2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Women SP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Women SP

Sabrina

Record Breaker
The stream is down again! I know it is not ladies...but it started with ladies and it goes on!Devilish!

Sabrina

Record Breaker
And at TSN they interviewed only Kaetlyn and Gabby, ignoring Alaine...I assume they had problems finding her. :eeking:

kresslia

Medalist
And at TSN they interviewed only Kaetlyn and Gabby, ignoring Alaine...I assume they had problems finding her. :eeking:
I can't be imagining this annoying bias towards Kaetlyn and Gabby. Kaetlyn I understand, Gabby I just don't get their obsession with.

liv

Record Breaker
I didnt really get why Gabi won last year and all the focus on her either. I definitely prefer Alaine and hope she brings it in the long to grab that world's spot.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Osmond - Dom Perignon

Chartrand - A Shaken Not Stirred Martini

Daleman - A Premium Gin & Tonic

Mallet - A Pink Champagne

Have we ever had 4 ladies in the 60+ range at Nationals? Wonderful skating and so well done Canadian Ladies! So proud of all of you...and of course, the appreciative Halifax crowd, which tends to bring out the best in sport!

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, Gabby is the defending national champion, and Kaetlyn the one before her... Maybe TSN just figures they are the better known of the three? I'm a big Alaine fan, don't get me wrong. Her SP is one of my favorites this season. (still dying for a link of today's skate, cough cough) :)

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
It was interesting that Tracy Wilson made a score comparison between the Ladies' SP here and the Ladies' SP at US nationals.
Im not usually one to criticise a commentator like Tracy, but I don't think that was good.
The marking at US nationals was certainly very strict. The judging here was definitely more relaxed

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
It was interesting that Tracy Wilson made a score comparison between the Ladies' SP here and the Ladies' SP at US nationals.
Im not usually one to criticise a commentator like Tracy, but I don't think that was good.
The marking at US nationals was certainly very strict. The judging here was definitely more relaxed

Calls strict? Did you watch any video from the US Nationals? No technical calls except Mirai, and the over awarding in the Pairs event. I know that the US is desperate to rebuild their Pairs but please...don't let this need, lead to unrealistic expectations (ie S&K).

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Between Edmunds and Osmond - no doubt yes. I know their level.

And not "just one element" but most important element of SP - jump combo.

Btw - not one element but two. Edmunds had StSq Level 4, Osmond Level 3.

Well, you should compare Polina and Alaine then.. They exscuted identical elements except for Polina's 3F and Alaine's 3Lo which was worth more with the bonus. Polina, 38.36+31.83=70.19. Alaine, 37.95+30.86=68.81. That should satisfy your system.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Wonderful to see Osmond skating close to her best. Who was better- that's the question. I personally enjoyed Kaetlyn's program more because she really pulls me in and has a way of gliding across the ice. Alaine essentially received the mark that she would receive in an international competition, with maybe a point or two of GOE and PCS inflation. I don't disagree with the judges' take that much. Kaetlyn did get boosted rather hard, especially in the PCS segment. I agree that she should be higher than Chartrand but I don't think the difference should amount to five points.
I would have had them in a dead tie going into tomorrow. Should be an excellent, competitive free skate- I'm looking forward to it!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
But then again, if Ashley only goes for the 3-2, people are going to call her conservative and complain.

It's ironic, eh. Gabby's error costs about the same amount of points as Osmond downgrading from 3-3 to 3-2, and the response is that she nailed it. I'm pretty sure if Ashley hadn't gone for a 3-3 and played it safe with a 3-2 like Osmond, she would have gotten some naysayers, but would have been firmly in 2nd and lauded for a "solid skate".

Also, it is conservative for Wagner to do a 3-2 at US Nationals, than for Kaetlyn to do a 3-2 at Canadian Nationals where the overall standard is lower in the Ladies event.

dasani

On the Ice
Does anybody have links to the other girl's short :O ?? (Veronik and Gabrielle...)

Here is the TSN broadcast of the last group of Ladies. I just uploaded this so it'll take a while for the vid to convert to HD :)
https://youtu.be/cwNrVfNxNa4

Last Group of ladies includes:
Kim DeGuise Léveillée
Larkyn Austman
Kaetlyn Osmond
Véronik Mallet
Alaine Chartrand
Gabrielle Daleman

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What does overscoring even mean with regards to nationals? Doubtful a skate without a 3-3 get's over 70 but the judges love her and so I think she could still score fairly high.
----

OTOH, Gracie Gold received a 66 for her GPF SP with an invalid element... so you would think Keatlin could score at least around that with just a 3-2... though I'm not sure the judges love her that much.

Hard to tell if Kaetlyn was overscored - probably yes it is nationals but compared to the US probably not where Gracie and Ashley had major errors and still scored so well. Kaetlyn if on probably should have higher pcs than Polina though edmunds is ranked much higher now (because Kaetlyn was injured and coming back).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No, it is too soft.

I'm not US or Canadian, I'm Russian (so will not compare with Russian scores).
But I see that Polina Edmunds got 70.19 for 3Lz+3T, really nice and really solid skating. The same score for 3+2 is out of my mind.

Well there may have been some issues about Polina's jumps but yes it is inflated. SHe should have gone with the 3T3T