2015 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate Feb 15 Seoul Time | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate Feb 15 Seoul Time

burntBREAD

Medalist
The thing about Gold's performance is that this bomb might light a fire under her, or it could really stick in her memory for a while.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Rough and scratchy, yes, but not heavy. She doesn't PLONK down on the ice like Liza Tukt or Gracie Gold.
Okay, this lost me too. Liza has incredible flow and control on her landings. She's not quite as light as Zijun, but she's still better than 90% of skaters (which is even more impressive when you consider the size of her jumps).

qwertyskates

Medalist
Personally, I never thought Gracie is a brilliant skater. I think she is very packageable, a crowd's darling, but never saw a skate I like from her. I have to wreck my brains hard, but I think Polina is the best hope for US ladies, she;s young enough to bloom into a personality on ice, and she's got the tes goods, in spades.

peg

Medalist
I may be showing my age, but Nancy Kerrigan went to a sports psychologist and as a result rose to show her full potential.

She should have won gold at the Olympics, but the Harding mess created a bias against her.

Liz Manley and Joannie also used sports psychologists to help them get their breakthrough

Ophelia

Record Breaker
The things you learn: apparently the lady with the finest jumps in the last quad or this "plonks" her jumps. :disapp:

Yes, she has great jumps. And yes, she "plonks"/"thuds" on her landings. You can hear it through the speakers. What's your issue?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Often the skater who bombs seems to gain some fight and becomes one of the most dangerous in upcoming competitions like Kerrigan(1993), Wylie (1991), Wagner(last year) and numerous others throughout skating history. I think we forget that all of these skaters have a lot of fight to just get to this level. We give up on many of them prematurely.

Good point. Josh Farris is an example from this season.

Congratulations to Polina, Satoko, and Rika. And hugs to Gracie.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think if she didn't have the injury, things might be different for her. Not saying that's THE reason for this or using it as an excuse for the dismal performance tonight.

We don't really know what's behind the scene. She has another month or so to prepare for worlds and that would be another shot. I won't count her out just yet.

Polina can only improve from hereon too. If she keeps on delivering the goods like tonight on a consistent basis, she's might reach the world or Olympic podium. Who knows...

I have total faith in Polina. She so reminds me of young Caro it's downright spooky. And look how that turned out~

When Joshua Farris completely nuked NHK this year, he went home and GOT MAD according to him. And vowed it would never happen again. I hope Gracie does the same. It's what Nancy Kerrigan did after her Worlds meltdown too.

Get mad. Get even. It's a winning formula! :)

shine

Record Breaker
Sheesh am I the only one who likes Polina's FP?

Nope. I adore it:) I think it's subtle, beautiful and very unique. Definitely not your usual ladies program with overdone music. And I also don't agree with the popular opinion around here that "Polina is being packaged like a 12-year-old". Regardless of how she has skated her programs, her SP this year is meant to be quite mature, and her LP last season was also quite lyrical and grown-up. I think her LP this year is her team's attempt to do something different and perhaps a bit whimsical, while showcasing her versatility by giving her something that's in stark contrast against the Flamenco SP both in terms of music, movement, and impression. It's too bad that it's being received so negatively. I love the subtle details and the musicality of her LP, and wonder if the impact would've been entirely different if she had just used a different and more mature dress (like the long-sleeve red dress she wore at the summer comp last year) so that the fairy portrayal is not all so literal. I felt that earlier red dress really accentuated her lines and enhanced the beautiful arm movement.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yes, she has great jumps. And yes, she "plonks"/"thuds" on her landings. You can hear it through the speakers. What's your issue?
Name several current skaters, not named Li Zijun (who is indeed incredible in this regard) who doesn't do the same/worse?

Scovies

Final Flight
Well, she almost got 60 PCS and that is kinda high... Some judges gave her 8s.

Some judges also gave her 6s, so... :shrug:

Frankly, this event didn't have the greatest quality skating to begin with, so I think 59 PCS is fine in the context of this competition. Liza, Elena, Ashley, and a clean Gracie can all beat that by 5-6 points, easily.