2015-16 Grand Prix assignments

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't feel stupid!

Many of these rules make no sense.

Lots of rules change every year.

No one can get them all memorized unless they have little else to do in life., and you are a very busy student. :laugh:

True. Especially last weekend I studied for 3 tests, though one of them I focused more on than the other 2....and it didn't work out exactly how I hope. I mean it wasn't a HORRIBLE grade, but it was in my opinion (I put standards on what's good or not...with exceptions to at least one subject (chemistry)).

Shani

On the Ice
It is possible to get two passports in your own name, linked, with a valid reason, like you are going to travel on business and have to submit one or both to a foreign embassy for visa's. Misha Ge has had previous visa issues in a number of years so no big surprise...

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh, no, Misha. And I thought TEB would have been a great fit for you, please let this work out?!?:mad:

Noooooooo!! I just discovered this skater and it will just kill me if he's unable to perform. Why is this happening so late? It doesn't give him much time to get things in order. I really hope they can get things taken care of in time for him to attend his assignments. If he misses his GP's what, if anything, will happen to his world ranking? He's Top 6 right?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Reading Misha Ge's visa issues made me realize how little knowledge folks here have about visas and who is restricting whom.

It should be put in this way: Uzbekistan people are mostly restricted regarding where can travel outside of the country, since they need a visa to go to most countries, including France. It is not the Uzbekistan government who issues a French visa, it is the French embassy or consulate in another country that is granting the visa. I believe the Uzbekistan government wishes Misha well and wants him to compete as much as possible, that's why they actually gave him a citizenship even though neither of his parents, nor himself was born in Uzbekistan.

So back to the topic, it is probably the French consulate or embassy, representing the French government that is responsible for his visa issues, not the country Misha Ge is representing. :mad:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Reading Misha Ge's visa issues made me realize how little knowledge folks here have about visas and who is restricting whom.

It should be put in this way: Uzbekistan people are mostly restricted regarding where can travel outside of the country, since they need a visa to go to most countries, including France. It is not the Uzbekistan government who issues a French visa, it is the French embassy or consulate in another country that is granting the visa. I believe the Uzbekistan government wishes Misha well and wants him to compete as much as possible, that's why they actually gave him a citizenship even though neither of his parents, nor himself was born in Uzbekistan.

So back to the topic, it is probably the French consulate or embassy, representing the French government that is responsible for his visa issues, not the country Misha Ge is representing.
:mad:

of course it is the French embassy/consulate issuing the traveling documents... and not Uzbekistan... the issue though, coming from Uzbekistan is that one needs a visa to pretty much go ANYWHERE in the world... and for this reason, it's again, not France to blame but the organizers of the event ....

these are the people who need to send the invitation letters EARLY enough for the skaters to get the paperwork in time. (many people do not need the visas btw... like europeans or north americans, can go to france without it)

What Misha is explaining is that these papers came too late... and now it's a struggle... The ISU needs to intervene and regulate when these are sent by organizers so that they are sent early enough to allow for a VISA to be delivered. It can take 6-7 weeks sometimes... so that's why Misha is worried as he has 21 days to get his.... Very tight.

I am thinking that in the end, he will get it... let's wish him best and not worry for now ;)

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
The Pairs list has been updated today. I am not really sure what the new info is but it seems that Madeline AARON / Max SETTLAGE will not be skating at CoC, so there will be an open spot at the CoC.

http://static.isu.org/media/1031/gp_pairs_15-10-06.pdf

They do still have to fill it at this point, right?

I believe Della Monica/Guarise (assigned to TEB) are atop the substitutes list right now, followed by Calalang/Sidhu (assigned to NHK), Purich/Wolfe (no assignment yet),Jones/Regan (no assignment yet), and then maybe Fields/Stevens? (I am not sure if Purich/Wolfe or Jones/Regan may have split, but nonetheless strongly suspect the spot will go to Della Monica/Guarise).

The Finn

Record Breaker

Yes, it is mandatory that they have to replace the couples who withdraws from the event up to fourteen days prior to the draw for that event. For the ladies and mens the replacement is voluntary if the withdraws would be the 11th or 12th skaters but they have to replace the 10th skater, it is mandatory.

Lipea

Final Flight
It is possible to get two passports in your own name, linked, with a valid reason, like you are going to travel on business and have to submit one or both to a foreign embassy for visa's. Misha Ge has had previous visa issues in a number of years so no big surprise...

No, it is not. In Uzbekistan there are no international passports if that's what you mean. There is one passport, the main and only, and it is used for absolutely everything. The visas are put in this passport. Besides the visas one needs to get from the countries he/she travels to, he/she also needs to get an Exit visa from Uzbek authorities, which is sort of equal to international passport in Russia. Plus recently they required all the citizens to change the passports to the ones of a newer standard. It all takes LONG time. You would never imagine how much of headache Misha has to go through to be able to travel.

cjmorton29

Rinkside

I believe Della Monica/Guarise (assigned to TEB) are atop the substitutes list right now, followed by Calalang/Sidhu (assigned to NHK), Purich/Wolfe (no assignment yet),Jones/Regan (no assignment yet), and then maybe Fields/Stevens? (I am not sure if Purich/Wolfe or Jones/Regan may have split, but nonetheless strongly suspect the spot will go to Della Monica/Guarise).

Jones/ Reagan are assigned to Skate Canada Autumn Classic:http://skatecanada.ca/event/2015-autumn-classic-international/ , so obviously they are still together.
I find it weird that Purich/ Reagan ave received no assignments- I have heard nothing, and I have seen that they have done some small national/ provincial summer competitions, so I don't think they have split. Maybe they didn't want any assignments? I would like to see them get this spot though.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??????

:cry: :cry: :cry:

First D/F, now them?!? :mad:

I know. I don't think there's any question now that this is why A&S weren't chosen for Skate America. Sigh. But what kind of injury is "this"? Are we going to be experiencing this disappointment all season? If it's a long-term issue, I wish they would tell us so I could stop feeling so upset every couple weeks & getting more and more worried.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Pairs list has been updated today. I am not really sure what the new info is but it seems that Madeline AARON / Max SETTLAGE will not be skating at CoC, so there will be an open spot at the CoC.

http://static.isu.org/media/1031/gp_pairs_15-10-06.pdf

Max Settlage has a back injury, per USFS:

(10/6/15) - Madeline Aaron and Max Settlage have withdrawn from the 2015 Cup of China. Settlage is recovering from a lower back injury sustained in August.

Settlage, under the care of the Olympic Training Center sports medicine team, has returned to the ice and is expected to make a full recovery. The team is now expected to make its season debut at 2015 Tallinn Trophy, Nov. 18-22, in Tallinn, Estonia.

http://usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=51495&type=media

Best to Max as he recovers.
Look forward to seeing Maddie and Max compete in Tallinn.

ETA:

"I'm disappointed that Madeline and I won't be able to compete at Cup of China," Settlage said. "I'm working very hard to be 100 percent for the second half of the season."
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/10/06/153482022 (Oct 6)

@Max_Settlage
Thank you everyone for all your love and support!
3:32 PM - 6 Oct 2015
https://twitter.com/Max_Settlage/status/651525588579053573

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Sorry to hear he is injured but glad it does not sound too serious... hopefully they will do just great in Tallinn.

blue eyed birds

Spectator
Jones/ Reagan are assigned to Skate Canada Autumn Classic:http://skatecanada.ca/event/2015-autumn-classic-international/ , so obviously they are still together.
I find it weird that Purich/ Reagan ave received no assignments- I have heard nothing, and I have seen that they have done some small national/ provincial summer competitions, so I don't think they have split. Maybe they didn't want any assignments? I would like to see them get this spot though.

Natasha Purich is back to singles. She reportedly competed at Sask Skate last weekend.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Misha is out of TEB: https://twitter.com/ifsmagazine/status/652120072916439040

https://twitter.com/mishageofficial/status/652011763639128064

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I feel like the ISU/French Federation should be in some ways held responsible for this Misha issues.

He earned two GP spots, she should not have to withdraw because of external incompetence and poor planning. There is no reason for it to take so long to get the letters to the skates, the ISU/French Federation frankly should be liable for damages for failing to do their part and get the required documents to the skaters in time. The skates should not get burned by their poor planning. They had a duty to Misha and they failed in that duty and I don't like the idea of them getting away with it.

Frankly I think TEB should lose Grand Prix status over this. If their country is so hard to get a visa to, they should not be allowed to host major events like this. If they can't bloody help the skaters that they invite actually come and compete, they should not be a Grand Prix event. Give it to Nebelhorn or give Spain a Grand Prix event and TEB can be a challenger event. If the French Fed is so lacking in power that they can't even get the skaters in the country, it should be given to somewhere easier to get to. This should not have happened.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It would have been great if the ISU was more nimble. They could have given Grant Hochstein TEB (there was only 1 US man there, Max Aaron) and then put Misha Ge at NHK, where it probably would have been easier to secure a visa (not to mention he would had a little more time).