2023-24 Russian Challenge | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Challenge

Cherub721

On the Ice
For me that's too many men... it's a good discipline but not the strongest in Russia. I wish Plushenko would participate.

I'm actually very happy with this ladies' lineup. Nothing against Tutberidze's skaters (Zagitova and Trusova are my favorite) but this is a nice list... Sinitsina and Frolova are the most artistic of the current ladies and Konstantinova is someone I am excited to see... she must have had a really great proposal. I'm not always crazy about Liza's exhibition, but her tango last year was excellent and with the Russian cultural theme she can't take the raunchy way out this time, so it should be good.

The dance list is as expected, but I am surprised they would let a brand new team in. Kaganovskaya went viral last season with Angelopol and Gagnam Style, but still, I would not have expected that, but they too must have had a strong proposal. Too bad Mironova/Ustenko are not on the alternate list. I could live without Khuda/Bazin and Shanaeva/Drozd but not surprised they made it.

So few pairs... that's unfortunate if B/K declined to apply. But no Totmianina/Marinin or Volosozhar/Trankov? It's a shame. It must have been their choice since they are OGM, but that's disappointing as they were the highlights last year. And there's plenty of good young teams I would rather see over some of the men. Happy to see Tarasova/Morozov though especially if there's a Tutberidze show around that time.

niks

On the Ice
I've just realized that Matvey is not on the list :confused: I'm surprised, he was by far one of the top highlights last year and certainly one of the skaters with more "exhibition power" lets say (as in creating out-of-the-box programs).

Does anybody know what happened? Didn't he want to participate?

Mathematician

الله قوي إلى الأبد وأنا عبده
Record Breaker
Frolova... the most artistic of the current ladies
There is not a single standard metric you can site by which she is more artistic than Petrosian. Not extension, timing, choreographic sophistication, musicality, cohesion... not one thing. Frolova's Там Нет Меня pales even to junior Trofimova's skate to the same music.

People need to stop bestowing the compensating title of artist on any Russian girl who doesnt jump ultra-c, equalization for its own sake... Why do people so widely hold an aversion to respecting who is already on top for good reason?

Cherub721

On the Ice
There is not a single standard metric you can site by which she is more artistic than Petrosian. Not extension, timing, choreographic sophistication, musicality, cohesion... not one thing. Frolova's Там Нет Меня pales even to junior Trofimova's skate to the same music.

People need to stop bestowing the compensating title of artist on any Russian girl who doesnt jump ultra-c, equalization for its own sake... Why do people so widely hold an aversion to respecting who is already on top for good reason?
It's not just Frolova's SP, I think she creates interesting shapes in her tango LP and I like that angular style... but we are all entitled to our preferences. I am sure Petrosian as National ladies champion would have been invited if she applied, even if she's not an Olympic champion. I'm sure it's her choice or her coach's choice not to take part.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I've just realized that Matvey is not on the list :confused: I'm surprised, he was by far one of the top highlights last year and certainly one of the skaters with more "exhibition power" lets say (as in creating out-of-the-box programs).

Does anybody know what happened? Didn't he want to participate?
Nobody knows. Maybe the disaster at Spartakiad affected him. He even suspended his Instagram account after Channel One Cup. :(

alix15

On the Ice
Country
France
It’s a pity this competition is not taken seriously.
I find the concept very interesting and entertaining and it could enhance the artistic and creativity of the skaters. I think they’re missing something.
It’s just a different kind of competition and I’m glad because it will bring something new (btw, i find it very cool that former skaters can take part).

Of course i understand it’s not the priority of skaters and maybe they are tired (especially one week after channel one cup) but it’s a shame they don’t open themselves to other kind of competition, especially since i think it could bring them fresh air and a break in their season.

I don’t think there’s something relevant in the fact that none of the skaters are in team tut, i just guess she is not interested in the competition.

However, I’m super happy to see mura again !

Amei

Record Breaker
I wonder what's going on with Eteri skaters not taking part.

There's definitely something going on.
Eh, I addressed some of this a bit earlier - for their 2 athletes that would have guaranteed spots if they entered, both confirmed legitimate reasons why they weren't participating:
Zagitova has Navka shows this weekend.
Shcherbakova has an ankle injury. Shcherbakova's reason is not really debatable, she's been seen with her ankle taped and has WD from multiple events as a result. Zagitova's maybe more debatable, I've seen some snark that she didn't want to do it because she didn't win anything last year. But then again even if that is legitimately the reason - my question would be: do the participants get any kind of appearance fee just for attending? if not then I understand why someone would go for a guaranteed income of the Navka show over a competition where income is dependent on placing well in an event that is 100% subjective to the tastes of the judges.

I do think its also an issue of Eteri maybe needing to push her shows that start at the end of March, she probably wants new programs for that vs. debuting them at this event then skaters repeating the program at those show circuits, especially considering this event is streamed.

Mathematician

الله قوي إلى الأبد وأنا عبده
Record Breaker
I wonder what's going on with Eteri skaters not taking part.

There's definitely something going on.
Obviously just wants to save the programs for her own show.

Uhhhh... seriously? :eek:
Very easily. Almost everyone agrees. There is no world in which Frolova has more dance talent than Trofimova. Frolova doesnt do anything special, she has good musicality but she doesnt have the choreo sophistication or refinement to show it. Shes a typical artistic skater. Trofimova has actually incredible dance talent in that she couldve easily become a dancer over a skater. Trofimova in no way is a better skater than Frolova but with artistic presence on the ice there isnt a comparison, Frolova doesnt have much fluidity or complexity to her movement, she just has great musicality/cohesion, which is good by all means but not beyond standard at her level.

Regardless neither are close to Sinitsyna or Petrosian. That is not an opinion its unbiased analysis.

I think she creates interesting shapes in her tango LP and I like that angular style...
So shes your favourite because she fits your style. I dont have a problem with that. But she just observably doesnt have the refinement, choreo or mobility of Petrosian (and Sinitsyna).

I personally dont see where she even hits Muravieva's level but I wont argue that.

In raw artistry I dont see her as better than a lot of girls we know just she has much more stable skating.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Petrosyan is really great in MJ's program, imo, but her lyrical skates are just not landing for me. Frolova had been selling aristocratic old soul with a lot of grace. Sinitsina is more versatile, while Murav'yeva is more dramatically gifted. I'd be happy to see exhibition programs they all chose to do themselves, and Trusova too. But I am happy with just Frolova-Sinitsina-Murav'yeva line up.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I didn't want to tune in but can't help myself.
The way the term artistry (which like I've said a million times seems totally useless in (current) figure skating because 1 it isn't once mentioned in the judging rules, 2 it's a totally subjective term which would require at least a personal definition first) gets wildly thrown around drives me crazy.

Azikin

Medalist
Yees, trofimova’s interpretation is INCREDIBLE.
You should watch it if you haven’t yet.
I watched it, of course. My opinion still stands. Trofimova's mediocre choreographed program, which is typical for AoP, doesn't help.