2018-2019 GP Assignments | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 GP Assignments

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Some thoughts:

Super annoyed that Kailani didn't get one. Algotsson, Austman, and Paganini all are lower on the SB list than Kailani (in Austman's case, she's SB 125 vs Kailani's 59, but oh wait, big country, righto...).

Am somewhat disappointed for Brendan, as I was hoping he could pick up two this time around. Especially since Rizzo (SB36) and Erokhov (SB37) both got two and are below him on the SB list (SB33 for Brendan). Though at least Erokhov is JWC.

Delighted that Katia and Harley got two - the machinations of the big countries couldn't keep them out this time!

Canada appears to be my super GP of the season (Brendan, Jason, and Katia/Harley). Pleased for Jason that he got Canada and France - France, the scene of his first GP medal!

Surprised to see Gracie at Rostelecom. May her comeback go better than the last big comeback I looked forward to.

And let's not forget: YAAAAAAAAAY JULIAN ON THE GP!

TGee

Record Breaker
Nguyen also got only 1 so is between both for the host pick IMO.
Skate Canada has a national summer series competitions that determines international assignments beyond the automatic ones, as well as access other supports for those who aren't national or NextGen team members.

Nic and Nam are registered for series events.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Bychenko's sticking around! Awesome!

Thrilled that Laurine got her two assignments, well spaced out for recovery time, and Mae-Berenice and Chafik have host picks. J/C the same assignments as last year, lol. And Brendan Kerry has one spot, very cool and also means he's more likely to pick up a second in case of withdrawals. P/C having both events late in the season works well for their Olympic recovery schedule, too.

Many thanks for Finland for taking on the floating event. :)

Old Cat Lady

On the Ice
Wow, ISU did almost everything they could to sell tickets in Finland! Both Olympic singles champions and the highest finishing active pair. Looks like the strongest grand prix event.

haha, looks like Japan got what they wanted out of the supposed deal but France didn't.

Bad luck for Kolyada and Jin - tough fields for both of them. Unless Kolyada and/or Jin bomb the grand prix, looks like a battle for that 6th GPF spot. I was hoping it would be Aliev but looking like Zhou to me. I could see Tomono playing spoiler but there's so little competitive history to look at and he didn't do that well in juniors. I can see Zhou, Aliev, Tomono all getting a 2nd and 3rd - not sure how tie breakers work.

hmmm, what's stronger - Hanyu's 1st grand prix curse or his Finland luck? If the new system is as good to Kolyada as I think and he skates well, he could put up a real challenge to an underperforming Hanyu. Not to mention the ever dangerous Jin.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
How is it that Nicole Rajicova gets 2 spots almost every year? She’s never been top 10 at Worlds. Has she been top 12?

Sad that there isn’t a Medvedeva/Zagitova matchup but that was to be expected.

Roast Toast

Medalist
Am I blind or is there literally no head to head between world medalists in Ice Dance this season? The field looks sooo empty especially compared to the ladies...

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Am I blind or is there literally no head to head between world medalists in Ice Dance this season? The field looks sooo empty especially compared to the ladies...
Well, there’s never a head to head among the reigning World Medalists in the GP, in any discipline. But yeah, the ice dance field is... not deep. V/M retired, Shibs are out, Weaver/Poje are out, Luca and Anna are out.

I’m curious to see how Carreira/Ponomarenko compared to the other US teams, especially McNamara/Carpenter who they’re competing against.

Old Cat Lady

On the Ice
When people have the same points from the same medals, they go by the highest number of points earned in each of their two events.

ah. Thanks. In that case, I think it'll be 1. Hanyu 2. Uno 3. Chen (all winning both events) then 4. Kolyada 5. Jin 6. Zhou 1st alternate: Aliev

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Why are people so sure that Zhou is going to be in the final? He is not a well rounded skater & he's been a hot mess plenty of times. I certainly hope the final is not as predictable as some of you think. Time for some new blood.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I also remembered, people were speculating about Bobrova and Soloviev continuing based on some social media posts, but they don't seem to be here.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
GP assignments

Since Gracie used the comeback rule, does that mean she applied to get back to the Grand Prix series? Or did the ISU just give it to her?

moriel

Record Breaker
Why are people so sure that Zhou is going to be in the final? He is not a well rounded skater & he's been a hot mess plenty of times. I certainly hope the final is not as predictable as some of you think. Time for some new blood.

Also, he got major UR issues and we are yet to see how he will cope with the new scoring system.

Old Cat Lady

On the Ice

:confused: Did anyone other than me make guesses for the men's finalists? In short, I'm not sure - I think it's between several skaters but am just guessing Zhou because the tiebreaker is highest score and I think Zhou is more likely to finish either 2nd/2nd or 2nd/3rd in his particular events than the other people I think it could be.

Also, Zhou is 17 and has never been to a GPF. Pretty sure that counts as "new blood".

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

USFSA did a fantastic job in positioning both Nathan and Vincent for the finals.
He's overscored, and his URs are skipped over. He'll get there.