2023 U.S. Junior Team Cup | Jul 6-7 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023 U.S. Junior Team Cup | Jul 6-7

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thank you so much for ALL your videos! Much appreciated! Having watched the women now, there were many nice performances, especially for being early in the season. Elyce probably skated the best free I've seen her do! Annika and Teryn were wonderful. And Soho and Josephine looked better than I thought having just read the protocol before. I enjoyed Logan and Cleo too. Best of luck to them all for a strong season!

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I just finished watching. I think the top 6 should be sent to Junior GP Circuit.

I was so disappointed with Sherry Zhang. She was the girl with the “it” factor last year. I still like her artistry. But, her jumps 😕
Also, I liked the height of Katie’s triples.

The two Lee’s in 5th and 6th place were meh. These girls were so disappointing at Junior Worlds. But, they have the international experience and did enough to get selected.

Mia; I have to say, I’m impressed she is going for two different quads. She is ambitious. Outside of Russia, she is the only girl attempting two quads in the free skate. The 4T was close. The 4S was cringe. Also, to me, she should have placed 4th behind Sarah. Her jumps are under rotated and she doesn’t maximize her scoring potential. No triple triple and no second triple. She can go for another 3Lz instead or add two triple triple combos in the second half. Also, her artistry and skating skills are lacking.

Annika - You can tell this was a fluke event for her. Good for her to come in 2nd.

Elyce was terrific and the star of the event. Best landing of triples and best artistry. If she skates like this, she could challenge for a bronze medal in a JP event. However, she skated phenomenally last year at Sectionals and crumbled at Nationals. To me, though, she did wow me at bit, at this event.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At some point the Russian skaters will be back. And this group would have difficulty competing with the younger age Russian novice group. Mia has a way to go, but she CAN land those jumps, and that is hope for US futures for when the Russian girls do return. Looking at the long game, it is good to see her attempt those jumps. Mia has a great shot at making the Olympic team if she can get the right training, coaching etc.
Please lets not make her into the next great white hope. No more Gracies. :pray::pray::pray:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Kirk makes a Junior GP. He got a GP last year finishing in 9th. But he finished in 12th this year, so I don't know. I completely fail to understand the selection process for the Junior GP. Surely this competition in very early July isn't the sum total of it.

Steinbeck

Rinkside
I just finished watching. I think the top 6 should be sent to Junior GP Circuit.

I was so disappointed with Sherry Zhang. She was the girl with the “it” factor last year. I still like her artistry. But, her jumps 😕
Also, I liked the height of Katie’s triples.

The two Lee’s in 5th and 6th place were meh. These girls were so disappointing at Junior Worlds. But, they have the international experience and did enough to get selected.

Mia; I have to say, I’m impressed she is going for two different quads. She is ambitious. Outside of Russia, she is the only girl attempting two quads in the free skate. The 4T was close. The 4S was cringe. Also, to me, she should have placed 4th behind Sarah. Her jumps are under rotated and she doesn’t maximize her scoring potential. No triple triple and no second triple. She can go for another 3Lz instead or add two triple triple combos in the second half. Also, her artistry and skating skills are lacking.

Annika - You can tell this was a fluke event for her. Good for her to come in 2nd.

Elyce was terrific and the star of the event. Best landing of triples and best artistry. If she skates like this, she could challenge for a bronze medal in a JP event. However, she skated phenomenally last year at Sectionals and crumbled at Nationals. To me, though, she did wow me at bit, at this event.
It’s worth noting that Mia landed 4T clean with GOEs at Broadmoor a week ago and fell on 4Sq. She also landed 3A< in the short at Broadmoor.

All of her triples in this event were clean. She has 3 combos in the second half and the Lutz toe is a triple triple based on her previous 2 completions (looks like she may have doubled the toe out of caution).
All level 4 spins as well.

Japanese skaters are pushing ahead with quads and 3As.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It’s worth noting that Mia landed 4T clean with GOEs at Broadmoor a week ago and fell on 4Sq. She also landed 3A< in the short at Broadmoor.

All of her triples in this event were clean. She has 3 combos in the second half and the Lutz toe is a triple triple based on her previous 2 completions (looks like she may have doubled the toe out of caution).
All level 4 spins as well.

Japanese skaters are pushing ahead with quads and 3As.
Wow! Didn’t know this. Wow! Mia…. Adding a 3A and 4S to her repertoire.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
No doubt Mia Kalin is talented. But why why why would she or her team pick Carmen?? I am baffled at this choice. A skater needs charisma, maturity, and pizazz to use this music. I've seen younger girls skate to Carmen and even tho it isn't always the perfect choice, they can at least be cheeky and nuanced in the choreo, they can make eyes with the judges, engage with the audience, not look at the ground, etc. Choosing Carmen for Mia is just going to highlight her weakness: star power and artistry. Who coaches her? I understand that Skating Skills are often given based on quads, but why won't they spend time on other things? It's not as if Mia couldn't do it if her coach told her to practice her SS.

Steinbeck

Rinkside
Wow! Didn’t know this. Wow! Mia…. Adding a 3A and 4S to her repertoire.

No doubt Mia Kalin is talented. But why why why would she or her team pick Carmen?? I am baffled at this choice. A skater needs charisma, maturity, and pizazz to use this music. I've seen younger girls skate to Carmen and even tho it isn't always the perfect choice, they can at least be cheeky and nuanced in the choreo, they can make eyes with the judges, engage with the audience, not look at the ground, etc. Choosing Carmen for Mia is just going to highlight her weakness: star power and artistry. Who coaches her? I understand that Skating Skills are often given based on quads, but why won't they spend time on other things? It's not as if Mia couldn't do it if her coach told her to practice her SS.
The question about the music is interesting. Obviously none of us are mind readers but skaters and coaches choose music for a lot of reasons, sometimes because it is a perfect piece and sometimes because it isn't and is instead meant to push them to develop in aspects that are more difficult for them.

I think it is also important to separate quality of skating skills and quality of performance. Performance can still be weak even if skating skills on their own are very good, depending on a lot of other factors. Some of the other skaters showed weak jumps, pops, falls, ur's at worlds and in this competition, but should we assume they aren't working on jumps?

I'm not sure it is fair for anyone to say what a skater is or isn't working on, unless you happen to have first-hand knowledge of their training.

These young girls get criticized left and right by people who have no idea what their day to day is. They are juniors, for heaven's sake. They need time and experience and they should all be encouraged!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The question about the music is interesting. Obviously none of us are mind readers but skaters and coaches choose music for a lot of reasons, sometimes because it is a perfect piece and sometimes because it isn't and is instead meant to push them to develop in aspects that are more difficult for them.

I think it is also important to separate quality of skating skills and quality of performance. Performance can still be weak even if skating skills on their own are very good, depending on a lot of other factors. Some of the other skaters showed weak jumps, pops, falls, ur's at worlds and in this competition, but should we assume they aren't working on jumps?

I'm not sure it is fair for anyone to say what a skater is or isn't working on, unless you happen to have first-hand knowledge of their training.

These young girls get criticized left and right by people who have no idea what their day to day is. They are juniors, for heaven's sake. They need time and experience and they should all be encouraged!
All of these are extremely good points. Particularly the last one.

I love the thought that sometimes music is chosen because it isn't a good fit and to push them. Much better at 13-14 than at 16, 17, 18, 19.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Coach Laura Lipetsky's Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/Cuj84sErFqx/ says about Michael Xie:

Congratulations to Michael who got into UC Berkeley. I graduated from UC Berkeley and it was a great experience.
Michael has chosen to put school first and will skate on the side when he can or when school schedule allows. Wish Michael all the best with his new chapter in life.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there anywhere to watch junior men's free?

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You can see Junior Cup and Skate Milwaukee videos here now:

Not sure if every skater is there or not.

midori green

On the Ice
Jiaying Ellyse Johnson and Jessica Jurka (12th and 15th at Junior Cup) are competing in Junior Women Group A at Skate Detroit this weekend.

Lorenzo Elano (6th) and Taira Shinohara (7th) are in Junior Men.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know of any videos for the Jr Men FS?

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2023 U.S. Junior Team Cup - Jul 6-7, 2023
Milwaukee, WI - Pettit National Ice Center | Results | listed in skate order

Junior Men SP
Group 1
1 Beck Strommer, Alpine SC
2 Nhat-Viet Nguyen, Dallas FSC
3 Michael Xie, SC of San Francisco