2018 Four Continents Pairs FS | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Pairs FS

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pretty sure the coach just asked if she hit her head and she indicated yes, but no-one seems actually concerned...?

Yes!! I saw/heard that and was like... did she really say yes? Because everyone just nodded and went on with life. She better not have actually hit her head.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think this is Sydney's first year in pairs. She took a few years off skating and went to University (graduated). Maxime used to skate with Vanessa Grenier.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh good to see some Japanese pairs here! I wonder why they're not as successful as the mens and ladies, not enough funding?

Unrelated: Do those banners stay hanging up there from yesterday, because they're all for men's skaters it would seem!

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yeahhhhh, maybe a trip over to the first aid station is warranted, like, right this second?

Hopefully they asked "You DIDN'T hit your head, right?" and we just couldn't hear it properly! Because concussions are totally serious.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Miura-Ichihashi: Imperfect obviously. Lots and lots of technical issues need to be addressed and the expressiveness isn't there yet - but there were nice moments of refinement that make me see potential (I thought the joint spread eagle was lovely). I'd imagine having that type of age gap (16 vs 20) would bring issues of maturity differences.

And yes some of those lifts were scary!

rain

Record Breaker
They do not look happy to be on the ice. The lift after the double axel was TERRIFYING. It was mechanical.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Riku MIRA/Shoya ICHIHASHI (JPN)
Warsaw Concerto
her in red dress with dark edging, him in black shirt/pants

2Tw
SBS 3T, he turned out, she did 3T< fall
upsy, a little cautious
Th3Lo
SBS FCCoSp
BIDs
upsy
ChSq
SBS 2A
upsy, bit of a struggle to get it up
Th3S, step out
CoSp

Not bad!

beki

Medalist
I'm just glad to see Japanese pairs out there. They're at the beginning of the journey. Which Japanese singles skater would be the best pair girl, do you think? Maybe Yuna Shiraiwa?

rain

Record Breaker
All the pairs need to take lessons from the ice dancers on how to do a combo spin.

rain

Record Breaker
Come on Luba and Dylan — I want to see just one great performance of this FD! (My hopes aren't high, but I can still dream, right?)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh good to see some Japanese pairs here! I wonder why they're not as successful as the mens and ladies, not enough funding?

Unrelated: Do those banners stay hanging up there from yesterday, because they're all for men's skaters it would seem!

Someone else can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe it’s a cultural thing: the Japanese fed prefers to funnel their money into singles skating, because pairs and dance are seen as endeavours for “weaker” skaters.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Dylan's more srs bsns tonight I see! Liubov doesn't seem to be wearing the bandaid on her chin so that's good news!

And the second dance team from Japan, good luck guys!

beki

Medalist
Ambitious layout for Suzaki/Kihara. Fingers crossed!

I pay for a VPN, so I'm watching CBC. In an Olympic year it's worth it! I'll be able to watch BBC too.