Medvedeva vs Zagitova | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Medvedeva vs Zagitova

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sorry for two posts in a row.

So, has it been confirmed that the Russian skaters will 100% be competing in the Olympics under the Olympic flag as “athletes from Russia”? I apologize if this has been answered and discussed elsewhere, and if it has, if someone could so kindly point me in the direction of the thread or article, I’d appreciate it. :yes:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Oh my god, my brain just spontaneously combusted from reading that. :bang::palmf: Such an unnecessary, untrue generalization of Canadians.

Also, don’t be naive, they judges were ready to give Gracie the title after she smashed her SP and Evgenia wound up third in the short. Then, the freeskate happened, evgenia found her form again while Gracie bombed. :confused2:
Evgenia wasn't nearly as good back then, though. Rewatch her skating from the 15-16 season and her skating from early this season(When she wasn't skating without being able to feel her other foot). She's very clearly better now. It's not the 15-16 Zhenya this season.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Evgenia wasn't nearly as good back then, though. Rewatch her skating from the 15-16 season and her skating from early this season(When she wasn't skating without being able to feel her other foot). She's very clearly better now. It's not the 15-16 Zhenya this season.

Oh of course, I completely agree with all you’re saying! 2015-16 was Zhenya’s rookie year on the senior circut, but it was still quite a phenomenal one, only losing once, to Radionova at Rostelcom. Her PCS alone has improved so much in the last two years, and despite what the naysayers are thinking, I’m of the opinion that, for the most part, she deserves the scores she gets.

Procrastinator

On the Ice

I actually disagree wholeheartedly. I thought Evgenia was a more fluid skater then, with better programs. Her programs the last two seasons don't even give her time to hold a deep edge for a second.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I actually disagree wholeheartedly. I thought Evgenia was a more fluid skater then, with better programs. Her programs the last two seasons don't even give her time to hold a deep edge for a second.
That has nothing to do with how good of a skater she is. You really think that if she went back to her 15-16 programs she wouldn't perform them better now?

Manitou

Medalist
Not in 1998, the Olympic year.

Yes, you are right. Before this conversation I would bet my property that it was the same year as the Olympics, but now, after I checked the sources, yes, you are correct. How is it possible? I saw it with my own eyes. I remember cheering for Tara on those Nationals.
Either my memory is failing or there is global conspiracy...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, you are right. Before this conversation I would bet my property that it was the same year as the Olympics, but now, after I checked the sources, yes, you are correct. How is it possible? I saw it with my own eyes. I remember cheering for Tara on those Nationals.
Either my memory is failing or there is global conspiracy...

Tara won Nationals (and Worlds) in 1997.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Her FP is not a master piece but her SP PCS-wise is excellent and Med's programs with her ridiculous mimicking and overly busy "transitions" that add nothing to the program

Mimicking is way to project to the audience and interpret the music and character, so it is rewarding in PE, CO and IN component. Overly busy transitions are way to show your mastery with skates, so it is rewarding in SS, TR and CO category. So, it adds something to every component. Its personal matter are those look more appealing than something else, but that is totally different question from the question does that suppose to be awarded with higher scores according the rules. And according the rules, yes it should, because it shows better skills required by those rules.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I totally disagree. Ridiculous mimicking that doesn't suit the music help nothing for IN and meaningless transitions which are just thrown in to gather more points but only make the program look busy for the sake of it no matter if it suits the music or not, those things don't help the IN and CH; instead, they should reduce those PCS. Overy busy transitions only add to your SS when they are done well and with great quality which they usually aren't in Med's case.

It suits imaginative character of the programme and those kind of emotions are evoken by the music. Music can be interpret in defferent ways, and every skater has freedom to interpret it on their own way. Its wrong to claim how music should be interpret always in a same way and is purely subjective to claim what is better way to interpret it... Also, transition is not meaningless if it shows what can you do with your blades and body... Cause music is not the only factor your programme should be speaking with, other factors are audience, ice rink and your blades. All factors should be consider when it comes to scoring..

3flip3loop

Rinkside
Have we strayed from the topic which is "Medvedeva vs Zagitova" not Medvedeva vs other skaters who are also overscored as well

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I totally disagree. Ridiculous mimicking that doesn't suit the music help nothing for IN and meaningless transitions which are just thrown in to gather more points but only make the program look busy for the sake of it no matter if it suits the music or not, those things don't help the IN and CH; instead, they should reduce those PCS. Overy busy transitions only add to your SS when they are done well and with great quality which they usually aren't in Med's case.
You keep going on and on about miming. Take the FS for instance Just about the only significant and extended miming while standing around she even has is before the step sequence. You seriously don't think that that works with the music and atmosphere there? Unless you mean the very beginning with the sounds of the crowd...? But I'm not sure why it wouldn't fit there, either. Wouldn't actually skating around at that time feel more disconnected?

Okay, there also is the part after the loop with the train. So she looks around surprised as the train sound comes. I don't think that's disconnected, either?

It sounds more to me like you just lack musical understanding. There are many ways to interpret music and Medvedeva does it in her own way, but just because it's not like anyone else's doesn't mean that she's not doing it well.

David21

On the Ice
It suits imaginative character of the programme and those kind of emotions are evoken by the music. Music can be interpret in defferent ways, and every skater has freedom to interpret it on their own way. Its wrong to claim how music should be interpret always in a same way and is purely subjective to claim what is better way to interpret it... Also, transition is not meaningless if it shows what can you do with your blades and body... Cause music is not the only factor your programme should be speaking with, other factors are audience, ice rink and your blades. All factors should be consider when it comes to scoring..

The audience is really not a factor. And the blades are exactly my point...she doesn't show blade control by putting in numerous transitions. She throws them in to hide her inability to hold long deep steady edges.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Mystery of the universe.

My 2-cents to get back on track.

I tend to prefer Alina's jumps and spins but Zhenya wins in PCS all the way and deservedly so. But if at Europeans they tighten that PCS difference even more, then I'm left unsure who'd win if both clean, unless the Olympics judging panel have a WTT moment and give Zhenya that 80+ TES again.

I actually went back today to look at WTT protocols, and Evgenia got massive GOEs for that performance (which tbh was probably her cleanest ever, with rippon jumps and clean landings). I don't know if that will happen again, but she is definitely capable of incredibly clean skates. I'm so curious to see her form after the injury and I hope she can deliver more extra clean performances.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I actually went back today to look at WTT protocols, and Evgenia got massive GOEs for that performance (which tbh was probably her cleanest ever, with rippon jumps and clean landings). I don't know if that will happen again, but she is definitely capable of incredibly clean skates. I'm so curious to see her form after the injury and I hope she can deliver more extra clean performances.

Me too because if she does it means she's fully recovered and I'd really like that.