2019 World Championships Rhythm Dance | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2019 World Championships Rhythm Dance

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I prefer a more fiery and passionate tango, myself. A lot of the sets tonight are very nice but nothing got to me as much as, say, V/M's tango romantica from Vancouver (?)

If you go to Vancouver TR, it is mandatory to mention the golden standard of TR: the dance of Domnina/Shabalin. Sorry for the OT. Lots if amazing dances today but still far from D/S. Just IMO

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
People talking about Paul growing his tache always makes me smile. It's not exactly a big deal for a bloke, especially not for one with stronger hair growth. I bet he is one of them guys who shaves in the morning and has a proper 5 o'clock shadow at 4pm. :cool14:

Most days I barely bother with makeup so it always seems like a big commitment to me! :laugh:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Okay finally actually watched my Disco duo. Performance wise that was the best RD ever for them, tech wise not so much.

Very much loved Lewis’s “THIS TWIZZLE WILL NOT DIE” face in slow mo.

As he said 68+ is very good considering.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Most days I barely bother with makeup so it always seems like a big commitment to me! :laugh:

Same!

My Dad is also the typical five o’clock shadow kinda guy so I get how Paul can have such an impressive tash in so little time.

When will an Ice Dancer go full beard?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
A special dress for a special lady!

Well that narrows it down considerably! ;)

Alas, if I were to walk into a fabric store and say, "I need fabric to make a special dress for a special lady" I might be there all day looking at swatches!

sunn1ly

On the Ice
Ok who the cheese created this scoring system where you had a lower level element but thanks to the Geo that the judges so eagerly give you receive higher score than most difficult original and better executed elements. Ice dance will be joke until they stop giving 5 Geo for everything or don't lower the base values more. Example why Katsalapov with level 3 on the twizzles has better scores for twizzles compared to everyone else with exception of maybe P/C and G/F?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
EH P/C were overscored here. They deserved to be in the lead but not so high, Other teams did a much better job portraying the theme.

I understand how you feel but it is Tango Romantica and not Tango Passionata. But yes, I prefer my tangos with a little uhm spiciness and tension.

It might surprise people to hear my favorite TR of the night was S/K's.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Ok who the cheese created this scoring system where you had a lower level element but thanks to the Geo that the judges so eagerly give you receive higher score than most difficult original and better executed elements. Ice dance will be joke until they stop giving 5 Geo for everything or don't lower the base values more. Example why Katsalapov with level 3 on the twizzles has better scores for twizzles compared to everyone else with exception of maybe P/C and G/F?

Welcome to the world of GOE-land.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Well that narrows it down considerably! ;)

Alas, if I were to walk into a fabric store and say, "I need fabric to make a special dress for a special lady" I might be there all day looking at swatches!

Just in the context of course! In real life, I'm not particulary fond of dresses (haven't worn one since I was 10!) or anything too girly for that matter. Only flattering my Piper :laugh:

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I intended to stay awake for this but, alas, I think I left all my all-nighter abilities behind after graduation :noshake:.

Really good competition - I think most of the top teams had their strongest performances of the season which is great. On the whole I think the order is ok, but I must admit that I don't think that P/C were 5 points better than S/K. I just don't see it, sorry! (And usually I'm not a huge fan of S/K)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I rewatched PC and I certainly agree they are a quality team and really smooth. I am not sure though they have great range to interpret music. I give her full credit for improving her skills to try to match his but whereas other skating teams can show more versatility there is a certain sameness to their skating. Now I guess to be fair you are judging the performance so that means arguably the freedance could be the same for years and you get better and better - smoother. But anyways I do think they should be first but not by so much. Getting so close to perfection seems to be a bit much even if they are the best of the current lot. But we are not in an age when you have an usova and zhulin against a klimova and ponomorenko or back when Krylove and Oksiankov were battle the French team in the day - those were spectacular teams.

The freedance will be a blood bath. Its like you have the exciting avant team currently at the bottom of the contenders in 8th; you have the Italians who just seem to always be there in the thick of things, you have the seasoned team trying to gain respect in WEapo, you have the two brash and exciting Americans fighting to get on the podium and the revived dynamic, explosive but vulnerable two Russian teams all fighitng for the silver and bronze. They are so close together that Canada which you would think be safe for three teams could find themselves on the short end of the stick. Interesting to note if you line up the Americans versus the Canadians and this could be key when it comes for the Canadians earning three spot the Americans beat the Canadians in every single line up of top Us vs. Top Canadian anddown the line.

dcnative

On the Ice
Well deserved scores! I think it has to be very hard to be on top for a long time, to deal with all those expectations from others and themselves but keep progressing and delivering, just wow I love them!

I was very impressed with the hunger they showed in warmups (the snippets that I've seen on IG) and really appreciate that they aren't taking the Ice Dance pre-placement judging for granted. I hope they continue to challenge themselves and push Ice Dance forward based on their technique and talent.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
just caught up with rd!

the last 2 groups were insanely amazing, the level is sky high :yahoo: all my favourites delivered what a great competition.

there's just one thing left to say...my sexual orientation is stepanova/bukin...now i better take a very cold shower :laugh::scard7:

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON
France
Music: Tango: "Oblivion" by Astor Piazzolla performed by Gideon Kremer; "Primavera Porteno" by Astor Piazzolla performed by Gideon Kremer
Choreography by: Marie-France Dubreuil, Christopher Dean, Stephane Lambiel

Chris Dean did their Tango choreo alone. Stephane Lambiel choreo'd their FD. I don't know where MFD comes in other than being their Coach? Infact I was punching the air that none of the top 3 Tangos was choreo'd by MFD!

:hap57:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
An unpopular opinion, but feeling a little too underwhelmed over scoring comparing level of performances. But Ice Dance being Ice Dance, what else is new? Seeing some TR patterns of top 10 teams I have a feeling that some of these lvl4s were awarded too generously. I was definitely happy to see some of my favourite RD programs improved a lot in terms of performances/impact created (trying to muster as much enthusiasm as I can, but it is never easy for me about ID and specifics of this discipline...).

Nikita and Victoria, saying with popular phrase, OUTSOLD today, for me easily the best performance in every factor, maybe aside of TR pattern execution flair/character where I preferred WeaPo better. They truly mastered the balance between that dramatic, fiery expression and fluidity in transitioning elements, movement - I liked this RD program since seeing it live at Nepela, considering it as matching vehicle working on their strengths, but now it was performed with such sharpness, detail, that rich heaviness that is needed with more 'dramatic' take on aesthetic, yet not overacted. And it really looks like they worked hard on making everything in synch: execution, technical finesse, expressiveness, that clean, sharp movement finish, adding very nicely done AT references in transitions. I like when Tango aesthetic and style is done with appreciation, but adding character/identity of people doing it and for me they've done it so confidently, maybe a bit too 'fiery' and passionate for 'Tango Romantica' particular image, but honestly I would rather take that over any 'Tango Lyrical Neurotica'. I think Zhulin & Durnev were really smart making this RD relatively 'streamlined' and with traditional/classical Tango outlook, yet give that space to interpret it in more 'spicy'/dramatic way to amp the content and visual created. It worked like a magic today and hit me straight in the core, to my surprise (but more such tasty, beautiful surprises!).

The second best I loved as a performance complexity and maturity was Guignard/Fabbri - give me them doing Tango anytime! Their chemistry, consciousness over every step with confidence, partnerings, interpretation of music were a delight today. Similarly to WeaPo, their experience and maturity gave this RD performance that sensual suspense and nuance over it that it elusive for many younger teams, like making each look, gesture, step, partnering linger a bit longer, sustained in the music. Also, bless Barbara for playing on their strengths, great technique, performers' capability, connection, that sublime musicality being not 'in-your-face', but having more of sophisticated notion in their movement. Their twizzles were on top shelf today with Sinitsina/Katsalapov for me in terms of impact, making that centrepiece in performance; also their lift, frame Marco created for Charlene to shine, deliberateness and celebrating every little moment & look, making it more 'private' experience and truly 'romantic' in its visual sense - all these things making up into such splendid, fully rounded spectacle. Personally, from standings/points standpoint, I would have them in final group instead of Hubbell/Donohue who were tense and not that effective in interpretation/performance today overall (but what I know?).

On top shelf are also WeaPo whose Tango Romantica is a very special experience I'd say, almost like breaching into something too intimate, private and created not for our eyes. It is such simplistic concept that yet illuminates arena in one of a kind manner, giving that 'glamorous' sheer over performance (like Kaitlyn's gorgeous dress), elegant definition about every move. I really love the build this RD has - as G/F & S/K programs for me have more evenly distributed tension/sensuality/dramatic edge over them, WeaPo dance blossoms like a flower: there is approach, first touch, first steps, connecting into that Tango aesthetic, then escalating the vibe, getting more & more into the feelings, making them more exposed and escalated out. I love how the quality is stressed there over connecting steps and figures into strong, impactful emotion radiating from both of them, that united sensual energy that hits you on sight I feel which really makes a difference seeing one solid performance after another from visually point of view. They really crafted that dance into private experience, but elevated and put on display to relive by audience; it is such rarity to have both intimacy and that elegant polish, welcoming outlook over performance in one place.

I also definitely fell more in love with Laurence and Nikolai, such sophisticated, elegant yet passionate team! And this program is like manifestation of that image: beautifully composed, with some kind of harmony trait to it, but having that fierceness underneath. One of the best patterns, they have such sleek technique, glide across the ice with strong emphasis on accentuation and movement finish at the same time (Laurence's arm/neck/head lines are GORGEOUS in that program!). I like that vibe of balancing feminine and masculine energy inside that dance - I find them both pretty individual and standalone in posture/presence on ice, emanating that attitude (even when standing static to be honest) and I love that Gadbois played on that strength, making such strong/powerful piece, yet effortlessly captivating Tango aesthetic and their chemistry inside of it. I can't wait for next season to see them making that energy work in different repertoire!

I have to say I am not the biggest fan of Stepanova/Bukin's RD, but god for them to push their own individual stamp out there in terms of material and how they work it. I was a bit meh (again) about that pattern outlook, unevenness in height/lack of proper lines and extensions there and there (also some of partnerings) and this whole weird Tango concept pledged, but looks like I am in minority (besides, it is just my opinion so whatever at this point) - I just find them and way they presenting stuff often over-embellished and too loud/aggravated in expression, but I understand the appeal of that, especially them being young, vivaciously attractive, with attitude as performers, just not my vein of preference.

It is hard to admit, but I found Madison and Evan not as sharp and effective as at US Nats/4CC today...It is a great vehicle for them and Madison work the HECK of it, but somehow it looked a tad too sloppy at places, too tense in some of partnerings for me. Still, I am in love with that kind of 'hot'n'cold' way of interpretation, laced with some drama, but with dose of elegance and glamour.

Hubbell/Donohue and Hawayek/Baker have least effective Tango vehicles from Gadbois group for me - former just too dated/stale on interpretation program, with little nuance & lots of in-your-face posing/gesturing making it figurative and artificial for me in reception (they may have glide and skill, but it somehow gets lost in that type of dance with beaten up concept line), later just have too 'soft' choreography, with that mellow-soapy lyricism prevailing over Tango spirit (I get this is Romantica kind of Tango, but it has to have that sharpness, rhythmical accentuation to it with slightly romance-y/seductive feel to it I think, just more structure and layers introduced instead of plainness and hermetic approach done in tried already schemes). As for Hawayek/Baker, I strongly wish to give them more identity as performers, something for next RD that will make them stand out on their own, not having that notion of 3rd US team from Gadbois with pretty programs & nice technique.

Finally Piper and Paul - probably all of you already know that this is my favourite team, for a lot of reasons, so this may be biased or waxing too much poetic over it;). I certainly do not claim they were best out there in terms of score etc., just for me they had the best originality of concept versus performance effectiveness ratio out there that made them truly stand out in that top 10. Introduction of these little nuances in transitional movement (opening sequence, change in partnering before step sequence, adding more little 'Tango detail' to arm/leg movements throughout the dance, refining more entrance to the lift) really amped sophistication and refinement levels of that dance and then performance in action. Out of all these 'traditional' Tangos I really liked (G/F, S/K, WeaPo or F-B/S), Piper & Paul took a bit different approach in constructing their dance in terms of energy exchange/partnering as they made it more like dynamic dialogue facing each other with their respective emotions instead of making it rather harmonious or dramatic/elegant/sensual in same vein from both partners, having that unison as performers - since I saw the dance first time I found this kind of take quite refreshing on its own, giving out that Argentine Tango atmosphere and aesthetic while still having subtle 'Romantica' vibe out there. To be honest, looking how the dance evolved to this point for the whole season, I loved more high-low twizzles with tempo change reflected in movement and yellow sunny dress, because of originality and specific nuance factor added to the whole image (or reflecting them more as a team, their identity), yet I appreciate how they managed to 'customize'/progress the program into something more 'streamlined' for judgement as a vehicle, still representing them as a team in terms of approach and originality; I love how this very season unleashed in them that kind of 'artistic compromise' ability: not willing to die on their primary concept idea, but willing to adjust it, treating this as an opportunity to grow & learn something new about themselves, develop along with that first concept, challenge themselves. I think of that 'final' product of all that progress & work as a successful and very effective attempt to embrace Tango as a form of communication/manifestation of feelings through movement and gesture, customizing and nuancing them in their own unique way, making that 'romance' feel more vibrant, colourful in its closeness.

reneerose

Final Flight
An unpopular opinion, but feeling a little too underwhelmed over scoring comparing level of performances. But Ice Dance being Ice Dance, what else is new? Seeing some TR patterns of top 10 teams I have a feeling that some of these lvl4s were awarded too generously. I was definitely happy to see some of my favourite RD programs improved a lot in terms of performances/impact created (trying to muster as much enthusiasm as I can, but it is never easy for me about ID and specifics of this discipline...).
.....Finally Piper and Paul - probably all of you already know that this is my favourite team, for a lot of reasons, so this may be biased or waxing too much poetic over it;). I certainly do not claim they were best out there in terms of score etc., just for me they had the best originality of concept versus performance effectiveness ratio out there that made them truly stand out in that top 10. Introduction of these little nuances in transitional movement (opening sequence, change in partnering before step sequence, adding more little 'Tango detail' to arm/leg movements throughout the dance, refining more entrance to the lift) really amped sophistication and refinement levels of that dance and then performance in action. Out of all these 'traditional' Tangos I really liked (G/F, S/K, WeaPo or F-B/S), Piper & Paul took a bit different approach in constructing their dance in terms of energy exchange/partnering as they made it more like dynamic dialogue facing each other with their respective emotions instead of making it rather harmonious or dramatic/elegant/sensual in same vein from both partners, having that unison as performers - since I saw the dance first time I found this kind of take quite refreshing on its own, giving out that Argentine Tango atmosphere and aesthetic while still having subtle 'Romantica' vibe out there. To be honest, looking how the dance evolved to this point for the whole season, I loved more high-low twizzles with tempo change reflected in movement and yellow sunny dress, because of originality and specific nuance factor added to the whole image (or reflecting them more as a team, their identity), yet I appreciate how they managed to 'customize'/progress the program into something more 'streamlined' for judgement as a vehicle, still representing them as a team in terms of approach and originality; I love how this very season unleashed in them that kind of 'artistic compromise' ability: not willing to die on their primary concept idea, but willing to adjust it, treating this as an opportunity to grow & learn something new about themselves, develop along with that first concept, challenge themselves. I think of that 'final' product of all that progress & work as a successful and very effective attempt to embrace Tango as a form of communication/manifestation of feelings through movement and gesture, customizing and nuancing them in their own unique way, making that 'romance' feel more vibrant, colourful in its closeness.
NoName you are super eloquent in your post-skate summary posts, think you've described Piper and Paul perfectly! Though I do like the latest dress better than the original yellow, which is a bit too blaring for my tastes :)

Last edited:

Escarbille

On the Ice
Country
France
Thanks NoNameFace for your comments always interesting and pleasant to read. You have commented all the top 10 ... Maybe you can share with us your analysis and felt about the delivery of PC?