2023-24 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
On the podcast, Courtney mentions that she was last coached by Victor Pfeiffer. And that Victor suggested she work with Josh. Of course, Courtney and Josh know each other, having competed during the same time early in their careers. Josh is interviewed too! It's so nice hearing from him.👍

Courtney mentions getting her music and choreo ideas in collaboration with 'Jordan.' If I heard accurately, I believe she's referencing Jordan Moeller.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, currently #6 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Adding 'comebacks' to the OP is always a pleasure. :)
Good luck to Courtney! She must be in a great condition to return to competitive skating at her age. I wonder, is it realistic to hope she can qualify for Nationals if she's returning now?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I apologize, because this is off topic, but since we are talking about Courtney here:

Her SP was choreographed by Jordan Moeller and her FS by current US skater (who self choreographs) Sonja Hilmer! Both unique skaters in their own right. So Courtney will be competing for a Nats spot with Sonja using a program choreographed by Sonja. I don't know if they are in the same region for qualifiers.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sorry to go on about Courtney in this thread, but I was fascinated by her interest in astro-photography (photographing stars and the night sky). She mentioned learning this hobby from Brian Johnson and Philip Warren on an outing to Garden of the Gods. 😎 It's nice learning about skaters' off-ice pursuits.

ETA:
I notice on her Instagram that Courtney announced last year that she was stepping back after dealing with injuries and disappointments, but she had left open the possibility of returning this season. Once away for awhile, she found that she missed competing.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On the podcast, Courtney mentions that she was last coached by Victor Pfeiffer. And that Victor suggested she work with Josh. Of course, Courtney and Josh know each other, having competed during the same time early in their careers. Josh is interviewed too! It's so nice hearing from him.👍

Courtney mentions getting her music and choreo ideas in collaboration with 'Jordan.' If I heard accurately, I believe she's referencing Jordan Moeller.
Yay for comebacks! I love comebacks!

gleungc6

On the Ice
I apologize, because this is off topic, but since we are talking about Courtney here:

Her SP was choreographed by Jordan Moeller and her FS by current US skater (who self choreographs) Sonja Hilmer! Both unique skaters in their own right. So Courtney will be competing for a Nats spot with Sonja using a program choreographed by Sonja. I don't know if they are in the same region for qualifiers.
I believe both train in Colorado together

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

I guess that's a win win for Sonja. Either she beats her and takes the win as a skater, or loses and takes the win as a choreographer!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The skaters themselves probably don't think about this in the way fans do. Sonja and Courtney have likely been friends for years and wish each other the best in pursuing the joy and artistic aspects of the sport. In the end, the journey, the process, the memories, the challenges, the friendships, and the unforgettable moments, are much more meaningful than shiny medals and results stats.

In any case, both women competitors will be battling for their own personal goals and satisfactions, rather than expecting to contend for the podium. Possibly, Sonja has an outside chance for top 6 to 8. She finished 10th overall at 2023 U.S. Nats (13 in sp; 8 in fp). Courtney has loads of skill and talent, but she has lacked consistency. I believe her best finish was 4th, early in her senior career.

Last edited:

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Alisa Ovsiankina (ice dancing, Russia 🇷🇺) was paired with Maximilien Rahier (France 🇫🇷).

At the same time it is news about the change of country.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS · EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Link to news about Ovsyankina/Rahier (would he be related to Corentin Rahier?)

Yep. According to Corentin's Wikipedia page, Maximilien is his wee brother. Maximilien is about 5 ½ years younger than Corentin.

There is another brother and sister as well, but as far as I can tell they are not competitive skaters.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
The new pair will make their debut in Courchevel. They represent France, Lyon International Academy of figure skating.
According to my sources (from one incredible ice dancing fan), the new pair is coached by Olivier Schoenfelder.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Panetta/Thrasher made a nice pair, but they struggled technically last season. I think Kieran had showed a lot of improvement as a former hockey player new to pairs skating. But Chloe was not consistent in making steady progress. Despite her strong foundational abilities, her confidence seemed to waver in competitive situations. The aging out of juniors factor for Chloe appears to be the main issue for them, if indeed they have split.

ETA:
Oh, I see on the CQE updated list that Kieran Thrasher is apparently now paired with Jazmine Desrochers. If Chloe wants to continue, I hope she can find a partner.

I wasn't familiar with Jazmine Desrochers. I looked at a daily motion video of Jazmine with her former partner, Aidan Wright. They had very basic skills, so they placed last in SC juniors at Nationals. Jazmine has lovely movement qualities and she's also very pretty, with long dark hair. She did not appear to be a very good jumper. But I think Kieran is much taller and stronger than Aidan. So, Jazmine may be able to improve on her jumping and other pairs elements with Kieran.
And here I am thinking that Ashlyn Schmitz/Kieran Thrasher would be a good pairing. Ashlyn is also a very pretty skater who is likely through with puberty and needs a taller partner. She is 2 years younger than Kieran, so they age out of juniors at the same time. She has a triple jump, a 2A, and triple throw experience.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Martina Ariano Kent and Charly Laliberté-Laurent are a new pair team from Canada. She was with Alexis Leduc before and he was with Alexane Jean, with whom he won Novice Nationals last year.. They skated brilliantly at next gen competition this weekend. For those of you interested in new partnerships, there were quite a lot this weekend seen at both the Skating Ontario sectionals and Next gen competition... in both pairs and dance.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
And here I am thinking that Ashlyn Schmitz/Kieran Thrasher would be a good pairing. Ashlyn is also a very pretty skater who is likely through with puberty and needs a taller partner. She is 2 years younger than Kieran, so they age out of juniors at the same time. She has a triple jump, a 2A, and triple throw experience.
Kieran and Jazmine skated this weekend. They look very good together.

FS_addict

Spectator
The new pair will make their debut in Courchevel. They represent France, Lyon International Academy of figure skating.
Are you sure they will represent France? Alisa is Russian, Max is Swiss and there are so many talented young ice dance teams in France. I would rather think that they will represent Switzerland

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Are you sure they will represent France? Alisa is Russian, Max is Swiss and there are so many talented young ice dance teams in France. I would rather think that they will represent Switzerland
Considering they tagged the French fed, the event they were at was the JGP selection event for the French team and his IG bio lists him as a French ice dancer, I'd wager it's a pretty good guess.

Plus Maximilien only skated for Switzerland because his partner at the time was Swiss, he himself is born in France.