2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluture

Record Breaker
(yeah, calling her "circus girl" or "jumping robot" is taking matters way too far, but then they burned LeBron James's Jerseys in Cleveland when he left the team for Miami heat so naturally people get emotional when superstar skater leave the team they are cheering for), especially considering that there aren't that many of Us :biggrin:

I will only say one thing here: Figure skating is NOT a team sport. You cannot compare it to someone leaving a basketball team since the whole premise is different in its very essence. These skaters are fighting for themselves first and foremost. Kostornaya, Shcherbakova and Trusova come and should come first to Kostornaya, Shcherbakova and Trusova.

To be perfectly honest, I think it‘s almost unfair - this whole TutberidzeForProgress thing. In a sport as cutthroat as (Russian) ladies skating, where you have a very limited amount of time to really establish yourself and make a mark, it IS essential how much you win and when. Tutberidze and her team won‘t have a problem getting new athletes, they will never run out of skaters they can work with. But athletes themselves like Kostornaya and Shcherbakova and Valieva? They have a few years in the sport to stand out and win and sustain themselves for the future. We‘ve heard from Shcherbakova‘s family how much they had to give up for the sport, we‘ve seen it firsthand with Tarakanova. This isn‘t only about the “honour“ of Team Tutberidze, it‘s about whole careers of these girls. That‘s why marketing them as a “team“ and catering to the fans who’d rather cheer for a team than an individual like that, is such a problem. At least in my eyes.

You‘re perfectly free to cheer for whoever you‘d like to. But I think it’s alright to point out that this is neither what the girls themselves want (as said in interviews) nor what might be fair to them as individuals. :shrug:

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I doubt anybody who thought Sasha rellied too much on jumps is suddenly praising her for being quad queen... just because she left certain team

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I doubt anybody who thought Sasha rellied too much on jumps is suddenly praising her for being quad queen... just because she left certain team

Oh, I think they are... and others are doing the exact reverse for the same reason. There is, after all, little logic in fannish love.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
If only one single formula is permissible: "he who is not with us is against us," then I am not in order with this.

If you think that Europeans version of Sasha(she had 1/3 there if I remember correctly, not 1/4 so hypothetical version discussed above is even worse) is better than Russian nationals version of Anna, I am sorry,but IMO, you are either a hater or blind.

Obviously anybody can have different opinion but there is limit beyond which certain opinion screams "I HATE HIM/HER". It's perfectly fine to pick Ronaldo, even someone like Mo Salah or Arjen Robben over Messi, but if you say that Andrey Arshavin(I have nothing against him) was a better player all you are saying is that you hate Messi.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think this is what she wanted too and no matter how successful her move will be, at least she now knows who truly supports HER and not just the name of her club or coach.

Personally, yes, that‘s what I would expect. Sasha is someone you were proud of, you held up as an example. You spoke of her brave character, the quad queen, yes, the Russian rocket. Was this really all just because of her coach? And then, spinning this further, does her identity even matter? Do Anna‘s and Aliona‘s and Alina‘s? Or only as long as they‘re being coached by Tutberidze? And as soon as they leave, they become just like Sasha, not worthy of support?

All so true. The attitude that these girls are only worthy of praise as long as they show proper deference to TT is one of the reasons that they are increasingly disposable. Replacable. Forgettable. The way Trusova and Medvedeva have been treated makes it clear that a lot of people's praise and loyalty to Alina and the other two "little boxes made of ticky tacky" really amounts not to a hill of beans, it's fake.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
If you think that Europeans version of Sasha(she had 1/3 there if I remember correctly, not 1/4 so hypothetical version discussed above is even worse) is better than Russian nationals version of Anna, I am sorry,but IMO, you are either a hater or blind.

Obviously anybody can have different opinion but there is limit beyond which certain opinion screams "I HATE HIM/HER". It's perfectly fine to pick Ronaldo, even someone like Mo Salah or Arjen Robben over Messi, but if you say that Andrey Arshavin(I have nothing against him) was a better player all you are saying is that you hate Messi.

I do not understand what you're saying . What are the limits? This is different for everyone. I often laugh while reading some posts here, but this is definitely not a reason to attack a person who set forth his thoughts here. Statements that someone is blind, etc., do not carry constructiveness into discourse definitely. Just often people look at things from different angles. I will add that Arshavin probably still has a club of fans who loved him in his best times, and continue to love to this day. I can understand them.

Arbitrary

Medalist
Let me to shift the focus from inevitable Trusova's doom toward the good old conspiracy practice (the conspiracy theory is an outdated thing and various practices are being implemented).

I could understand for some time why Scherbakova lost to Kostornaya at Europeans. I concluded she lost only because she received slightly lower marks. The good question why it was so?
OK, let play conspiracies.

I think the ISU Board was informed to prevent by any means placing Scherbakova and Trusova above Kostornaya. May be RusNats Board was kindly asked to do the same.

The reason's good: to prevent "emquadment" [like 'embankment'] of the female skating. Now we have a good example of the proper Trixel Girl clearly nulls and voids two of not so many Quadster Girls.

ISU promotes trixels allowing it in the SP and forbidding Quads. But it's much more pointing and successful to place Quadsters at the lower place. Simple?

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
I will only say one thing here: Figure skating is NOT a team sport.

There are many personal fans in team sports (for example, tons of people follow Ronaldo wherever he goes) and there are team fans in individual sports (if there are teams).

I don't see anything wrong in that.

These skaters are fighting for themselves first and foremost. Kostornaya, Shcherbakova and Trusova come and should come first to Kostornaya, Shcherbakova and Trusova.

obviously.

To be perfectly honest, I think it‘s almost unfair - this whole TutberidzeForProgress thing.

no it is not.

anybody could have gone to any lesser known coach and it would be all about them, any team there would have been their team.

and this :

it IS essential how much you win and when. Tutberidze and her team won‘t have a problem getting new athletes, they will never run out of skaters they can work with.

is exactly why it's not unfair.

If you are trained under a coach who had,has and will have tons of elite athletes, you will be just another his/her guy/girl, if same coach has 3 same age elite level athletes, yes, highly likely you will be called T-SH-K, 3A or something like that. Sorry but if any of these girls don't want to be 3A they need to stand out (ooops,Trusova already did but I am sure for vastly different reasons), there is a reason why entire VUX thing is much less successful than T-SH-K -Kamila stands out (well, at least, yet) and none of 3 girls did really stand out as a leader.

It's price you pay.

Only way to stand out is to become bigger than Eteri,bigger than Russian FS. Alina did and no one calls her "one of the Eteri's girls", to the contrary :laugh:

Lets face it,none of T-SH-K dominated alone (Like Kamila did this season), alone they are just great skaters(and at that, great skaters from a country of great skaters, from a team of great skaters), together they are never seen before phenom. Their successes as TSHK overshadowed their successes as individuals, that isn't Eteri's fault or fault of Marketing.

P.S also, if anybody of these 3 were marketed alone, it was Sasha, after all Quad queen and Russian Rocket is her nicknames, not team's.Before this season she had everything to become more than just one girl from T-Sh-K but... it was never going to happen.

That‘s why marketing them as a “team“ and catering to the fans who’d rather cheer for a team than an individual like that, is such a problem. At least in my eyes.

TGD did more than enough to deserve having personal supporters, so no, I don't think it's unfair.

Fried

Final Flight
Only way to stand out is to become bigger than Eteri,bigger than Russian FS. Alina did and no one calls her "one of the Eteri's girls", to the contrary :laugh:

Oh. Nobody ? Then I only have to dream 4A very often.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Let me to shift the focus from inevitable Trusova's doom......
Nice try .... but alas.
When will it be possible to wait for announcements about choosing music for the programs of the alleged leaders of the season (and all the other girls)? Who has already reported at least something? Lisa T. and Zhenya outlined, as far as I remember. Who else?

Pantsu

On the Ice
And maybe for some she always was a unique athlete, non withstanding who her coach is? Because this is actually something that comes from HER as a person and a human being and has nothing to do with who gives her the skate guards when she comes off the ice?

I realize coaches are important, they do remarkable work. But in the end, Sasha is (or she should be) beloved because she is Sasha, not “TeamTutberidze‘s“. I think this is what she wanted too and no matter how successful her move will be, at least she now knows who truly supports HER and not just the name of her club or coach.

I think all she wants is to win. Any of that marketing talk is not relevant at all

micks

Rinkside
Sasha Trusova and the Contract with the Devil, or how the brand “Pupils of Tutberidze” differs from the brand “Russian Show Business Heavy DeLuxe”

-----

IMO excellent blog posting that fully corresponds with my feelings. Mr Trusov, what have you done?

I can't believe that adult people write something like this. It seems 2 year brain-washing gives its after-effects.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Sasha with 3 quads does not beat Aliona or Anna. Maybe with a 3A in the SP She could, but the scores this past season showed she needs 4 quads to beat them.

At Skate Canada she was clean in the SP (75) and landed 3/4 quads in the LP (166). This is still 6 points behind Aliona‘s GPF scores, and if Anna goes clean would also be behind that (assuming she’s clean and scored similar to last season)

Resa

On the Ice
:luv17:

But I am calling it, this is just starting, in the middle of the season we will have people claiming Trusova to be PCS queen.

To be fair, it could be that her interpretation and her new programs are everything PCS wise, so it's possible she could become PCS Queen "in the middle of the season". We don't know yet.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
So far, I have not seen anybody who went from “Sasha hater“ to calling her the queen.

Well, I definitely see people who weren't interested in Sasha before at all (at best), who are suddenly making most of interest about her now, just because of who her coach is now (or who her coach is not any longer). That's not an inch less wrong than losing interest about her, just not so obvious currently.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I can't believe that adult people write something like this. It seems 2 year brain-washing gives its after-effects.

he is in penalty box again...maybe he will be more angry if he comes back :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.