Medvedeva vs Zagitova | Golden Skate

Medvedeva vs Zagitova

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
In less than a month we will finally have Medvedeva and Zagitova face off in an international competition. Since they are probably the 2 favorites for OGM (assuming that Medvedeva is healed 100%) I thought it would be fun to make an all around comparison between the two, so I want to ask you all... who has got the best.....

-3F
-3L
-3Lz
-3T
-3S
-3+3\combo
-2A
-Spins
-StSq

-SS
-TR
-PE
-CH
-IN

This is meant to be something entertaining and not a war, both skaters are equally talented and I wish both all the best at Euros, OG and Worlds, this year and in the future

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Ss medvedeva
Tr medvedeva
Pe medvedeva
Ch medvedeva
In medvedeva

None are particularly close, especially last 3.

Medvedeva step sequence is also infinitely better. For jumps though, I think Zagitova is better overall. Especially axel and lutz are very weak for Medvedeva.

I think that everything depends on whether Medvedeva is up to full strength after being sidelined with a injury for so long.

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
IMO, no one can beat Med. Just my opinion.

Lily flowers

On the Ice
In my opinion
Salchow- Med
Lutz- Zagitova
Axel- Zagitova
The rest of the jumps- more or less equal
PCS- Med
Overall I would obviously choose Zhenya, but if there is anyone in the world I would like to beat her it would be Alina. (But I’ll keep hoping Zhenya wins though)

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
-3F: Med
-3L: Med
-3Lz: Zagi
-3T: Both
-3S: Med
-3+3\combo: Zagi, especially her 3Lz3L combo is very impressive
-2A: Zagi
-Spins: Both
-StSq: Med

-SS: Med
-TR: Med
-PE: Med
-CH: Med
-IN: Med

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Zagitova's PCS was scored correctly, it would be Med all the way. Zag should not be getting 9's. Her interpretation consists of smiling a lot. Her tech is well-deserved under the current scoring system. But when it is added to PCS of over 36 short and 72 long, it makes her nearly unbeatable if she skates clean. Fine, if she is in the Carolina Kostner range but she is not. Medvedeva is over-scored in PCS, too, but I find her to be a more engaging performer and better interpreter of her programs, even if I find them a little cheesy at times. With the PCS scoring being what it is, Med will need some 10's to beat Zag. I think she will do it if she is at full strength but it is not a sure thing.

pearly

Record Breaker
I am not sure they will both be at Euros. Zagitova needs it more to build reputation before Olympics, Medvedeva needs a competition since she missed two big ones in December, but I'm not 100% sure their coaches would really want them in the same competition before Pyeonghang.

andromache

Record Breaker
Jumps: Alina
Spins: Alina
Steps: Evgenia
PCS: Evgenia

Evgenia deserves slightly lower GOE than Alina on most elements, even if both skaters are meeting the criteria, simply because Alina's elements are better. Alina has a higher BV on top of that. However, Alina's PCS are a bit of a joke. She's a fantastic technical skater, and I'm not bothered by her unbalanced programs. Her elements go well with the music. However, she's definitely lacking in interpretation, and she's lacking in everything else when compared to Evgenia.

Evgenia is the total package and Alina isn't yet.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Medvedeva vs Zagitova ?

Alena Kostornaia.

:biggrin:

Best overall package since a long time in Russian figure skating. People are lucky she's not Senior eligible :dance2:

tars

Record Breaker
Medvedeva vs Zagitova ?

Alena Kostornaia.

:biggrin:

Best overall package since a long time in Russian figure skating. People are lucky she's not Senior eligible :dance2:
Very good girl but overrated in this forum.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Very good girl but overrated in this forum.
:eek:
She has a backloaded LP and it's not even obvious because she skates so well and most importantly, dances so well - this is what's missing from Zag big time (even though she's improved on that side a lot).
I'm just hoping she can keep her jumps after puberty (and her style too).

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that as a 3-time World & European champion Medvedeva has such a huge reputation that she cannot be beaten at the Olympics. Of course if she still suffers from the injury the matter will be different. Personally I really love Zagitova´s freeskate program & her performance and don´t like Medvedeva´s freeskate program that much.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Jumps: 100% Zagitova (More difficult jump content, better technique, better execution than Medvedeva)
Spins: Zagitova (slightly better than Medvedeva. More flexibility and speed)
Steps: Equals
SS: Medvedeva (more ease)
TR: Zagitova (her transitions are insane. Medvedeva's are good too but in 4 seasons they are almost all the same)
CH: Equals
IN: Medvedeva (more in her programs)
PE: Equals

Procrastinator

On the Ice
I’m not sure we should take for granted what Zagitova’s PCS will be. Look back at what Lipnitskaia was getting at 2013 Skate Canada compared to what she got at Europeans, Sochi, Worlds.

If Med doesn’t show up to euros, Zagitova will show up with a ton of momentum as reigning GPF champion, Russian national champ, and European champ. Plus, her interpretation has improved drastically at these last two competitions, especially in the short, which was once my least favorite SP this season but is now beginning to look good.

As far as GOE, the judges can technically give Zagitova +3 for everything and they wouldn’t be unjustified, just because of how the rubric works.

As far as PCS, I think both Zagitova and Evgenia’s skating skills are crap, and they don’t skate with a lot of power/speed/deep edges, but they do have a lot of multidirectional/one foot skating.

For transitions, they both succeed in different ways: Evgenia has really nice and difficult transitions in between elements (though they aren’t particularly subtle), whereas Zagitova has more difficult transitions into and out of jumps and her linking movements are usually interrupted by really distracting and forced cross overs.

Composition has to go to Zagitova. Given that the judges don’t care about backloading, the general choreography of Zagitova’s programs is much more compelling, refined, and subtle, compared to Evgenia’s weird sound effects/heartbeat and miming programs, which the judges are surely tired of.

Interpretation is hard. The judges will do what they want, but personally Zagitova is a little more subtle: she has more fluid arms and a cleaner body line, whereas Medvedeva has a lankier line and relies on over the top facial expressions that tell the judges “this is what is happening and what you’re supposed to be seeing and feeling” rather than allowing them to connect the dots and feel it for themselves.

That said, Evgenia’s reputation may lead the judges to be ignore those infelicities.

I’m not sure that Evgenia and Zagitova will both go clean as they’ve been error prone. But so have Osmond and Kostner, whom the judges have been holding up as dark horses for the title; but with their inconsistencies they could end up anywhere from 1st to 6th.

One final consideration:
It has been rare in recent years for the favorite/front-runner to win the Olympics

1998: Tara
2002: Sarah
2006: Shizuka
2010: Yuna (the one exception)
2014: Adelina

For similar reasons, I don’t think Yuzuru will win (no non-American reigning world champ has ever won the Olympics since Ondrej Nepala in 1972)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I prefer everything about Alina's skating over Evgenia's, but I have to acknowledge that Evgenia does many more things better. I wish Alina did two 3-3's like Evgenia so that Zagitova would clearly technically superior. Evgenia has been through more challenging situations, such as skating after Anna's disaster FS at Worlds and needing a high placement to secure three Olympic spots. These experiences, I think, will make the difference at the Olympics.