You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When... | Page 44 | Golden Skate

You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When...

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
When you set your alarm for 6am on Saturday morning to watch the men's short at GP France.
Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 7.58.06 PM.png

I hope this posts okay.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
When you shed a tear watching second-to-last place finisher's My Way routine in his last Grand Prix event while remembering his first international appearance which was... don't remember the date but oh! how young we were back then...

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when you are watching an episode of the 80's TV series "Airwolf", and part of the story is set in Sverdlovsk. And the first thing you think is "ah, that's where one of the skaters I have adopted is from!" (Polina Ustinova).

Mind you, I really did not like the anti-Russian feeling that was coming through during the episode. But, I suppose that was a reflection of the attitudes of the era.

CaroLiza_fan

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mind you, I really did not like the anti-Russian feeling that was coming through during the episode. But, I suppose that was a reflection of the attitudes of the era.

CaroLiza_fan

A fascinating show to watch, that takes place in the 1980s but was made for 6 seasons starting in 2013, is "The Americans," starring Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell. It explores so many of the attitudes, from multiple directions and varying degrees of paranoia on both sides. A number of the actors who play the Russian parts were born of Russian parents who'd immigrated to various continents before the actors' births. It was even more interesting to me because of what I've learned from figure skaters and figure skating, the interviews I've read translated from the Russian, etc. Many, many hours of viewing pleasure (something like 22 episodes per season) made better because of the complexity of ideas. Highly recommended ... by me! If you do watch, be sure to watch strictly in order, no skipping around. It's just phenomenal, the writing and the acting are great. Especially Rhys and Russell.

:ot::hijacked::ot::hijacked::ot::hijacked:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A fascinating show to watch, that takes place in the 1980s but was made for 6 seasons starting in 2013, is "The Americans," starring Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell. It explores so many of the attitudes, from multiple directions and varying degrees of paranoia on both sides. A number of the actors who play the Russian parts were born of Russian parents who'd immigrated to various continents before the actors' births. It was even more interesting to me because of what I've learned from figure skaters and figure skating, the interviews I've read translated from the Russian, etc. Many, many hours of viewing pleasure (something like 22 episodes per season) made better because of the complexity of ideas. Highly recommended ... by me! If you do watch, be sure to watch strictly in order, no skipping around. It's just phenomenal, the writing and the acting are great. Especially Rhys and Russell.

That was one of the very best television series I've ever seen.

It combined Cold War politics, spying/counterspying/underhandedness, 80's nostalgia and history, and plain old family drama.

It is incredibly well-written. From an American perspective, you want them to fail their missions, but you also want them to escape the close calls because you kind of like them. You root for them to resolve their marriage and family issues, even if it involves the daughter entering the family business... artfully written so that the viewer has conflicting reactions throughout the series. A+

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...when the international version of Peacock becomes available on Sky, and you are looking through the A-Z listings, and nothing inspires you. Until you reach "S", and you spot a film and you think "one of my favourite figure skating programmes was done to a song used in that film!" And you decide that you will have to make sure to watch it before it expires (which isn't until the end of August next year, so plenty of time to get round to it).

In fact, although the film I am talking about has been around for 29 years, and the song has been around for 86 years, the first time I heard the song was during a figure skating competition.

Here is the scene where the song appears in the film it was originally recorded for, "Tango Bar" (1935):

Carlos Gardel - "Por Una Cabeza"

And here is the scene where the song appears in the film that I am talking about, "Scent Of A Woman" (1992):

The Tango Project - "Por Una Cabeza"

And here is my favourite figure skating programme done to it:

Anna Pogorilaya - 2017 European Championships SP

Boys, but I miss her!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2149175/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

That was one of the very best television series I've ever seen.

It combined Cold War politics, spying/counterspying/underhandedness, 80's nostalgia and history, and plain old family drama.

It is incredibly well-written. From an American perspective, you want them to fail their missions, but you also want them to escape the close calls because you kind of like them. You root for them to resolve their marriage and family issues, even if it involves the daughter entering the family business... artfully written so that the viewer has conflicting reactions throughout the series. A+

Thank you for the recommendation.

From what you guys have said, it does sound like it would be very interesting, and something that I would enjoy. So, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I see it was originally broadcast on FX. Unfortunately, the UK version of that channel closed down a few months ago. So, I suspect that the series is now only available on Disney+, which I don't intend getting unless absolutely necessary. (We are already paying for Sky, Eurosport Player and BT Sport. That's more than enough).

But, I live in hope that some channel will repeat it.

And don't worry, @skylark , I am a strict watch things in order person! So, if I do get the opportunity to watch this series, that is exactly what I'll be doing.

Thank you both again

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan