2023 Grand Prix de France Men's Short Program | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2023 Grand Prix de France Men's Short Program

icewhite

Record Breaker
Aww. He’s just a kid. He shows this over and over again, and truly, I find it endearing, and genuine

He's not a kid but a young man and it annoys me, lol. I don't think his cockiness will disappear with age.
But anyway, he's an insanely good jumper like I've never seen one before.
I'm just not sure this should be ahead of Adam, but I guess it won't matter because I doubt it's going to be this close tomorrow.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Ok, I think I'll take a break now until the last men's event today, the SP at Volvo Open. See you there or tomorrow! :cool:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ilia -- I still believe! Those quads that look like triples, they're so easy and fast. That lovely, genuine quality of joy when he skates. The way he's paying attention to what the music invites. He's putting it all together! :party2:❤️

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I will miss men's FS tomorrow, will watch it but later. I have nice things to do instead (we are going to watch four-hour-live-jazz-event), but still a pity after this, it would be exiting to see live.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Honestly, don't think that should be Step sequence Level 4 considering the fall. Even though it was on a transition and a fluke, he missed several seconds and took some time to get his balance back. If I was a judge, I would put it down to at least a Level 3 if not a Level 2.

43.06 for components? Give me a break! Ridiculous. He shouldn't be over 39. Period.

The fall at the beginning of the step sequence has no bearing on whether he completed the very specific requirements to garner Level 4. He took the hit, deservedly, on the GOE, not the level. It's similar to a skater falling out of a rotated jump; the base value stands, assuming it was rotated, and the hit comes to GOE.

It's a shame that fall marred the program, because he was racking up huge GOE on every element before that.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am just so happy Malinin is finally seeing GoEs for his jumps where they should be. Because if his jumps are not +4/+5, I don't know what is, because he comes as close to flying as humanly possible. The are incredibly high, fast and straight. Giving him 2's for them was so, so wrong.

I am also happy to see that Adam will finally edge out Aymoz as France's leading man. Fab 4Lz there and no nitpicking on PCSs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The fall at the beginning of the step sequence has no bearing on whether he completed the very specific requirements to garner Level 4. He took the hit, deservedly, on the GOE, not the level. It's similar to a skater falling out of a rotated jump; the base value stands, assuming it was rotated, and the hit comes to GOE.

It's a shame that fall marred the program, because he was racking up huge GOE on every element before that.
Apples and oranges. Level elements have requirements to reach level 4 and base value Not saying he did not reach them, I was not watching. Jumps bv has only to do with rotation and edge.

What concerns me more is the high PCS. When a skater like Ilia receives mid high 8s with a fall, what do we give to clean Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I understand intellectually why the fall didn't make more of a difference for Ilia. As an audience member, not so much.

But Ilia and Adam are essentially tied, and this is a good thing. No comp should be a walk in the park (unless my favorites are skating:laugh:.)

Ilia is committing more and more to the performance of this program and the improvement in his spins, I still can't get over. He had that performance potential when he was a cute little 14 year old in a motorcycle jacket, and I like to see him actually committing to it, rather than lip service.

Cockiness, meh. That doesn't impress me but it doesn't bother me. Let him call himself GodOfAllSkating for all I care, as long as he is respectful to everyone and doesn't gloat in "beating" other skaters. Which as far as I can tell, he does not.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Apples and oranges. Level elements have requirements to reach level 4 and base value Not saying he did not reach them, I was not watching. Jumps bv has only to do with rotation and edge.

What concerns me more is the high PCS. When a skater like Ilia receives mid high 8s with a fall, what do we give to clean Brown
I'm more so frustrated at the judges' inability to distinguish between the three categories. You can give Ilia an 8.75 in performance - he sold that program - and a 7.75 in skating skills. That's how it's supposed to work, but that's not what the judges are doing. This has been a problem for years in skating, and it's resulted in some serious PCS robbery for some skaters *cough Josefin Taljegard cough* because their other PCS components aren't as strong. But ultimately that's something the judging panel and ISU need to work out, the skaters don't control their scores.

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice

Rewatch the Step Sequence. You'll notice that he didn't do all of these. Even if you give him the "Complexity" bullet point (which to me was borderline), his fall resulted in him not completing the requirements for bullet points 2 and 4 anyways. To me, it's fairly black and white:

Requirements for Level 4 Step Sequence:

• Complexity: Must include at least 11 difficult turns and steps. None of the types of turns and steps can be counted more than twice. 5 types of turns and steps must be executed in both directions.
  • Rotations in either direction (left and right) with full body rotation covering at least 1/3 of the pattern in total for each rotational direction
  • Use of body movements for at least 1/3 of the pattern
  • Two different combinations of 3 difficult turns on different feet executed with a clear rhythm within the sequence. Only the first combination attempted on each foot can be counted.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Which is why I said "similar to" and not "exactly like."

The PCS can be argued, but I found that to be a complex and entertaining program, better than SkAm, IMO. I can also understand complaints about the placements. But really, it's a virtual tie, representative of the fact that it could have gone either way.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am just so happy Malinin is finally seeing GoEs for his jumps where they should be. Because if his jumps are not +4/+5, I don't know what is, because he comes as close to flying as humanly possible. The are incredibly high, fast and straight. Giving him 2's for them was so, so wrong.

I am also happy to see that Adam will finally edge out Aymoz as France's leading man. Fab 4Lz there and no nitpicking on PCSs.

Looking at the protocols, I found it interesting that the American judge gave Ilia the lowest (or tied for lowest) GOE on nearly every element.

Of course, that judge might have equally stingy with everyone (I didn't look), and this represents consistency in his viewpoint, but Ilia ain't get a lot of home-cooking help, at least here.

As far the French men, I prefer Keven emotionally, but my analytical brain doesn't think Kevin can beat Adam if he skates like that.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looking at the protocols, I found it interesting that the American judge gave Ilia the lowest (or tied for lowest) GOE on nearly every element.

Of course, that judge might have equally stingy with everyone (I didn't look), and this represents consistency in his viewpoint, but Ilia ain't get a lot of home-cooking help, at least here.

As far the French men, I prefer Keven emotionally, but my analytical brain doesn't think Kevin can beat Adam if he skates like that.

Kévin knows he will not "beat" Adam, but Adam and Kévin, as far as I can tell, respect each other and have no "aha my skating is better than yours" moments. Of course, every skater wants to win, but every skater also just wants to skate their best.

From Kévin's interview with GS, the French Fed took steps in GP assignments to help both skaters make GPF. Of course, it is up to the skaters, but they wanted to maximize their chances.

Kevin's goal is to finish top ten at Worlds with Adam, this year and next, to assure at least two French men in the Olys. That would be an excellent result, in my eyes. :)