2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes

skatefancan

Rinkside
Pardon me, but I disagree with what you are expressing, which may not be a criticism in your eyes, but it comes across very much like a putdown. There's no necessity to like J/C and their skating nor to think they could have been in a position to win the Olympics in France, but to suggest they "could end up near the bottom of the top ten," is a very dismissive comment. They certainly would not belong there on merit after all the strides they made, and after all the influential style and movement aesthetics they brought to their skating, that became their signature over the last several seasons of their career.

Vanessa has her own brand of grit and determination. Only Aliona is Aliona, and that's as it should be. Only Duhamel is Duhamel, naturally. Only Vanessa is Vanessa, c'est bien! Thanks to the skating gods for Vanessa's abounding grace, determination and courageous battle to carve out a successful career in this difficult, and very political sport.
I understand where you are coming from @BlissfulSynergy And i think Vanessa is very talented. They could have challenged for a medal absolutely. However, I think they called it a career after the revelations about him. It is disappointing that Vanessa cannot continue because of his behaviour. And i say that with full vulnerability that i have been a victim of much sexual abuse/coercion/psychological and physical abuse by coaches. I believe for her to continue she would most definitely have to find a new partner. One with integrity and accountability. They did great things in skating. She did great things. Love and Light.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sean Rabbitt has announced his retirement from competitive figure skating::cry:

an engaging, energetic skater and performer who gave it his all every time he was on ice. I will miss him.

best of luck to Sean in the future:clap:
I just saw this also. So sad. Was glad I got to see him this year at Nationals. And have something thrown to him for me.

Seven Sisters

Medalist

an engaging, energetic skater and performer who gave it his all every time he was on ice. I will miss him.

Sean, you just keep living your best life, okay? We will all miss you and your obvious love of the sport.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I saw him a little over a year ago at a charity skate and he is so entertaining. I hope to see him again at an ice show. And I really want to see him in the kiss n cry as a coach.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've always enjoyed Sean's skating. He exudes such infectious joy when he skates. I will missing seeing Sean on competitive ice, but hopefully he will be continuing in the sport as a coach and a budding choreographer, fingers-crossed! It seems to me that this pandemic is the cause of so many recent retirements, understandably.

Kudos to Sean! It would be so amazing to meet him in person one day, and to be the recipient of one of his ear-to-ear smiles!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I believe for her to continue she would most definitely have to find a new partner.

Vanessa had a great partner on the ice in Morgan. They were well-matched physically and there was a palpable spark and chemistry between them that is something special that cannot be taught. It wasn't an easy relationship and most definitely not an easy career for them, but they persevered. I think Vanessa was the more mature and level-headed person in their partnership. Vanessa has given it her all and she found a way to continue skating and reaching her goals against enormous odds and challenges.

Vanessa began as a young singles skater in the U.S. She eventually relocated to Great Britain, where she became a champion singles skater, prior to partnering with Yannick Bonheur to represent France in pairs. Yannick and Vanessa competed at the Olympics in 2010, and they performed with notable reception at 2010 Worlds in Los Angeles. Later in 2010, after Yannick retired, Vanessa partnered with Morgan Cipres. J/C began a journey that culminated in their successful and influential final three competitive seasons. They achieved major championships that only a few short years before had seemed out of reach for them.

Having built an amazing career as a competitive skater, I seriously doubt that Vanessa has any thoughts of trying to come back with a different partner. I would be very surprised to see that happen. Good luck to Vanessa in whatever her future holds!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm not sure whether it's been mentioned on GS, but I heard that former junior pairs skaters, Finster/Nagy have decided to split. I am not surprised to hear this. When I saw them competing in the virtual ISP #2 competition recently, I felt they would have a difficult time successfully transitioning together in senior pairs. My immediate thought was that there was something stressful going on, which apparently there was at their rink and with their coach. But just in terms of them progressing together, even despite their messy virtual performances, I simply felt that Finster needs a taller partner, and that Nagy would be more suited to finding someone else who could make a better physical match. F/N were fine together as juniors, but they seemed to reach their peak as partners in their final season as juniors.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure whether it's been mentioned on GS, but I heard that former junior pairs skaters, Finster/Nagy have decided to split. I am not surprised to hear this. When I saw them competing in the virtual ISP #2 competition recently, I felt they would have a difficult time successfully transitioning together in senior pairs. My immediate thought was that there was something stressful going on, which apparently there was at their rink and with their coach. But just in terms of them progressing together, even despite their messy virtual performances, I simply felt that Finster needs a taller partner, and that Nagy would be more suited to finding someone else who could make a better physical match. F/N were fine together as juniors, but they seemed to reach their peak as partners in their final season as juniors.
I certainly enjoyed their performance in Greensboro. Oh well.

Weathergal

Medalist
Philip Warren of France has decided to retire, at least in part because of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, and will be moving into a show skating career.

That would fit him really well. I've seen him a few times live and he is really fun to watch. Wish him all success!

I "discovered" Philip Warren watching French Nationals a few years ago and really enjoyed watching him. Best wishes to him in his show career -- I agree it'll be a great fit!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I "discovered" Philip Warren watching French Nationals a few years ago and really enjoyed watching him. Best wishes to him in his show career -- I agree it'll be a great fit!
You only recently discovered Philip? I believe he was born in the U.S. He trained with Richard Dornbush under Tammy Gambill as a junior skater and he won medals in his junior career representing the U.S. He's always been extremely talented and a fun skater to watch. But timing, backing, competitive material, training, financing, self-belief and opportunities have to pan out just right for any skater to reach their full potential. Philip switched to representing France because he has French ancestry, and much like Keegan Messing did in switching to represent Canada, Philip was searching for a way forward competitively. Sadly, the switch did not fully work out for him.

Good luck to Philip in his show skating pursuits!

Weathergal

Medalist
You only recently discovered Philip? I believe he was born in the U.S. He trained with Richard Dornbush under Tammy Gambill as a junior skater and he won medals in his junior career representing the U.S. He's always been extremely talented and a fun skater to watch. But timing, backing, competitive material, training, financing, self-belief and opportunities have to pan out just right for any skater to reach their full potential. Philip switched to representing France because he has French ancestry, and much like Keegan Messing did in switching to represent Canada, Philip was searching for a way forward competitively. Sadly, the switch did not fully work out for him.

I'm aware of his background, and as I mentioned, I've been following him for a few years -- not recently.

Somewhat related: I'm thinking that "ex-patriate skaters" might be a good idea for a thread.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Sure @Weathergal. I'm glad you 'discovered' Philip. I first saw him as a U.S. junior under Tammy Gambill, and he also competed in U.S. seniors for a few years before switching to represent France. I've always enjoyed watching Phlip. He's very talented, but everything did not come together for him competitively in the way his talent certainly anticipated and deserved.

Some past performances by Philip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v3khrX-2qk JGP 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nRSYGs3NgU Finlandia Trophy FS 2019

Last edited:

Icix

Rinkside
Apparently, Sara Campanini and Francesco Riva have split. Francesco will participate to Italian National Championships with Chiara Calderone (former Italian Jr National Champion with Pietro Papetti). Sara and Francesco had some very good achievements both in the National and International stages. Wish these kids all the best

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Apparently, Sara Campanini and Francesco Riva have split. Francesco will participate to Italian National Championships with Chiara Calderone (former Italian Jr National Champion with Pietro Papetti). Sara and Francesco had some very good achievements both in the National and International stages. Wish these kids all the best.
That's interesting because, according to the article about the Gran Premio Italia (it's from 7th Oct., so things may have changed), Chiara Calderone is skating with Aleksei Dubrovin in senior ice dance, so I'm guessing they must've split too to allow the new partnership to form? In any case, best wishes for good performances in the future to all the skaters involved!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Italian ice dance below Guignard/Fabbri has been in search of a breakout team for a few years now (a particularly urgent matter between the top team's presumed impending retirement and the lure of a home Olympics to come).

ice_tulip

On the Ice
Skating Lesson reported on Twitter that Danny O'Shea has retired, but I couldn't find any more info, and neither Tarah nor Danny has posted about retirement on their respective social media. If this news is true, it's quite shocking! Danny still could have quite a few good years left. If only he had found the right partner. He could have had much greater success.