2018 Four Continents Ladies FS | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Ladies FS

TunaKeem

Rinkside
I adore Mai's FS this season but I think this part is very dependent on judge and audience subjectivity because I happen to think Kaori also performs and interprets the heck out of her Amelie FS. In terms of PCS, I'd give the SS edge to Mai but in PE and IN in their respective FS (not the SPs, where I think Mai wins over Kaori even if neither are particularly adept at interpreting their particular pieces just yet), it's really dependent on personal taste. I do think Mai has been underscored in PCS all season long but finally gained some PCS ground here (she averaged less than 65 in the FS before today).

Totally agree! I guess from an objective view of a subjective component (I know idk what I'm talking about either), the poise and fluidity of Mai's movements I don't think is recognized and Kaori has improved leaps and bounds since her junior years but still could improve on those things but I guess PCS is all over the place these days so who knows!

MiRé

Match Penalty
Dabin - correct edge at Flip, but Lutz entry.
That's not a Lutz entry. You're probably getting confused because you're so used to Med's Flutz looking like Flip :biggrin:

EDIT: Look 2 seconds before. She clearly does the 3 turn

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Totally agree! I guess from an objective view of a subjective component (I know idk what I'm talking about either), the poise and fluidity of Mai's movements I don't think is recognized and Kaori has improved leaps and bounds since her junior years but still could improve on those things but I guess PCS is all over the place these days so who knows!

Yep. Mai is just so fluid and soft in her skating (which is probably why it doesn't work as well in her SP, which needs more sharpness) and I adore it, but I also think the Amelie FS actually really works with Kaori's strengths while masking some of her weaknesses, exactly because of its quirky miming choreography. So while I actualy think Mai should have won here, especially if Kaori's flutz had been called, I can't really consider that Kaori suffers a lot in performance and interpretation comparatively in this particular FS, which I think really fits her. But I'm biased, since I really like this FS.

My biggest PCS issue today is with Satoko, who gets hammered the moment she falls.

AngelENTL

On the Ice
Kaori seems underappreciated here, but I'm a big fan and have been since I was introduced to her this season. Very stoked for her.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Satoko got the potential OBM punishement any chance they get (look at what happened to Wakaba and Mai's PCS in general despite consistency), they are pushing for Russia sweep ladies 123 to make up for well.... you figure it out :laugh:

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
Mai! I end up in tears when she finished right on the music with her ending post, everyone kind of stand up immediately in a split second. The audience were cheering like crazy, finally, after all the hardships she been through this season, I am so glad that she rise to the occasion and do what she could, well deserved podium place. :agree:

Kaori is so consistent! She seems fearless and I am really looking forward to see her in Oly~

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wow, local announcer is interviewing Kaori in Japanese and interpreting into Taiwanese! Go dude! (I'm a translator, can't help myself :eek:: )

Into Mandarin? Or did you really mean Taiwanese?? (Not synonymous.)

I haven't seen the interview, but I would be surprised if the announcer interpreted into Taiwanese??

Congratulations to Kaori, Mai, Satoko. :bow:

Good luck to Kaori and Satoko at OWG :yay:.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Satoko got the potential OBM punishement any chance they get, they are pushing for Russia sweep ladies 123 to make up for well.... you figure it out :laugh:
This laugh of yours if full of genuine happiness, I see. So let your wish come to life:yes:

berry8

Final Flight
DAbin Choi is much slower than the Japanese girls... It seems she lacks energy

This is why her PCS is 10 points lower..

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Into Mandarin? Or did you really mean Taiwanese?? (Not synonymous.)

I haven't seen the interview, but I would be surprised if the announcer interpreted into Taiwanese??

Congratulations to Kaori, Mai, Satoko. :bow:

Good luck to Kaori and Satoko at OWG :yay:.

There's no language such as Taiwanese, i think you mean Chinese Mandarin.

BTW how come Ashley is not here.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
This laugh of yours if full of genuine happiness, I see. So let your wish come to life:yes:

It is as genuine as these inflated PCS, the higher it boost, the louder my laughs get. :biggrin:

Globetrotter

Medalist
Quitely honestly, don't understand the 16 points between her and the 15 years old Alina who get 75 these days, or 20 points separate Alina and Soyoun. TES is one thing, PCS is quite another... they can add 2 or even 3 quads, and till not enough...

PCS scoring is completely in outer space realm these days. Even Mao and Yuna at their best were hard pressed to get 63-64. Nowadays, hunched posture, skating through the music and doing moves for the sake of doing them gets 75. I seriously don’t know what to expect any more as the ISU guide just don’t seem to be making sense relative to the PCS scores. Don’t get me wrong, I like how Zagi is focused and fearless and that Zhenya is full of X factor personality and CaroK has the best basic SS. But.....that is still not valid reasons for crazy component scoring.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I just got back to my hotel room and watched the top three ladies and just W O W ! Kaori and Mai totally sold the hell out of the program and this is the best I have ever seen!! Imo they totally deserve their PCS, I might even think Mai deserve a high Performance score because today she made me teary. However, Satoko's PCS seems a bit low compared to others, but I do agree with the final standings. It is better to shake off some mistakes and release the emotions now (I cannot control my tears whenI see Satoko crying :sad4:). All the best at the Olympics ladies!!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
There's no language such as Taiwanese, i think you mean Chinese Mandarin. ...

LOL, Taiwanese *is* a language. As I said above, it is something different from Mandarin.

And as I said above, my hunch is that the announcer interpreted into Mandarin (as opposed to Taiwanese, which is what Sai Bon's post said).

Kaori said she wants to eat xiao long bao.:) I hope they all go out and eat a lot! I wish I could be in Taiwan to eat too!

:agree:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

Ashley declined the US figure skating association invite. Maybe because she didn't get picked for the Olympics and if she is retiring next year she doesn't need the points for the GP season.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker

There is Taiwanese, it is like the local "dialect" or variation of Hokkienese. They are very similar.

Ashley...were you not on Earth the last few weeks lol? She withdrew.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Ugh. I couldn't manage to keep myself awake to watch live and this is what happens.

I'm happy Dabin did so well, gutted for Miyahara. This sport isn't good enough for Miyahara.

This wasn't Miyahara's best performance and, as always, she's isn't the best jumper. But this is one of the most beautiful and intricate LPs this season (her short is better still imo). There isn't anyone out there doing what she does with her blades and her music - and she gets no credit for this in PCS. If we don't care about this stuff anymore and it's just either some combination of a TES proxy and skating while European, then we should just dump the mark and turn the sport into snowboarding - just jump from side to side across the rink. I guarantee if we do that you'll see plenty of fancy jumps - undoubtedly multiple quads - from women since that is what the sport only cares about now anyway. I'm not saying Miyahara should've won necessarily - this is a sport and the jumps matter - but she isn't given hardily any credit for her athletic capabilities let alone her artistic.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
It is as genuine as these inflated PCS, the higher it boost, the louder my laughs get. :biggrin:

They say the more you laugh, the longer life you get...:) Positive suits you. Enjoy this long series of laughs - Oly's ahead, after all