2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Pair SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Pair SP

slider11

Medalist
Puzzled as to why Deanna and Max are ahead of Lia and Trennt. I know the judges want to put Deanna and Max in a good light for the world stage but Max's small jump error and Deanna's colossal fall on the throw should have put Lia and Trennt in first with their relatively clean program. I do like the music in Deanna and Max's SP and they capture the beat. Lia and Trennt seemed a tad mechanical; I did not really feel the "river" in their movements. Maybe that's the difference but it was still very good and I would have had Lia/Trennt first.

slider11

Medalist
Deanna seems like such a tortured soul after she skates. She doesn't glare at Max but when things go wrong that's the time to pull together. Rarely do I see her really happy. Maybe that is her perfectionist personality but it does detract from the enjoyment of watching phenomenal skaters relish their hard work and performance even if it is not perfect.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reading about the audio:

I decided to use the French feed not only to stay in practice, but reading about issues here. The French feed was good. Charlie's voice trails off, but I think that's Charlie. The woman (Alicia?) was clear as a bell the entire time, at least when I was listening.

The Anglophone side needs better mics. :)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Too bad about Deanna's fall but kudos for the quick recovery. They have such a commanding presence on the ice. I just love watching them.
She must have abs of steel. I've smacked face down like that in practice, just tripping in a spiral, and for almost a minute I couldn't breathe at all with a diaphragm spasm. It was quite a few more minutes before I could inhale and exhale in the proper sequence. The adrenaline and her well-known intense drive got her up and going without a pause.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Deanna seems like such a tortured soul after she skates. She doesn't glare at Max but when things go wrong that's the time to pull together. Rarely do I see her really happy. Maybe that is her perfectionist personality but it does detract from the enjoyment of watching phenomenal skaters relish their hard work and performance even if it is not perfect.
I've never met her, but a friend's daughter trains at the same rink. I'm told Deanna always intensely blames herself for every mistake or slip, even when it's obviously not her own error. My friend once overheard Max convince her that a messy lift was his fault and she said grudgingly, "Maybe, but I should have been able to react faster and hang on." She does celebrate good performances, like at SCI. She just does it fiercely :jump:

rain

Record Breaker
Oh... They've changed the music version in the first half 🤔 Not sure what I think about it yet :scratch2:
I don't know if I like it either. I like the non-acoustic version of the song better, but I get what they're going for artistically, and it did work. I thought Lia and Trennt had the best performance of the event, though I do understand why Deanna and Max are marginally ahead.

Laurin/Ethier really brought it as well, and I was pleasantly surprised by Carignan/Pierro. The commentators said C/P almost called it quits — I'm glad they didn't. I think they have a lot of potential, though it looks like they might have issues with the side by sides. They only did axels.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Puzzled as to why Deanna and Max are ahead of Lia and Trennt. I know the judges want to put Deanna and Max in a good light for the world stage but Max's small jump error and Deanna's colossal fall on the throw should have put Lia and Trennt in first with their relatively clean program. I do like the music in Deanna and Max's SP and they capture the beat. Lia and Trennt seemed a tad mechanical; I did not really feel the "river" in their movements. Maybe that's the difference but it was still very good and I would have had Lia/Trennt first.
stellar twist, lift, spins and death spiral. so yes, i agree that lia and trennt were cleaner but that twist is like a quad while the others are doing a triple... and btw. they are barely ahead.. so they were very penalized here.

rain

Record Breaker
Okay, I've settled on this program being a slay, and not annoying as I feared it would be after seeing it for the first time. 🙈 Such a shame about the throw fall, this hasn't been a great week for title favourites, has it? :(
I wasn't sure about this program the first time I saw it either, but I've really come around and think it's magnificent. If they can skate it clean at worlds it is going to hit like a meteor.
Have to wonder if Deanna is putting to much into being perfect on every element every time that she lets things get away at times.
It feels at times like she's holding on so tightly that it prevents the program from looking full-out, no-holds-barred free. It's that skating not to lose that so often creeps in and makes everything a little too cautious.
I always cringe when someone chooses I Dreamed a Dream, in case they have a really off-night and have to skate to "I dreamed my life would be so different from this hell I'm living".

There are definitely some songs people should stay away from, as when things don't go well, the lyrics become really unfortunate. One of Starr Andrews's programs is like that this season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't know if I like it either. I like the non-acoustic version of the song better, but I get what they're going for artistically, and it did work. I thought Lia and Trennt had the best performance of the event, though I do understand why Deanna and Max are marginally ahead.

Laurin/Ethier really brought it as well, and I was pleasantly surprised by Carignan/Pierro. The commentators said C/P almost called it quits — I'm glad they didn't. I think they have a lot of potential, though it looks like they might have issues with the side by sides. They only did axels.
they took a long break and came back together in the fall...

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
There are definitely some songs people should stay away from, as when things don't go well, the lyrics become really unfortunate. One of Starr Andrews's programs is like that this season.
And one that pair skaters shouldn't use is High Flying Adored, from Evita, with the repeated line "Don't look down, it's a long, long way to fall".