2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Women SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Women SP

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn's program was nice to watch, but I was not blown away.

Agreed but Polina has less it power other than she is American and some people say her jumps weren't as solid as some might suggest - look at Kaetlyn's triple lutz - wow - memories of Manley, Thomson, Rochette and Choiunard who are Canadian ladies who when on their lutzes were amazing. What might be more interesting is Canada usually gets killed by the Americans I wonder hwo the top three or so would stack up against each other.

lyndichee

Medalist
I feel pretty terrible for Alaine. I think she deserves first place in this segment. While I did enjoy Katelyn's program much more, that PCS gap is just unfair. It is pretty much telling everyone else that they have no chance. It is discouraging.

Now that I have seen the videos I slightly prefer Alaine over Kaetlyn. Artistically Kaetlyn was superior, gliding like a feather on the ice but, I am more to the technical side where huge jumps can take my breath away. They could be tied but, Kaetlyn being higher than Alaine doesn't seem right.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I like Alaine's lightness in her skating but appreciate so much more Kaetlyn's sophisticated style, her moves exhibiting confident maturity yet so charming and captivating. She interacted with the audience amidst all the difficult elements and steps. Her performance and interpretation are on a different level deserving much higher PCS though it's obviously not up to me to decided how much more she should be awarded.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Now that I have seen the videos I slightly prefer Alaine over Kaetlyn. Artistically Kaetlyn was superior, gliding like a feather on the ice but, I am more to the technical side where huge jumps can take my breath away. They could be tied but, Kaetlyn being higher than Alaine doesn't seem right.

Alaine did receive higher TES where her technical achievements are rewarded. Gliding and artistry are PCS categories and Kaetlyn deserved the higher marks.

Alaine did receive higher TES where her technical achievements are rewarded. Gliding and artistry are PCS categories and Kaetlyn deserved the higher marks.

I know, I'm a Kaetlyn fan indeed and loved her skate. But, you never like it when there is a huge gap between one's TES and PCS. It didn't seem right for Yuzuru in SC and doesn't for Alaine here. Just personal opinion or you can say taste, which can be right or wrong.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm nervous for Kaetlyn and Alaine tomorrow; the two of them had freeskate blunders in both their GPs and are likely looking for some serious redemption. I'm crossing my fingers that they both stay on their feet and skate great, and may the best woman win. :)

I'm nervous for Kaetlyn and Alaine tomorrow; the two of them had freeskate blunders in both their GPs and are likely looking for some serious redemption. I'm crossing my fingers that they both stay on their feet and skate great, and may the best woman win. :)

Very true, hope for a great day for both girls :)

peg

Medalist
I can't be imagining this annoying bias towards Kaetlyn and Gabby. Kaetlyn I understand, Gabby I just don't get their obsession with.

Over the past two or three years, Gabby usually does better at nationals, but international judges seem to prefer Alaine. I think part of the bias goes back to the fact that Gabby established herself slightly earlier. In 2013, when Kaetlyn won her first Nationals, Gabby was second and Alaine third. The following year, Gabby was second again, but Alaine had a really rough FS and wound up fifth. So Gabby got the Olympic/Worlds spot and established herself as the consistent #2 behind Kaetlyn. So last year it was a fight for Alaine to get the recognition/scores she deserved nationally, even though she had caught up to Gabby.

rvi5

On the Ice
Also, what does Kaetlyn and Gabby already have in common which Alaine does not? If time is limited, TSN will broadcast the interviews they think the "general public" will be more impressed watching (not necessarily what a smaller niche of avid fans prefer).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sad to think one of these three ladies is not going to world's assuming Mallet or someone else can't make up that much ground. I would go with Osmond and Chartrand if I had my choice but there is the freeskate still The Canadians didn't look bad at all next to the Americans which I surprising or perhaps says something about how the Americans skated.

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
If you listen to Alaines interview posted online she does not really say much other than that fact that her short program has been comfortable for her this season and that she is taking out the triple Axel from the long.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Can't find the FS thread, so here will have to do.

YIPES!!!! Got my times wrong and just discovered that the Ladies FS started 20 minutes ago! (I thought it started an hour later than that!) :drama:

Here is the link for the Time Schedule:

http://skatecanada.ca/results/2016CDNS/2016CDNSSeniorWomenFreeTimeSheet.pdf

Here is the livestream on Daily Motion:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3...ian-tire-national-skating-championships_sport

And here is the embedded version on the Skate Canada website (well, we should all know by now how much bandwidth the ads on Daily Motion eat up!):

http://skatecanada.ca/event/2016-canadian-tire-national-skating-championships/#2b14b5f607ad6f77c

Hope this helps, and sorry for the late post.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Where can i see videos SP (on youtube maybe?) with my lovely Alaine and Kaetlyn? :scratch2:

The early groups that were shown on the Daily Motion livestream have been archived here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/skatecanada

For the rest, well, I haven't got as far as looking for them yet!

By the way, I have just quickly rustled up a thread for the Ladies Free Skate, and it can be found here:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?58249-2016-Canadian-Nationals-Senior-Women-FS

CaroLiza_fan