2024 U.S. Nationals Senior Women's Free Skate | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2024 U.S. Nationals Senior Women's Free Skate

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
She skated quite well considering she only started jumping last week..

Also, the commentator is so incompetent..

After Lindsay’s skate… Lindsay Thorngren still to skate….
How do some people get their jobs

I agree Lindsay did well; she did not fall🤗 despite the injury for a start. She isn’t an ambitious “performer” in the sense that Amber and Isabeau are; but I love her quiet demeanor. Wish her well going forward. She and Sarah Everhardt skated opposite each other early in the season at Cranberry Cup where Lindsay won the gold medal and Sarah a runner up..
An old saying: “It isn’t whether you win or liose, it’s how you play the game”.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone know where I might be able to find a link to Wren Warne-Jacobsen’s FS? :pray:

katymay

Medalist
Most improved-IMO- Mia Kalin. While there is room for improvement, I felt she was lowballed on PCS compared to other skaters. Also loved seeing that Lindsay T. has greatly improved her speed across the ice, she looks to be adjusting to growth this year in addition to the injury.

katymay

Medalist
The Women’s LP was a disappointing competition all around. Programs and performances were sub-par IMO.
Most disappointing was Elyse-in practice she was rock solid, perfect run throughs-hit every jump, no loss of stamina at the end. I dunno what happened. After watching practices I felt she had a really good shot of winning it all.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Most improved-IMO- Mia Kalin. While there is room for improvement, I felt she was lowballed on PCS compared to other skaters. Also loved seeing that Lindsay T. has greatly improved her speed across the ice, she looks to be adjusting to growth this year in addition to the injury.
I'm a fan of Mia. I just think she needs some better choreo and to pay attention to the music more instead of just skating from position to position. I don't think it's that she's not musical though. I think when she competes once she gets the quad done she looks upon it as her major achievement. Then she loses her concentration and misses easily doable jumps and, as in the case of yesterday, Zayaks. She earned a 183 earlier in the season and I think she could score well beyond that if she just made the committment to her entire program. I think some feedback from an impartial party would help.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Did anyone listen to the women press conference ? I thought I read somewhere where Amber stated in her win. Yes she mess up some happy landed 3a stated something about not messing up spins I want to verify that.

Is the women going to stay for gala.

Amber and Lindsey or they going to leave.

Last edited:

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
So this got my curiosity up and I went back and watched this skate. Solid debut as well as great jumping, which bodes well for her moving forward. Also being 17 (apparently). But...to me she is just going through a checklist, checking boxes. Something appears to be missing, I think - spark, perhaps - something like that. :scratch2:
I think there are similarities between Lorine Schild at the end of last season/start of this season and Sarah now. She is strong technically but has not yet learnt the art of performance. Lorine is now starting to learn that and hopefully Sarah will too. It is not that long ago that people were saying similar things about Ilia Malinin.

I would like to see Sarah go to Junior Worlds along with Josephine Lee. The experience of a major international competition would be good for her development. Sherry Zhang is already getting that through the Youth Olympics.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Just found Isabeau's free skate on youtube. That was a hard watch. She just looked so YOUNG when she reacted to her skate. So used to this girl with a confidence beyond her years that you often forget her youth.

I hope she doesn't see the comments under the video. So much spite, much of it under the guise of 'concern'. But the concern is just an excuse to criticise her jump technique and make unfounded allegations about her coaches. Not really about her wellbeing at all.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Can anyone tell me why the Women skate back to back days while the men get a day off in between programs? I’d think giving the Women Thursday and Saturday and the Men Friday and Sunday would make the most sense and create the best opportunity for skaters to be rested and capable of showing their best efforts. Not only that I’d imagine having the Men and Women Spread out so that each day will feature one of them would likely help keep the attendance up Each day?

Am I just being ridiculous again for asking such questions?
:scratch2: I’m pretty sure that this is the way it used to be prior to 2010: Ladies SP Thurs, Ladies FS Sat night. What changed is that once NBC took over from ABC/ESPN as the main TV partner, they started making demands to modify the schedule to fit their needs. It began with the splitting of the ladies event IIRC into an afternoon segment and an evening, “TV” segment that consisted of the final 10-12. Then they moved it from Saturday night to Friday night sometime in the 2010s. The reason they gave publicly was so they could deliver more live coverage and avoid competition with NFL playoff games. In fact, they even do this with the Olympics with the popular events. Ever wonder how the swimming, gymnastics, etc. are shown live in US prime time when the events are in Asia? Because of their demand to schedule those events for the early morning locally…

Back in the day, scheduling didn’t matter so much due to the tape delay mechanic - and if I recall, the overwhelming majority of ABC’s coverage pre-2006 was tape delayed. But with the internet, and especially social media, live coverage is virtually a must. That, coupled with billions of $$$ invested, most folks available in the evening, higher ad rates, etc., leads to the executives in charge making these types of decisions. Is it right? I suppose it depends on how you look at it. But at the end of the day, I think accommodating TV/prime time viewing hours is honestly just the nature of the business when the goal of both parties is to maximize viewership.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Regarding scheduling, I agree that it is odd that the women don't get a day off in between like the other disciplines, and an inequity that the others do. I'm not sure it is a terrible disservice, though, as I don't think this is something the women are unused to. Don't they skate on back to back days on the Grand Prix? It would be unfair if it were a surprise change, but they are aware and can prepare accordingly. (I may also be mis-remembering the grand prix schedule and maybe they don't skate on back to back days??)

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nice from Sarah. She is ready to pounce if anyone above her makes mistakes. Just needs to work on speed and transitions for next season.
I love Sarah's power and I am okay with 4 Seasons - it is an excellent learning vehicle for developing your posture and style. Send her out somewhere with Japanese, Korean or European skaters to develop her art appreciation and exposure to very artistic skaters and she will thrive.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From the beginning of the program Josephine had the eye of the tiger. She was not playing games. She had moments when she was concentrating on the jumps but I definitely see growth in her as a performer and she hit a lot of musical highlights. Proud of her!
She is one of my favorites for this event. She is still young and has room to grow technically. Style wise she is excellent and her competitive instincts grew a lot this year.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I so want everything to come together for Lindsay. Talent wise, she should be going to worlds. This wasn't a disaster by any means but she should be fighting for the top spot . . .
I know she is recovering from injury, but Lindsay always gives me nervous Anna Pogorilaya vibes with her facial expressions. She seems to love to skate, but competing seems to make her hold her breath and not breathe until it is over.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
World team should (will) be Amber and Isabeau. I was very surprised at Isabeau's free skate. She is usually so consistent. She has time to regroup before World's and I think she will do well. Amber is so inconsistent that she could come in as high as 4th or as low as 15th. I do not think the US will gain 3 spots.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think the USFSS has made its mind up yet. Ava is in the running though people have to remember she had some pretty bad skates season. She may have been hoping by skating less she just happens to do well at 4ccs and minimize the damage. Isabeau tends tocome up big at the bigger events so don't count her out. THank goodness the Russians aren't competing that could ruin the US' chance for three spots.
Isabeau was 4th at Worlds last year and did well on the Grand Prix. Of course they will send her! Ava should have skated at Nationals if she wanted a chance at the World team.