Women's Artistic Gymnastics | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Women's Artistic Gymnastics

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
oh wow that is horrible...i hope things change for the better now that Qiao Liang is back in China. i'm kind of getting the impression this kind of coaching is more normalized there than in places like the US? especially with the things about NiNi and her mother circulating around...is it taken seriously in China? can abusers be punished?

i have watched a couple episodes of All Around, i'll have to go back and watch again...if her coach is abusing her on camera, can something be done? or was done already? thats crazy he would have the audacity to do that on camera.

I sadly have no idea how stuff like that is perceived in China.

That being said, showing abuse on camera and no one caring is sadly not unique to China. There's a Margarita Mamun (RG) documentary showing her way to Olympic Gold in 2016 and it's basically one hour of abuse by various Russian coaches for the whole world to see. Here it is, if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgj5sUH3ULM

Also, what Bela and Marta Karolyi did in Romania and the US was known and well-documented for years; and no one cared in the US either, because medals were more important. Those who talked about the abuse were shunned and ridiculed (e.g. Moceanu). Only when it became public that a pedo was abusing gymnasts right under their noses, made possible by their training methods that were destroying gymnasts mentally and physically one bit at a time, it finally crossed a red line, and suddenly the public cared and there were consequences.

icybear

Medalist
oh wow that is horrible...i hope things change for the better now that Qiao Liang is back in China. i'm kind of getting the impression this kind of coaching is more normalized there than in places like the US? especially with the things about NiNi and her mother circulating around...is it taken seriously in China? can abusers be punished?
LOL can USA please stop pretending they have the high ground and preach about abuse happening in China or Russia. You know with the sexual abuse happening in US gymnastics. The only difference is that the USA has been doing a great job keeping it from being leaked out until recently. And by the way, Nini mother got a ton of backlash from the public in China

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL can USA please stop pretending they have the high ground and preach about abuse happening in China or Russia. You know with the sexual abuse happening in US gymnastics. The only difference is that the USA has been doing a great job keeping it from being leaked out until recently. And by the way, Nini mother got a ton of backlash from the public in China

I'm an American, and I can assure you I'm not pretending to have any sort of moral high ground because of my nationality. So you can leave that out of the discussion.

I am revolted by abuse of children, no matter who they are, no matter where they are, no matter whether they are elite athletes or non-public children.

My views on what should happen to adults who abuse children are so medieval that they are inappropriate for a family-friendly forum. That includes those who knew abuse was happening and did nothing to stop it. "Prison time" doesn't even BEGIN to cover it.

macy

Record Breaker

no one here is "preaching" about anything. i am well aware of the horrible things that have happened in US gymnastics (i work for the same university where Larry Nassar was employed, am local to where he lived and personally know some victims), British gymnastics, etc. i am asking about outside of sports and outside the culture of gymnastics in China. i hope Nini's mother did get a lot of backlash and that she continues to if her methods don't change because she deserves it.

macy

Record Breaker
sorry for the double post, but there is a new docuseries on youtube called Defying Gravity that explores the "untold" stories of elite gymnastics. i am only halfway through the first episode, but they have focused on Nadia Comaneci's olympic win and upbringing, Aly Raisman's 2012 olympic all around experience and missing a medal, Katelyn Ohashi and the injury that led to the end of her elite career, and the pressure she felt to push through it and how she was told to not see a doctor. if she hadn't, she could have had a spinal cord injury. Jordyn Wieber, Laurie Hernandez, Morgan Hurd and several other big names have been talking. a very interesting watch so far.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
Defying Gravity was surprisingly disappointing I think. It was all over the place, just a collection of anecdotes without anything to tie them together. Like, the first episode was about floor, yet half of the stories weren't even about floor in any way. It's like they didn't know at all in which direction they want to take the whole thing. It also feels so incredibly outdated with all the Miss Val praise and Maggie Haney shwoing up, now that we know they both put (some of) their gymnasts through hell.

Nevertheless, it's lovely to see so many different gymnasts getting some spotlight and a wider audience for their stories. That's great to see.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ugh...allegations have come out about the coaching at Texas Dreams. Not allowing parents to watch practices should be a huge red flag. USA Gymnastics needs to be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Russia withdraws from European Championships due to the coronavirus pandemic

" The Russian national team has withdrawn from the European Championship in 2020. This is due to the epidemiological situation. Our main goal is to preserve the health of our athletes and coaches. The team's goal is the Olympics, and each member of the Russian national team is its golden asset. The task at the upcoming European Championship was to win Olympic starts, but since the Olympic qualification has been moved to the 2021 European Championship, we decided not to risk it. "

Shchekoldina will replace Akhaimova who is infected with coronavirus

Some kind of commercial 4CC like tournament, so Rodionenko still goes after the prize money.

Team Japan will have to replace their star male gymnast Kohei Uchimura probably, who also has been infected.

Also, it is rumoured Akhaimova has discipline problems, and to go by her daily Tiktok excursions, Liliya is a somewhat of a rebel

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ugh...allegations have come out about the coaching at Texas Dreams. Not allowing parents to watch practices should be a huge red flag. USA Gymnastics needs to be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up.
HUGE red flag. In gymnastics, skating or any sport.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Conference championships tomorrow. So excited. SEC has the best coverage IMHO with the central stream and separate streams for each apparatus. PAC 12 I will never know. Impossible for me to get and they don’t sell a subscription like Big 10 does. Very frustrating as I’m a UCLA fan (well primarily Bama but I love UCLA’s dance).

macy

Record Breaker
Simone is still competing through the Olympics right? there really hasn't been any news from her on her training.

ALSO Chellsie Memmel is signed up for Classics and i am SOOOO EXCITED!!

Edit: just found the Classics entry list and it is STACKED. all the big names- Biles, McCusker, McCallum, Lee, Hernandez, Eaker, Carey, Skinner, Hurd, Wong, Chiles, McClain, Memmel. no way i'm gonna miss this!!!

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
anyone else tuning into nationals this weekend? i feel like i have been talking to myself in this thread since Edwin has been gone :frown:

MalAssada

Medalist
I read ya. Today is the first time I visited GoldenSkate since Worlds, so maybe I can bump this thread a bit. Is there somewhere free to watch Classics? I was very bummed to see JO Nationals was only broadcast by Flo.

EDIT: Just saw USA Gym is posting the videos, I'm thrilled!

macy

Record Breaker
I read ya. Today is the first time I visited GoldenSkate since Worlds, so maybe I can bump this thread a bit. Is there somewhere free to watch Classics? I was very bummed to see JO Nationals was only broadcast by Flo.

i wish it had been on Peacock since I get my subscription free through my internet provider, they broadcasted Classics.

Happy for Simone, as this is most likely her last nationals.

Gutted for Morgan Hurd. Not being named to the national team and having her Olympic dream taken away must be heartbreaking. she's struggled so much since her world title.

Very proud to be a Chellsie Memmel fan. Day 2 didn't go how she wanted but what guts and bravery to show up and compete on the national stage again after almost a decade. she's superwoman.

It being Simone's last season (very likely) she is going to leave a huge hole that nobody can fill. I think the US will do just fine in the future, but Simone carried US women's gymnastics for seven years. We are all going to realize how spoiled and blessed we were to watch the greatest athlete of all time once she's gone! we will never see another Simone for possibly the rest of our lives.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The selection of the Olympic Team is going to be very interesting.

If I'm picking right now, it's Biles, Lee, Carey, and Chiles.

NBC made a big deal about Jade already qualifying for an individual spot, but I think I'd forgo that and put her on the team.

In a three-up/three-count team final, I think Jade could deliver a lot on floor and vault. She's not the most artistic gymnast I've seen, and kudos to her for working hard to improve beam and bars... but I think the score differential she brings to her strongest events earns her the spot.

Edit: The top two all-arounders at Trials earn 2 of the 4 spots, so someone else could gain an automatic spot on the team, but assuming Biles is one of those two, I didn't see anyone at Nationals who could beat all three of the others, unless there's a spectacular meet for someone.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
The selection of the Olympic Team is going to be very interesting.

If I'm picking right now, it's Biles, Lee, Carey, and Chiles.

NBC made a big deal about Jade already qualifying for an individual spot, but I think I'd forgo that and put her on the team.

In a three-up/three-count team final, I think Jade could deliver a lot on floor and vault. She's not the most artistic gymnast I've seen, and kudos to her for working hard to improve beam and bars... but I think the score differential she brings to her strongest events earns her the spot.

Edit: The top two all-arounders at Trials earn 2 of the 4 spots, so someone else could gain an automatic spot on the team, but assuming Biles is one of those two, I didn't see anyone at Nationals who could beat all three of the others, unless there's a spectacular meet for someone.
Personally, I not sure I'd put Jade on the team, partly because it means that the US loses a spot (they could only take 5 gymnasts, rather than 6, if Jade is on the team) and partly because they don't really need her higher scores in team final.
I'm really impressed with her improvements on bars/beam though, and am glad she'll get a chance to do the AA in qualifications, whether she's on the team or not.

I agree about Biles, Lee and Chiles, but I'm not sure who'll end up with the 4th team spot (if Jade doesn't get it). Maybe McCallum as a solid 4th AA gymnast? I can see them possibly choosing McCusker for the other individual spot, as she has a shot at the bars final.

Is there somewhere free to watch Classics? I was very bummed to see JO Nationals was only broadcast by Flo.

If you prefer a full broadcast, instead of the individual videos (although it is NBCSN coverage...)
Classics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6-2bTScJw8
Nats Session 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ON6Zh0Zgo
Nats Session 2 (WAG): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz27_17r8eU

macy

Record Breaker
i don't fully understand the individiual vs team spots, but if they lose an extra individual spot if Jade is named to the team that doesn't seem like the smartest choice to me. But, that being said, at this point its looking like Lee, Biles and Chiles on the team. Who else can sneak in for the last spot? McCallum or Skinner? Or the 2nd individual spot? Maybe Eaker or McCusker?