is one of her biggest weaknesses. She has very little acting ability. No one should aim for that tier in their artistry unless they are playing a heavily emotionless character. Also Prineva is just as artistic as Muravieva. Mura has a different look to how she performs (none of the most artistic ladies look the same) but Prineva is just as strong of a performer and has just as much of a beautiful glide/flow on the ice. I don't like to debate artistic prowess because it's not a one size fits all. There's a lot of nuances and subjectivity regarding who's style is better than who's varying from individual to individual. Muravieva is very good and Alena Prineva is just as good when watching them side by side. You may feel free to disagree of course.
  • Now let's address this overall "Zhilina Tier" hype in actual competition: Did we forget that Alina G from a "random" coach could easily beat Zhilina with a single quad salchow last season at Junior Nationals? I don't think Alena Prineva has to worry about being "Zhilina Tier". In fact she should run far away from that tier based on how easily Alina Gorbacheva was able to beat Zhilina who attempted 1 triple axel and 3 quads last season at Junior Nationals. 4 ultra-c attempts yet just one quad is enough to surpass that. Alena Prineva should be fixing her bad habit of Zayaking or work on her jump math so she doesn't forget to do an axel jump and fix her consistency issues with her 4Lz while avoiding being on that "Zhilina tier" entirely where 4 ultra-c elements are not enough to even win against one. By Alina G standards skaters can now easily beat a multi-quad "Zhilina Tier" level skater with a single 4S! The Russian judges clearly let us know what tier Zhilina was on last season at Nats so Alena only needs to throw in one 4Lz with two clean programs just like Alina G last season based on that "Zhilina tier." Seriously though, tier joking aside, no one is invincible. Anyone can potentially beat anyone even Zhilina who was defeated by surprise newcomer Alina G. I did not expect that at all last season. Getting on a "Tier" of a certain skater is not necessary at all to beat them.
Moi girl #2 Dzepka (Second most successful Moi girl this season):
2. Sofia Dzepka without ultra-c at the moment can surpass most girls without ultra-c (outside of Agata at GP stage 6 who honestly with her very tight jump landings shouldn't even be up that high at all. She'll end up struggling like Samodura with those tight jumps if it doesn't improve). Her new 4S is just as unstable as Kira's new 4T (we saw at the jumping comp), but it looked much better than Kira's attempt in practice. She's proven to be more stable in competition overall with her triples than Kira when looking at their stats this season. Given the fact that most Team Tut girls have extremely stable triples before acquiring their quads this is a good look for Dzepka with more solid triples in competition compared to rival Plush girl Kira this season. Artistically speaking I would also choose Kira over Sofia D since she's more my style. Her glide, the emotional drama, etc. Kira is a great performer and amazing artistically. I'd have her at #1 and Alena P at #2 for the most artistic juniors this season. Though in jumps Dzepka is more solid so I have to give Team Moi the edge. I don't know how I feel about Dzepka artistically, but she has room to grow on me eventually.
  • Also:
    Dzepka has the most gorgeous landings from anybody this whole season but she wasnt even confident enough to attempt ultra-c when it was the decider for her medal at the biggest event of the year.
    If we go with this logic of being "confident enough" the same could be said for Plush's girl Kira who wasn't confident enough to do a 4T to try for a medal at Nats. Or Muravieva who wasn't confident enough to attempt three triple axels when it could have maybe potentially changed her win from silver to gold (and she really wanted to win gold against Petrosian). To be fair maybe she thought Petrosian would land everything clean so she didn't bother with a 3A for gold (because if Petrosian landed that 4F clean the extra 3A would make no difference, but Petrosian fell anyways so that 3A would have potentially helped secure gold).
    Many skaters play it safe to secure a better placement especially when it comes to new unstable jumps as it's a gamble. Sofia D has never landed her 4S in competition this season at all only practice so gambling to land it at the biggest competition of the season would be the worst decision ever. She'd have to try it at least at the GP's first or a local comp to assess her success rate in competition. The same case can be made for Kira's new 4T (it's looking better as of her recent practice. I'll attach the vid when I can. It looks really good now so things are looking up for her soon) however the same cannot be said for Mura who has acquired 3A for several years and gaged her success rate with her 3A but still did not go for 3 triple axels when it mattered most after successfully landing two of them.
  • At the jumping comp Kira's landing on 4T was much scarier (and looked more painful. She had to pause for a moment after that hard fall) than Sofia's 4S along with her worse two foot landing in her first 4T video in practice compared to the ease of Sofia's 4S + 2T in practice which is why I said it's "extremely unstable." It was a worse fall for Kira on 4T at the jumping comp and it had me worried for a moment but she's fine now in her latest attempt in practice (it's on her telegram it looks very good!)

Moi girl #3 Ledbedeva (the initial shocker of the season):
3. She is the in a way the least powerful of the three so far from what I've seen, but at the start of the season she was hinted to be the most powerful junior surpassing both Alena and Margarita. Honestly, I have not paid much attention to Milana as compared to Prineva or even Dzepka (she's new to me too this season, but Milana is newer). She is very inconsistent with her 4S and even her 3-3's. But....
  • Milana at the start of this season at the Moscow Championships with a 4S beat Team Tut's top girl Margarita who attempted one 3A and 3 quads. Beat teammates Sofia Dzepka (who did not do ultra-c) and Alena Prineva who attempted a 4Lz+3T and 4Lz. Also beat Eteri girls Andreeva and Lushkova (4S) at that comp along with Plushenko's Maria Mazur (Plush's Mazur ranked #2 in the short while she was #1). She won first place against everyone at the Moscow Championships with a single ultra-c element (and that 4S attempt wasn't great either) and she's not a Plush or Eteri girl. She's a Moi girl. If she can skate two clean programs with a single 4S (a suspicious 4S) the judges let us know she has the potential surpass everyone even Tut girls (and she beat multiple). She was leading in the short with the highest PCS of all the girls there at that first comp. First impression of the season and she impressed those judges over all of the other skaters. Too bad she couldn't upkeep the bar she set for herself. After that first comp of the season her consistency regressed. She removed the backloaded two 3-3's and did a 3-2 at Nats. Went from only the 4S being unstable to messing up her triples as the season progressed (At that rapid pace and even watering down her content of backloaded 3Lz+3T+2A and 3Lz+3T I suspect an undisclosed injury for her). So...her initial reputation went down from her first impression this season (can she bounce back next season? I want to find out).
  • She lost to Plush's top girl Kira by 0.12 points at Nats after reducing her jumps and messing up the combo in the short with a q. The gap is way too tiny. The win for Kira wasn't by huge margins but tiny tenths. With both clean Milana would have won (Keep in mind Kira had two clean skates for 199.22 while Milana had negative GOE for her short program combo getting 199.10).
  • Also:
    Lebedeva also didnt have confidence to even try an ultra-c
  • I already covered the "confidence" thing, though Milana Lebedva finally realized what she should have all along.... she would fail her 4S with a capital "F" as she has been messing up the 4S all season after her first comp. Not putting it in at Nationals was great because it would 100% fail like it did most of this season (falling 4 out of 5 attempts are terrible odds). A good idea to not put it in considering it was never successful and at best...suspicious.

Based on competition the Moi girls have shown they are more than capable of beating multiple of the current Tut girls including their top skater Margarita with Milina in the beginning defeating everyone on the first try this season at the championships (before her suspected injury and regression)---I think Team Moi has the highest potential as a wild card to challenge Teamtut as they can defeat many of her skaters already when "clean enough" (none of the Moi girls skated at their best except Prineva last season with 291 at Novice Nats) but we'll see as the girls progress.

Due to this info throughout this season and seeing higher scoring for Moi girls over Plush girls overall they seem to be the impending rival team that the judges are pushing over the Plush girls to ultimately compete against Tut girls. When both team of girls are clean or both push top content they are pushing for Moi girls over Plush girls. They are valuing the Moi girls more. Judges even tried to their best to score Alena over Margarita at that early comp where Milana won but Alena keeps Zayaking so they had to rescore and Alena went from 2nd place to 4th after someone complained that they ignored Alena's Zayak. That's how Margarita won 2nd, because Alena was caught for Zayaking herself.

Team Tut are able to get their girls to the highest level when it counts most. No other team can do that to the same level yet, but anything is possible in the future. I'm watching out for the Moi girls as a potential threat in the future.

I do think Team Moi on the rise. Her method is still very new to me along with her girls (other than Prineva), but I see potential as they are already surpassing majority of the Plush girls in top scores alone this season.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Eh, we'll see. I am saying this not on random emotion, but based on interesting stats from this season. Let's get into my mini analysis 😄

This is the first time team Moi has caught my attention while team Plush, team Tut and team Davi all had it for a long time. So I am excited!

Let me break down what we've got so far up until now in 2024 (could change by Spartakiad but unlikely):

Team Davi has zero successful senior women. Samodelkina would have been the main one but she left the moment she turned senior and had a terrible senior season anyways so...can't count her.

Team Plush only has one successful senior woman overall and she only has a semi-stable 3A to date. He coached Sasha semi-successfully (by 2021 Nats she skated clean with 3 quads against Anna and Kami so he did do a good job somewhat) and failed completely with trying to get Aliona to jump any ultra-c (some of this had to do with Aliona herself, but still).

Team Tut has/had about seven successful senior women with ultra-c (Anna, Sasha, Aliona, Elizabet T, Maiia , Kami, and Adeliia) capable of landing it multiple times in comp. She's had the most and highly consistent ultra-c skaters but to be fair she's been at this ultra-c game the longest compared to everyone else (except maybe Davidov?) so of course her girl squad will be the strongest squad.

Team Moi has zero. Moi's first successes with ultra-c skaters to my knowledge are her current juniors (Sofia D, Alena P, Milana L). None are senior yet so we can't gage the Moi girls success rate in comparison to the Davi girls who sadly failed so far, or the Plush girls which is mainly Mura, or Team Tut girls with non-stop dominance. It's a clean slate against the track record of Davi girls and Plush girls.

Moi has the highest potential as the wild card rival coach due to zero history of success or failure of ultra-c skaters by the senior level (if there are Moi girls in seniors with ultra-c at the moment do let me know as I wasn't following her main skaters other than Prineva) while the other two potential rivals for Team Tut have not been very successful in having a team of girls able to rival the main Tut quadsters. The Moi girls could end up unsuccessful just like the Davi and Plush girls in the next few seasons or end up succeeding we don't know, but I see potential so I'll be paying more attention to this rising team of girls.

In the scenarios above do note I didn't count Zhilina or Sofia A or Daria S because honestly they aren't truly senior, but if added Eteri would have 9 while Plush still has only 1 considering Zhilina had zero senior starts/comps yet so we can't gage her success rate at the senior level only the junior level.
However I will talk about Zhilina and the "Zhilina tier" further down 😁

Both Plush and Davi had more years from juniors to now seniors with their main ultra-c star(s) who are senior eligible (Samodelkina and Muravieva). They unfortunately do not have successful quad jumpers at the senior level and the junior level has remained unstable for many years with this season being the worst for Plush's former top skater Titova who wasn't even at Nationals and Davi's Maria is still trying to hold on but not successfully.

Here's what's working for Team Moi in terms of ultra-c and becoming a potential "slow burn" rival for Team Tut instead of Plush girls at the moment:

Moi girl stats:

All 3 of the Moi girls (Alena, Milana, Dzepka) crossed over 200+ points this season in comp and averaged higher scoring than most Plush girls at the 200 mark. Plush's top girl this season Kira has not surpassed 200 yet.

Alena's season best was 216 at 2nd GP. (not fully clean)

Milana's season best was 213 at Moscow champs (with her suspicious 4S. It was not clean for me)

Dzepka's season best was 210 (clean but without ultra-c) at Junior Nats.

Plush girls stats:

Kira's season best was 199 (without ultra-c) at Junior Nats with 2 clean programs. It seems she are not on the same "Tier" as Dzepka without ultras.

Sofia Titova's season best with multiple ultra-c last season was 207. And with the most ultra-c elements of her entire career she could only reach 200 at max (mind-blowing it's so low). This season Titova at best without ultra-c was also at 207 at an earlier local comp which is less than all of Moi's girls at their highest this season.

Maria Mazur's best was 201 at Moscow city champs (ultra-c but not clean so could be higher when clean).

Alisa was 201 at stage 5 (with ultra-c but not clean so could be higher).

The Moi girls are competing at 210+ when attempting their higher level "close enough to clean" skates this season. Based on this stat they are trying to challenge the top Tut girls who are rocking massive scores at 228+, 230+, 245+ when at their best level. Team Tut girls are untouchable at their best but not impossible to reach if the Moi girls perform clean at their best with ultra-c (that still hasn't happened which is why their true potential is unknown and they are wild cards). They are not aiming to challenge this season's top Plush girl right now who is pushing 199 at best with two clean skates as they surpassed this themselves. They are aiming for the Tut girls who are so high up at the top of the podium when in top form. It'll be tough, but again I'm excited to see if they even can do this.

More breakdown:

Moi girl #1 Prineva (the most successful Moi girl in juniors right now):
1. Alena Prineva prior to her meltdown at Junior Nationals was beating all the Plush girls at all her GP's. She already surpassed them easily at both of her GP's and beat top Tut girls at Novice Nationals taking silver (Elena was gold, Alena was silver, and Margarita was bronze). She only lost to Tut girl Margarita at the GP stages this season not the Plush girls. Kira is the strongest Plush girl this season compared to Mazur and Yurova (Jurova?). She already beat a clean Kira Trofimova back in stage one (even with a fall, a messy combo, no axel jump, etc). An unclean messy Alena can beat a clean Kira as long as she doesn't implode in both the short and free like she did at Nationals. Her competition in most big comps this season when close enough to clean are mainly Eteri girls not Plush girls based on her actual results against them in the main stages.
  • Her main rival this season was mainly Margarita (though Tut girl Alisa leveled up and proved herself this season). The Plush girls of current aren't able to reach her highest score this season or last season themselves when at their best. So really Alena is her own enemy with so many errors (Zayaking, failing the 4Lz, and overall inconsistent). Alena is also one of the most artistic skaters in the juniors division right now.
  • The comparison with "Zhilina tier" artistically is off, because Zhilina has practically little to no performance ability in terms of expression and projection which Alena has. Aesthetically speaking Zhilina's style is sharp while Alena's is soft. Artistically they aren't the same as Alena knows how to actually emote to the music she's given while Zhilina seldom does this. Her face is often rigid and serious throughout. Hyper focused. Zhilina is highly skilled and has some very good points in terms of execution but emotional projection is one of her biggest weaknesses. She has very little acting ability. No one should aim for that tier in their artistry unless they are playing a heavily emotionless character. Also Prineva is just as artistic as Muravieva. Mura has a different look to how she performs (none of the most artistic ladies look the same) but Prineva is just as strong of a performer and has just as much of a beautiful glide/flow on the ice. I don't like to debate artistic prowess because it's not a one size fits all. There's a lot of nuances and subjectivity regarding who's style is better than who's varying from individual to individual. Muravieva is very good and Alena Prineva is just as good when watching them side by side. You may feel free to disagree of course.
  • Now let's address this overall "Zhilina Tier" hype in actual competition: Did we forget that Alina G from a "random" coach could easily beat Zhilina with a single quad salchow last season at Junior Nationals? I don't think Alena Prineva has to worry about being "Zhilina Tier". In fact she should run far away from that tier based on how easily Alina Gorbacheva was able to beat Zhilina who attempted 1 triple axel and 3 quads last season at Junior Nationals. 4 ultra-c attempts yet just one quad is enough to surpass that. Alena Prineva should be fixing her bad habit of Zayaking or work on her jump math so she doesn't forget to do an axel jump and fix her consistency issues with her 4Lz while avoiding being on that "Zhilina tier" entirely where 4 ultra-c elements are not enough to even win against one. By Alina G standards skaters can now easily beat a multi-quad "Zhilina Tier" level skater with a single 4S! The Russian judges clearly let us know what tier Zhilina was on last season at Nats so Alena only needs to throw in one 4Lz with two clean programs just like Alina G last season based on that "Zhilina tier." Seriously though, tier joking aside, no one is invincible. Anyone can potentially beat anyone even Zhilina who was defeated by surprise newcomer Alina G. I did not expect that at all last season. Getting on a "Tier" of a certain skater is not necessary at all to beat them.
Moi girl #2 Dzepka (Second most successful Moi girl this season):
2. Sofia Dzepka without ultra-c at the moment can surpass most girls without ultra-c (outside of Agata at GP stage 6 who honestly with her very tight jump landings shouldn't even be up that high at all. She'll end up struggling like Samodura with those tight jumps if it doesn't improve). Her new 4S is just as unstable as Kira's new 4T (we saw at the jumping comp), but it looked much better than Kira's attempt in practice. She's proven to be more stable in competition overall with her triples than Kira when looking at their stats this season. Given the fact that most Team Tut girls have extremely stable triples before acquiring their quads this is a good look for Dzepka with more solid triples in competition compared to rival Plush girl Kira this season. Artistically speaking I would also choose Kira over Sofia D since she's more my style. Her glide, the emotional drama, etc. Kira is a great performer and amazing artistically. I'd have her at #1 and Alena P at #2 for the most artistic juniors this season. Though in jumps Dzepka is more solid so I have to give Team Moi the edge. I don't know how I feel about Dzepka artistically, but she has room to grow on me eventually.
  • Also:

If we go with this logic of being "confident enough" the same could be said for Plush's girl Kira who wasn't confident enough to do a 4T to try for a medal at Nats. Or Muravieva who wasn't confident enough to attempt three triple axels when it could have maybe potentially changed her win from silver to gold (and she really wanted to win gold against Petrosian). To be fair maybe she thought Petrosian would land everything clean so she didn't bother with a 3A for gold (because if Petrosian landed that 4F clean the extra 3A would make no difference, but Petrosian fell anyways so that 3A would have potentially helped secure gold).
    Many skaters play it safe to secure a better placement especially when it comes to new unstable jumps as it's a gamble. Sofia D has never landed her 4S in competition this season at all only practice so gambling to land it at the biggest competition of the season would be the worst decision ever. She'd have to try it at least at the GP's first or a local comp to assess her success rate in competition. The same case can be made for Kira's new 4T (it's looking better as of her recent practice. I'll attach the vid when I can. It looks really good now so things are looking up for her soon) however the same cannot be said for Mura who has acquired 3A for several years and gaged her success rate with her 3A but still did not go for 3 triple axels when it mattered most after successfully landing two of them.
  • At the jumping comp Kira's landing on 4T was much scarier (and looked more painful. She had to pause for a moment after that hard fall) than Sofia's 4S along with her worse two foot landing in her first 4T video in practice compared to the ease of Sofia's 4S + 2T in practice which is why I said it's "extremely unstable." It was a worse fall for Kira on 4T at the jumping comp and it had me worried for a moment but she's fine now in her latest attempt in practice (it's on her telegram it looks very good!)

Moi girl #3 Ledbedeva (the initial shocker of the season):
3. She is the in a way the least powerful of the three so far from what I've seen, but at the start of the season she was hinted to be the most powerful junior surpassing both Alena and Margarita. Honestly, I have not paid much attention to Milana as compared to Prineva or even Dzepka (she's new to me too this season, but Milana is newer). She is very inconsistent with her 4S and even her 3-3's. But....
  • Milana at the start of this season at the Moscow Championships with a 4S beat Team Tut's top girl Margarita who attempted one 3A and 3 quads. Beat teammates Sofia Dzepka (who did not do ultra-c) and Alena Prineva who attempted a 4Lz+3T and 4Lz. Also beat Eteri girls Andreeva and Lushkova (4S) at that comp along with Plushenko's Maria Mazur (Plush's Mazur ranked #2 in the short while she was #1). She won first place against everyone at the Moscow Championships with a single ultra-c element (and that 4S attempt wasn't great either) and she's not a Plush or Eteri girl. She's a Moi girl. If she can skate two clean programs with a single 4S (a suspicious 4S) the judges let us know she has the potential surpass everyone even Tut girls (and she beat multiple). She was leading in the short with the highest PCS of all the girls there at that first comp. First impression of the season and she impressed those judges over all of the other skaters. Too bad she couldn't upkeep the bar she set for herself. After that first comp of the season her consistency regressed. She removed the backloaded two 3-3's and did a 3-2 at Nats. Went from only the 4S being unstable to messing up her triples as the season progressed (At that rapid pace and even watering down her content of backloaded 3Lz+3T+2A and 3Lz+3T I suspect an undisclosed injury for her). So...her initial reputation went down from her first impression this season (can she bounce back next season? I want to find out).
  • She lost to Plush's top girl Kira by 0.12 points at Nats after reducing her jumps and messing up the combo in the short with a q. The gap is way too tiny. The win for Kira wasn't by huge margins but tiny tenths. With both clean Milana would have won (Keep in mind Kira had two clean skates for 199.22 while Milana had negative GOE for her short program combo getting 199.10).
  • Also:
  • I already covered the "confidence" thing, though Milana Lebedva finally realized what she should have all along.... she would fail her 4S with a capital "F" as she has been messing up the 4S all season after her first comp. Not putting it in at Nationals was great because it would 100% fail like it did most of this season (falling 4 out of 5 attempts are terrible odds). A good idea to not put it in considering it was never successful and at best...suspicious.

Based on competition the Moi girls have shown they are more than capable of beating multiple of the current Tut girls including their top skater Margarita with Milina in the beginning defeating everyone on the first try this season at the championships (before her suspected injury and regression)---I think Team Moi has the highest potential as a wild card to challenge Teamtut as they can defeat many of her skaters already when "clean enough" (none of the Moi girls skated at their best except Prineva last season with 291 at Novice Nats) but we'll see as the girls progress.

Due to this info throughout this season and seeing higher scoring for Moi girls over Plush girls overall they seem to be the impending rival team that the judges are pushing over the Plush girls to ultimately compete against Tut girls. When both team of girls are clean or both push top content they are pushing for Moi girls over Plush girls. They are valuing the Moi girls more. Judges even tried to their best to score Alena over Margarita at that early comp where Milana won but Alena keeps Zayaking so they had to rescore and Alena went from 2nd place to 4th after someone complained that they ignored Alena's Zayak. That's how Margarita won 2nd, because Alena was caught for Zayaking herself.

Team Tut are able to get their girls to the highest level when it counts most. No other team can do that to the same level yet, but anything is possible in the future. I'm watching out for the Moi girls as a potential threat in the future.

I do think Team Moi on the rise. Her method is still very new to me along with her girls (other than Prineva), but I see potential as they are already surpassing majority of the Plush girls in top scores alone this season.
You made good points and changed my mind on some things which I respect, but:

Muravieva's 3A at this point, based off Nats and Jumping Nats, is beyond "semi-consistent". She has easily the 2nd best and most consistent tech in the world (3rd if we consider Margarita).

Yea Mois might be the biggest potential unproven wildcard if we are super specific with that as the category but that wasnt made clear originally in your first post.

I also disagree with the inartistic Zhilina narrative. Like yourself most people's grievance is with her face and "emoting" but I dont consider this intrinsic or necessary. She isnt a master artist by any means but if we consider the overall field, even just in Russia, she is by no means below average and I consider her above average still. But this is my own opinion I want to give out and doesnt matter to the argument. So:

To expand on the actual point, even if we concede that Zhilina is lower than I had proposed as you argue, shes still of course higher than the Mois girls. Also I agree with your points that by seasons best, in juniors, Mois clearly outperformed Plush. Although I maintain Nats matters most. Anyways, point is then if we compare even a lowered standard Zhilina with Kira and Mura team Plush is minimum equal to Mois overall, and if we give even just 1 Plush skater benefit of the doubt he still wins out. Again, you expanded your statement now clarifying specifically about "unproven potential", but that wasnt made clear originally, so here I am not counteracting your updated statement but supporting my own original point.

And also, you make good points about Plush's history with Sasha and Kostornaia (though he did manage to bring Sasha at her best artistically, so I wouldnt call it a full failure, but yes were talking about raw score; just making that additional comment) but then again Muravieva is competing with Petrosian somewhat closely, and Petrosian is class 1, so in that sense despite Plush not proving quad girls he has still provably competed with Eteri, and also his camp is pretty new. So writing him out as a proven poor coach just based off quads isnt really fair, and so although Mois can hold the "unproven" category Plush has the proof and current skaters to still maintain as a more likely competitor overall since, again, he has actually proven something. Which again, might not be the specific point you have now clarified to, but its relevant to support my own earlier point.

I like Gorbacheva but she doesnt really have much to do with this discussion as far as I'm aware.

I also disagree comparing Mura's lack of confidence in full maxxing on 3As for like 1% chance at gold (her StSq fail was too much to realistically compensate for) to Dzepka not trying one quad for a guaranteed podium difference. But this doesnt matter much to me so its all good.

I think thats covers everything

uwoawuwoa

On the Ice
You made good points and changed my mind on some things which I respect, but:

Muravieva's 3A at this point, based off Nats and Jumping Nats, is beyond "semi-consistent". She has easily the 2nd best and most consistent tech in the world (3rd if we consider Margarita).

Yea Mois might be the biggest potential unproven wildcard if we are super specific with that as the category but that wasnt made clear originally in your first post.

I also disagree with the inartistic Zhilina narrative. Like yourself most people's grievance is with her face and "emoting" but I dont consider this intrinsic or necessary. She isnt a master artist by any means but if we consider the overall field, even just in Russia, she is by no means below average and I consider her above average still. But this is my own opinion I want to give out and doesnt matter to the argument. So:

To expand on the actual point, even if we concede that Zhilina is lower than I had proposed as you argue, shes still of course higher than the Mois girls. Also I agree with your points that by seasons best, in juniors, Mois clearly outperformed Plush. Although I maintain Nats matters most. Anyways, point is then if we compare even a lowered standard Zhilina with Kira and Mura team Plush is minimum equal to Mois overall, and if we give even just 1 Plush skater benefit of the doubt he still wins out. Again, you expanded your statement now clarifying specifically about "unproven potential", but that wasnt made clear originally, so here I am not counteracting your updated statement but supporting my own original point.

And also, you make good points about Plush's history with Sasha and Kostornaia (though he did manage to bring Sasha at her best artistically, so I wouldnt call it a full failure, but yes were talking about raw score; just making that additional comment) but then again Muravieva is competing with Petrosian somewhat closely, and Petrosian is class 1, so in that sense despite Plush not proving quad girls he has still provably competed with Eteri, and also his camp is pretty new. So writing him out as a proven poor coach just based off quads isnt really fair, and so although Mois can hold the "unproven" category Plush has the proof and current skaters to still maintain as a more likely competitor overall since, again, he has actually proven something. Which again, might not be the specific point you have now clarified to, but its relevant to support my own earlier point.

I like Gorbacheva but she doesnt really have much to do with this discussion as far as I'm aware.

I also disagree comparing Mura's lack of confidence in full maxxing on 3As for like 1% chance at gold (her StSq fail was too much to realistically compensate for) to Dzepka not trying one quad for a guaranteed podium difference. But this doesnt matter much to me so its all good.

I think thats covers everything

It's been a while since I've done any sort of analysis here so It's nice debating with you (I often don't comment as much because I got a pretty long ban last time from last year's thread with a controversial analysis since our girls were compared with certain international skaters in an event that I did not agree with. From then on I am on light mode forever now in this forum to prevent anymore bans :)).

I also disagree with the inartistic Zhilina narrative. Like yourself most people's grievance is with her face and "emoting" but I dont consider this intrinsic or necessary.

Actually, "Expressiveness & projection" is a required point under PCS. Specifically the "Presentation" section of the three main categories (Presentation, Composition, and Skating Skills). It's not actually optional as the point is specifically written down which is why I think she is "nerfed" despite how highly skilled she is. Unfortunately even though she is a one of a kind talent, keeping in mind she doesn't make enough effort to meet this benchmark I personally can't consider her as a standard in artistry. Expressiveness and projection is necessary. It's sad because she meets so many other points (musical sensitivity, timing, varied use of energy in movement, etc.) except for this main one.

I would like to see more progress in this section because she is so talented. Could become one of the greatest artist of her own generation if she truly leaned into her expressiveness and projection allowing more connection with the music as well as the audience. I hope to see it one day.

To expand on the actual point, even if we concede that Zhilina is lower than I had proposed as you argue, shes still of course higher than the Mois girls.

Yes, I agree based on last season Zhilina can beat all the Moi girls today in juniors. She's scoring 220+, 230+, etc. at the junior level. None of the Moi girls have even reached 220+ yet at the junior level. I think only Prineva with 220+, 250+, and 290+ back in Novices. In juniors though Prineva must prove herself (which she hasn't done yet at all. She was chaos. She had no clean skates without Zayaks. It's always something with this potential star but I love her so much).

I have some sad news. It seems Muravieva has withdrawn from Spartakiad for "medical reasons" and she was not able to recover in time to regain her form. 😭😭😭 I wanted to see another top level showdown of Petrosian vs Muravieva but, alas, it wont be so. I don't think her 3A is consistent enough based on the entire season and she almost didn't even make the qualifying round after failing the 3A. The judges helped her there so she could pass the qualifiers and get into the personal tournament.

If we compare her 3A at this point to the one from last year it does not look as strong or smooth when landed (except at the jumping comp personal tournament) and she failed it at every competition until she took control of her nerves by Nationals. Even after assessing a high failure rate she still pushed which I highly respect (she has guts) but personally I think the judges maybe might have given her a slight edge for her 3 triple axels.

I also disagree comparing Mura's lack of confidence in full maxxing on 3As for like 1% chance at gold

Realistically though you are correct. After re-calculating an extra 3A would only get her 3 to 4 extra points which wouldn't be enough against a tougher Petrosian. To win it seems Petrosian would need to fall one more time in the free for Mura to win with her 3 triple axels which is a tough ask at Nationals where Petrosian is usually the most hungry and determined in the free. At the moment it's Petrosian's to lose this season with almost no challenger.

Maybe Alina G (yes she's back into the convo :biggrin:) can get herself together by Spartakiad to rival Adeliia with a 3A (didn't she say she had one? We still haven't seen it) and two quad salchows. I know all her ultra-c jumps are all less stable than Mura and Daria, but since Mura won't be there as a challenger anymore Alina is kind of the next one in line (I don't know if Daria S can step up to the plate yet. Seems promising though if she skates clean).

I admit with one more of my favorite players out it makes the stakes a bit less interesting at Spartakiad even though Adeliia is my favorite player overall, I want her to sweat a bit for her wins like majority of my other faves did (Akateva, Anna, Sasha, Kami, Aliona, Muravieva, etc. They all sweat for that satisfying win). Right now it feels like Adeliia isn't sweating and cruising a bit at 1st place non-stop. Easy wins are nice, but a power struggle for gold is even more satisfying. I hope Alina G can bring it to make getting that gold tougher and more satisfying for whoever wins it (most likely Petrosian, but we never know).

Last edited:

Azikin

Medalist
I admit with one more of my favorite players out it makes the stakes a bit less interesting at Spartakiad even though Adeliia is my favorite player overall, I want her to sweat a bit for her wins like majority of my other faves did (Akateva, Anna, Sasha, Kami, Aliona, Muravieva, etc. They all sweat for that satisfying win). Right now it feels like Adeliia isn't sweating and cruising a bit at 1st place non-stop. Easy wins are nice, but a power struggle for gold is even more satisfying. I hope Alina G can bring it to make getting that gold tougher and more satisfying for whoever wins it (most likely Petrosian, but we never know).
I wouldn't underestimate Dasha...

Mathematician

Medalist
I wouldn't underestimate Dasha...
I dont know how anyone thinks Sadkova isnt the silver favourite now without Mura

Her linear progress is too obvious, she has the highest level SP easily and her 4T is significantly more consistent than Gorbacheva's 4S. Sadkova's triples looked way more stable in Nats than the stages and remember she was in injury recovery still during stages. So based off this progress its highly unlikely she is losing the silver. Sinitsyna without ultra-c and a lower level SP as well. Sadkova's general levels and skills are too much if she lands even 1/2 4Ts which is extremely likely.

Mathematician

Medalist
It's been a while since I've done any sort of analysis here so It's nice debating with you (I often don't comment as much because I got a pretty long ban last time from last year's thread with a controversial analysis since our girls were compared with certain international skaters in an event that I did not agree with. From then on I am on light mode forever now in this forum to prevent anymore bans :)).

Actually, "Expressiveness & projection" is a required point under PCS. Specifically the "Presentation" section of the three main categories (Presentation, Composition, and Skating Skills). It's not actually optional as the point is specifically written down which is why I think she is "nerfed" despite how highly skilled she is. Unfortunately even though she is a one of a kind talent, keeping in mind she doesn't make enough effort to meet this benchmark I personally can't consider her as a standard in artistry. Expressiveness and projection is necessary. It's sad because she meets so many other points (musical sensitivity, timing, varied use of energy in movement, etc.) except for this main one.

I would like to see more progress in this section because she is so talented. Could become one of the greatest artist of her own generation if she truly leaned into her expressiveness and projection allowing more connection with the music as well as the audience. I hope to see it one day.

Yes, I agree based on last season Zhilina can beat all the Moi girls today in juniors. She's scoring 220+, 230+, etc. at the junior level. None of the Moi girls have even reached 220+ yet at the junior level. I think only Prineva with 220+, 250+, and 290+ back in Novices. In juniors though Prineva must prove herself (which she hasn't done yet at all. She was chaos. She had no clean skates without Zayaks. It's always something with this potential star but I love her so much).

I have some sad news. It seems Muravieva has withdrawn from Spartakiad for "medical reasons" and she was not able to recover in time to regain her form. 😭😭😭 I wanted to see another top level showdown of Petrosian vs Muravieva but, alas, it wont be so. I don't think her 3A is consistent enough based on the entire season and she almost didn't even make the qualifying round after failing the 3A. The judges helped her there so she could pass the qualifiers and get into the personal tournament.

If we compare her 3A at this point to the one from last year it does not look as strong or smooth when landed (except at the jumping comp personal tournament) and she failed it at every competition until she took control of her nerves by Nationals. Even after assessing a high failure rate she still pushed which I highly respect (she has guts) but personally I think the judges maybe might have given her a slight edge for her 3 triple axels.

Realistically though you are correct. After re-calculating an extra 3A would only get her 3 to 4 extra points which wouldn't be enough against a tougher Petrosian. To win it seems Petrosian would need to fall one more time in the free for Mura to win with her 3 triple axels which is a tough ask at Nationals where Petrosian is usually the most hungry and determined in the free. At the moment it's Petrosian's to lose this season with almost no challenger.

Maybe Alina G (yes she's back into the convo :biggrin:) can get herself together by Spartakiad to rival Adeliia with a 3A (didn't she say she had one? We still haven't seen it) and two quad salchows. I know all her ultra-c jumps are all less stable than Mura and Daria, but since Mura won't be there as a challenger anymore Alina is kind of the next one in line (I don't know if Daria S can step up to the plate yet. Seems promising though if she skates clean).

You're right that expressivity and projection are required but thats listed as 1/3 factors of presentation which is even another only 1/3 of total PCS factors. Her personality just doesnt lend to that one minute thing. So yea I still dont know why people gripe about her as outstandingly lacking artistry just over this one detail. Yea she could improve that but again I never said shes perfect I just said people gripe about it as if she isnt still above average easily.

Petrosian is also my favourite; the only skater who has proven to be a real challenger is Akateva. Yes Mura is close but not close enough to call her an equal. Mura would need to drop her best ever skate and hope for Adeliia to fall like twice if she has a 3A recovered. Meanwhile Akateva can actually challenge a perfect Petrosian. Sadkova could actually also be an equal next season with a 3A or any other quad on top of her 4T - her levels and artistry are really good already.

Gorbacheva could surprise with a 4S and beat Sinitsyna at Spartakiad, I think its possible. But even so Daria's levels should easily take the silver as long as she lands 1/2 4Ts which is really likely given her linear progress & injury recovery throughout the season. And a 3A from Gorbacheva now to me seems unthinkable.

uwoawuwoa

On the Ice
You're right that expressivity and projection are required but thats listed as 1/3 factors of presentation which is even another only 1/3 of total PCS factors. Her personality just doesnt lend to that one minute thing. So yea I still dont know why people gripe about her as outstandingly lacking artistry just over this one detail. Yea she could improve that but again I never said shes perfect I just said people gripe about it as if she isnt still above average easily.

Petrosian is also my favourite; the only skater who has proven to be a real challenger is Akateva. Yes Mura is close but not close enough to call her an equal. Mura would need to drop her best ever skate and hope for Adeliia to fall like twice if she has a 3A recovered. Meanwhile Akateva can actually challenge a perfect Petrosian. Sadkova could actually also be an equal next season with a 3A or any other quad on top of her 4T - her levels and artistry are really good already.

Gorbacheva could surprise with a 4S and beat Sinitsyna at Spartakiad, I think its possible. But even so Daria's levels should easily take the silver as long as she lands 1/2 4Ts which is really likely given her linear progress & injury recovery throughout the season. And a 3A from Gorbacheva now to me seems unthinkable.

I don't think expression/projection is minute at all. Here's my reasoning of course you can feel free to disagree.

I think expression is major as it conveys the mood of a piece and allows us the audience as well as the judges to see whether the athlete knows how to interpret music.

For example, conveying sadness or anger when the mood of the song is meant to be happy and uplifting is bad interpretation of the music. An easy giveaway that the skater has no idea what emotion to portray and doesn't understand the music. They are not a strong performer and lack interpretation skills. Smiling the entire time through a song about heartbreak or death is also a dead giveaway of subpar interpretation and poor musical cognizance.

Demonstrating emotion that fits with the overall musical theme of the program showcases the skater is an artist who has full understanding of the music they are given. They fully immerse themselves in storytelling not just moving around nicely on the ice.

For example, a dramatic shift in the music for let's say a theme about a hero turned villain where at the end the skater spider lunges across the ice, gets up with their hand covering their face, and then upon opening their hands as they glide forward with the climax of the music they reveal their most sinister villainous look to let us know they are no longer the hero but the villain. In this scenario this visual emotional shift that we can see adds power to their performance. It adds meaning to the program as everything built up to this moment of becoming the villain.

However the same skater spider lunging with a blank face, gets up with a blank face, and then opens their hands with a dramatic reveal to a blank face does absolutely nothing to convey any meaning. Blank face the entire program. It does not connect us to anything. It doesn't display much of anything. How has the hero transformed into the villain? At which point did they change? What was the story if there even was one? Was the skater bored throughout the program? Did they not understand what's happening? Were they even engaged or committed to the music or theme they were given? Even though they skated well overall the skater lost us in whatever story they tried to illustrate completely frozen faced.

Having an emotionless stone face that has practically zero response to any shift in music or lyrics doesn't highlight that a skater understands what they are even skating to. The whole point of presentation is to show that skaters are engaged, committed, and understand the music they are skating to thus intertwining itself with the composition portion. Clear understanding of the music allows skaters to tie the emotional and musical portion (presentation) to overall movements/patterns portion (composition) as a unified fully linked piece.

How can skaters exhibit full commitment and understanding of the music with a blank face to a song about falling in love? Or a blank face for a piece about heartbreak? Or a blank face to a song about having the best time of your life? etc. The connection is incomplete. Whether the song is fast and upbeat, or slow and dramatic, or about love or hate, etc. if we know their face will stay blank throughout as they move no matter what is playing that is not a good performer. The opposite because they have no idea what to do or how to create a link between the movements and the emotion tied to that movement which will highlight the music and create meaning. Not just blank faced meaningless movements for the sake of moving.

Reaching out a hand to the audience with an exaggerated longing expression as the lyrics in the background say "don't leave me" and running forwards on your toepick looking pained and desperate creates more meaning to that movement and action than reaching out a hand with an expressionless face and running with a blank face towards nothing and giving nothing. This could be misinterpreted into a horror story and the skater playing a serial killer chasing after a victim with that blank face or even a comedy satire instead of having the original story and agony of being left behind by someone you love and desperately trying to catch up to them.

Blank face....The skater looks bored. Uninterested. Not committed. The skater at times looks lost, has no idea what to do with the music and doesn't bother with interpretation due to lack of understanding, and ultimately this gives the feeling that they are just trying to get this program over with. It highlights weakness in performance ability as everyone can clearly see the skater's face/reaction as they skate.

Worse, when this happens they look like they are miserable, being forced to skate (especially kids and teens) and honestly like they would rather be anywhere else. A lot of juniors and novices worldwide naturally look like that (blank faced because they truly would rather be anywhere else like playing with their friends rather than skating/training for hours. It's not a good thing to give at the senior level).

I hope this explains my point of view clearer.

------------------------------------ Now my reasoning is over. My thoughts about Nika specifically 😁

I don't think Nika can't improve, but she's not giving much in performance and emotional musical comprehension still after so many years. She's going to be at the senior level soon and it is a problem for a senior level skater (thankfully she is still junior technically). Majority of gold olympic medalists emote very well. Not many have a blank emotionless face majority of the time like she carries. That's not a coincidence and does not bode well for Nika's future against more expressive skaters if this continues.

She can still reach lower 8's despite not emoting much (which is very good! Not just above average but VERY good. You're not wrong Nika is absolutely very good. She is able to get into category gold even with a blank face, but if she tries to actually emote she can easily reach diamond with her skill level which is excellent) so it's not completely killing her or anything however it's giving others an edge over her. I think she can manage just fine and stay at the top until she is going up against an equally strong and expressive skater. That's when she will have a problem with that type of skater outscoring her easily in this category (like Alina). I don't want this section to be the main reason she may lose gold at an olympics (if she ever competes there). I'd rather it be because she stepped out of a quad lutz or fell instead of: "she did everything cleanly but the other skater emotes and connected with the audience while Nika didn't so she lost." I'd like to see more progress in that area so it's difficult to choose between her and the next best expressive quadster.

---------------------------------- Now about Dasha :)

Dasha hasn't fully convinced me that she can be the leader this season yet (maybe next season).

Hopefully she can convince me at Spartakiad. Her style reminds me of Kami's a bit (not fully, but I do see some hints of Kami's style when Daria skates which is nice, but of course she has her own look). I think If she won at least one GP event I'd see her as a leader, but she lost to Ksenia twice now. Also lost to Alina G twice now this season. I won't sleep on her, but I need her to step it up a bit in order for me to fully get behind her.

Last edited:

kcma

Rinkside
Country
United-States
This is unrelated but does anyone know where I can watch the Russian Novice Championships? Also when do they release those on the national team for next year? Thanks if anyone knows!
Previous Season's thread:

National team

Seniors

Sofia Akatieva
Kamila Valieva
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
Sofia Muravieva
Adeliia Petrosian
Anastasia Zinina
Reserve:
Veronika Yametova
Anna Shcherbakova
Alexandra Trusova
Maiia Khromykh

Juniors
Alina Gorbacheva
Veronika Zhilina
Maria Gordeeva
Sofia Titova
Nadezhda Ponteleenko
Lyubov Rubtsova
Reserve:
Elizaveta Kulikova
Daria Sadkova
Viktoria Morozova
Alisa Dvoeglazova
Taisia Korobitsina

Novices
Margarita Bazylyuk
Elena Kostyleva
Alena Prineva
Agata Petrova
Anastasia Marasanova
Kira Trofimova
Reserve:
Elizaveta Labutina
This is unrelated but does anyone know where I can watch the Russian Novice Championships? Also when do they release those on the national team for next year? Thanks if anyone knows!

Mathematician

Medalist
Theres a lot to miss about this season despite it being a prognosed failure according to most users in the beginning. I didnt think I would be missing Muravieva's programs but here we are. Of course as I've made clear plenty of times I am also going to massively miss Petrosian's FS.

So much to look forward to though for the next, especially in juniors. Really interesting to see what style Bazyluk continues with (balletic or intense? she showed potential for both) and Pleskacheva has shown great sophistication so to see how she develops will be awesome. Dvoeglazova is basically locked in with her style already but hopefully she maintains tech and beings more good programs. Trofimova with some stability might also make waves and I wonder how Titova will fair.

Of course also excitedly awaiting the return of Akateva. Wondering too how Sadkova develops because her potential is huge in every way but nerves seem a problem with her. Gorbacheva is a wild card, her 4S isnt looking good at all but she at least landed it once so you never know. She has a lot of potential and I'm hoping she reaches it.

And naturally looking forward for the rest of the obvious factors like Zhilina.