Increase advancement (to FS) in Pairs from 16-20 in ISU Champs? | Golden Skate

Increase advancement (to FS) in Pairs from 16-20 in ISU Champs?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Israel and Great Britain put forth a proposal to ISU for increasing total number of competitors in Pairs that advance to the free skate from 16 to 20 in ISU Championship events.

Source (59th ISU Ordinary Congress, Las Vegas, June 2024): https://bit.ly/4bEWnb4

What are your thoughts?

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I think 20 is sensible for pairs if they want to keep it lower than singles. It is what Ice dance has already at both Euros and Worlds. Pairs currently has 16 for Euros and 20 for worlds. I think it should be the same for both championships (and also for 4CC).

Ideally, all four categories should be treated the same. However, the 'extra' groups this would create in pairs and ice dance would slightly increase the time needed.

RUKen

Rinkside
Israel and Great Britain put forth a proposal to ISU for increasing total number of competitors in Pairs that advance to the free skate from 16 to 20 in ISU Championship events.

What are your thoughts?
Twenty pairs have advanced to the free skate in the World Championships since 2019. I think this proposal is intended to extend that limit to the European and 4CCs Championships. There are often fewer than seventeen pairs in these events, but in the 2024 Europeans, there were eighteen entries, and two were eliminated before the free skate.

I see no reason to have fewer free skate teams in Euros/4CCs than at Worlds.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Twenty pairs have advanced to the free skate in the World Championships since 2019. I think this proposal is intended to extend that limit to the European and 4CCs Championships. There are often fewer than seventeen pairs in these events, but in the 2024 Europeans, there were eighteen entries, and two were eliminated before the free skate.

I see no reason to have fewer free skate teams in Euros/4CCs than at Worlds.
They're returning to 16 pairs advancing at Worlds next season, so the proposal is to keep it at 20. It refers to rule 378, paragraph 5e), which is for the 2024-25 changes for Worlds when the qualifying rounds return.

I'd like it to be 20 for all four championships, instead of having them all be 16 again.